For the transmission pundits

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  For the transmission pundits

Might be interesting to someone

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/2535811.aspx

posted by  Wally

I don't know if that's going to be "state of the art" - what about the Dual Clutch Sequential Gearbox that several companies are perfecting? I think Porsche is going to sell it soon for the Cayman.

posted by  oplease19

Why are you even comparing a DSG which is already in use in several cars and a fully automatic transmission? Apples and oranges, or... Are you a moron?

posted by  vwhobo

I'm sure I'm not a moron, I'm sure I'm nowhere near as big an asshole as you, and I'm 99.9% sure I'm much more intelligent than you. Given that you have 8,000 + posts, I'm also 99.9% sure my mental health is far better than yours.
Now, to the topic at hand - the article I read was an interview with a Porsche exec about their DSG being used as a replacement for their automatic. I got the impression that it functioned fully automatically. As for DSGs being in use in several cars already, aren't they super-expensive exotics? Again, from what I read I got the impression that DSGs would be used in mainstream cars soon, providing better acceleration and better fuel economy as a substitute for aotomatics. If I or anyone else is wrong about something, have a civilized discussion with them. It's okay if you're a mental defective devoid of all social graces, I guess, but at least make an effort to hide what an asshole you are, as well as your residency in your mother's basement.

posted by  oplease19

Well, you're wrong.

Wrong again.

Congratulations, you just won the trifecta.

A high post count is now an indicator of mental health? Is there any such thing as a quadfecta?

What's that, your itsy bitsy wee wee?

So the entire problem with this thread is that instead of having a full grasp of what it is you're speaking, maybe even doing some research, you're blaming be for the fact that you're a moron. Good job.

Read my last comment... Again. Unless you consider a GTI that you can purchase new for $23k or so a "super-expensive exotic", your assumptions will once again be wrong. Big surprise.

They currently are in limited numbers. Once again, do your homework.

And is this your example of a "civilized discussion"? I'm sorry that you were born with about the same mental capacity as the new pimple on my ass, but that's just your lot in life. The next time you want to have a civilized discussion, start out by having a clue as to what it is you're speaking about. For someone who is by your calculation mentally inferior to you, I seem to know substantially more on the subject, and probably any subject that has to do with automobiles than you. I think your best bet would be to go crawl back under your rock.

Did I mention your are a moron? Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

You're right, a high post count isn't necessarily an indicator of mental health. But there is a whole world of experiences and knowledge out there. Choosing to spend enough time to make nearly 9,000 posts and relishing being an asshole seems a sign of emotional problems.

posted by  oplease19

9,000 posts in 4 years isn't that bad. Thats 6 posts a day.

Stop trying to look stupid.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Of all the gin joints in all the discussion boards in all the world wide web, oplease19 walks into VWhobo. :wink2:

Direct shifter gearbags are hardly automatics in the conventional sense of having things like torque convertors, sun gears, etc.

posted by  Wally

With 7 speed, would i be correct in saying that the shifting would NEED to be more intuitive to effectively make use of the extra cogs?

posted by  windsonian

More intuitive? No, the same math in one more data set with different numbers. RPM vs Throttle input vs gear ratio vs speed

posted by  PontiacFan27

But i can't imagine that just making extra changes would necessarily increase the driving performance (performance not intended to mean speed/acceleration etc etc....... necessarily)

posted by  windsonian

Well, what RPM, speed, and throttle input is being used will allow the TCU to pick which gear is best for the current situation. Slam on the gas, and it will downshift appropriately based on these parameters. Let off the gas, and it will upshift based on these parameters.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I realise how an input--> calculation --> output system works (roughly :mrgreen: ) ... But I think with the extra gears, the changes would need more intuition for a better system. It was more a statement based on the fact that the article mentions the better intuitiveness in the shifting as a positive.

posted by  windsonian

Your Message