Please Help,n/a automatic to turbo 5sp conversion on my 1995 eclipse gs...hopefully

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Please Help,n/a automatic to turbo 5sp conversion on my 1995 eclipse gs...hopefully

I have a 1995 eclipse gs and its naturally aspirated and its also an...automatic. Ive been doing tons of research on the car and all available parts for it, but they dont make that many for my version of the eclipse which is why i want to do this conversion...but dont know how or where to start or what i need...so any help you guys could give me would be most appreciated.

posted by  Aubrey

Okay, so you have a 95 eclipse GS, meaning that you have the 2.0L N/A 420A block engine. The swap that you're talking about to the 2.OL 4G63 block turbo engine is very costly and very time-consuming. The 420A block has the transmission mounted on the driver's side, and the 4G63T has the transmission mounted on the passenger's side. That alone means you would need to get custom motor mounts done, which wouldn't be cheap. As well as all the other parts you'd need at a minimum, here's the list that I can think of off the top of my head..

1. 4G63T engine
2. transmission
3. wiring harness for engine
4. 4G63T ECU
5. shift linkage
6. custom engine mounts
7. intercooler, turbo, related parts
8. boost gauge/fuel filter

And that's not all you would need to do.

Happily, there are other options out there. A 420A manual tranny swap is easily enough done, and there's lots of information on how to do it, and so is upgrading it. The 420A is actually the same block that's been used for a decade, and not just in DSM cars. Mistubishi used it in other cars, and Chrysler used it as well, including all the way up to the SRT-4. So there is tons of upgrades, hell, you can toss a 15G turbo on there for pretty cheap, run it about 8 PSI and you'll be sitting at about 250-275whp on stock internals. If you want to go more extreme, rebuild the engine with better internals, and then you can really lay out some serious power, the block is good to almost 600whp!

IMHO, stick to the 420A, the cost of a 4G63T swap is just prohibitive. You're a lot better off building up the 420A, you'll get a lot more for your money. Look at Hahn Racecraft for a lot of 420A parts.

posted by  dodgerforlife

thanks alot i really appreciate that...the only reason i wanted to do that conversion is because they really dont make many parts for the 95 eclipse gs,well at least i cant find any;all the good parts are for the gst and the gsx

posted by  Aubrey

Heh, you just weren't looking hard enough. Like I said, it's a pretty common engine, so you should be able to find enough parts.

Try Hahn Racecraft, Exile Online, and sportcompactonly

I run a car with a 420A myself, so I've done enough research on these :wink2:

posted by  dodgerforlife

ok cool, i have another question...do you think i could turbocharge my naturally aspirated 420

posted by  Aubrey

Did you read my first post at all, where I said you can slap a 15G turbo kit on that and be sitting pretty with about 250-275whp?..... :orglaugh:

Hahn Racecraft = your new friend ;)

posted by  dodgerforlife

haha...sorry, thats my add kickin in again...whoops. thanks alot,if you have any other tips or anything just let me know, thanx

posted by  Aubrey

hi im also tired of my automatic and thinking of swapping my 420a auto transmission to manual.......anyone think they can give me a quick list of what i would need to complete the swap....o my car is also an eclipse gs

posted by  L0v3_To_g0_FaSt

hey i think i read somthing about this question on this dsm site. if so it will tell u wat to do and wat u need. hope it helps u out

wwwDOTvfaqDOTcom

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

vfaq is so old but still so useful to the dsm community.

posted by  Spanky2324

lol :laughing: thats y i still use it

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

tranny
pedals
shifter
linkages
k-frame
clutch
clutch lines
etc.etc.
and in the end it wont be all that beneficial

posted by  newyorker

Why don't you guys just sell your gs' and go out and buy a GSX:screwy: :screwy:

posted by  Spanky2324

true dat. i agree

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

:stupid:

For the price, it's hard to argue the performance you can get out of a DSM. They are getting pretty cheap to pick up as well.

Get yourself a nice 1G and have some fun. :thumbs:

posted by  Ruiner

thats why i cant get rid of mine. its to attached to me. 1Gs 4 life

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

Thats my next purchase. A 1g for a commuter car. N/A for the reliability factor:wink2:

posted by  Spanky2324

My talon was the most fun vehicle I ever owned next to my conquest. I'll own another 1G someday.

posted by  Ruiner

ok well my friend is really in the same situation as you are except he wants to keep his automatic. He doen't want to get rid of his car because of the mods he has done to it already. There is a cheaper option than swapping for the 4g63 if you want to keep up with the GST. Check out hahn Racecraft they make turbo kits for 420a engines. http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/eclipse/eclipse.htm
Give them a call and talk to them. I believe the stage 1 kit is under $2000. and should get you to keep or beat GST's. The Stage 2 kit will let you beat GSX's.The stage 1 kit alone is cheaper than the 4g63 engine by itself. (when i bought my 4g63 the lowest i found was 1900 with 6 mo warranty)

Now in my opinion if you are attached to keeping your car this is the best option... If not , my best suggestion would be to just sell it and buy a GSX or GST. GSX if u want AWD....

posted by  V-Tec

Who doesn't lol. On another note I blew my turbo and broke my drivers side front axle today that was just placed on there:ohcrap: Oh well the manufacturer I bought it from is sending me a new one and as for the turbo. Time to move on to bigger and better things:mrgreen:

posted by  Spanky2324

i meant if he can afford AWD.:laughing: That sucks i had some bad luck today too. FIrst i went to grab a bite to eat and parked teh car on the street. Come out and the security system tells me that my alarm had been off. I check the car and there is a stress crack on the front bumper which just got repainted three weeks ago. So i go to my moms subdivision and try to relax and bam my alarm goes off again. Someone else backs into my front bumper. I come out and the person is appolidgizing and said he will pay for any damages. I didn't see any new damages but it was dark. I guess i will see tommorow morning if there are more damages. It was only minor paint stress crack earlier.

posted by  V-Tec

Well just have the guy pay for that then. Shouldn't be too much.

posted by  Spanky2324

Your Message