I need help with buying a used car

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I need help with buying a used car

I'm trying to decide between honda and subaru. I'm mainly concerned about engine life and transmission. I will be buying it used with probably 100,000 to 130,000 miles on it. I want to buy a car that will last for a very long time. I know both manufacturers are good, but I've heard a lot of complaints about engine and brakes with honda. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

posted by  luna023

come again... you have heard complaint about honda engines??????????????????:screwy:

subaru is awd so has more active part.. hence more place/chance to have problems

posted by  ateymura

Honda and subaru are both great companies. I know for certain the 01-05 civic auto trannines were bad, havent really heard anything else..both great cars.

posted by  newyorker

you are an idiot

posted by  newyorker

is that what your mom tells you everytime you leave the house?

posted by  ateymura

No, that's what every forum member on here thinks of you.

posted by  GreekWarrior

I can't comment much on the reliability of either, but I can on the price. My roomate bought a 97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with 137k on it for $3200. That is just way too much money for 130-140hp and leaks, plus that was concidered a "good deal" out here. I noticed compared to other options out that, Hondas and Subarus often seem quite over priced (unless you get the older hondas). For instance my other roomate got a Z32 1990 300zx NA with 5 Speed 160k miles in good condition (has had no problems) for $3300. It absolutely decimates the Subaru in every way, (leather interior... power... etc).

The engines do last a while if it is the subaru 2.2L SOHC. They aren't as good on fuel as one would think though, and the cam seals go quite often so it leaks oil (in my friends case onto the header) which makes an awful smell everytime you drive. The engines are supposed to be good for 200k or maybe 220k I think. Thats pretty good, but there are plenty better and cheaper out there.

Hope that helped a bit?

posted by  rudypoochris

I would say pick up a honda. Even without maintenance they seem to still run really well. I remember when I had my prelude that the radiator overheated and blew while I was about 2 min. from work. I still decided to drive it to work and there she sat with no coolant or hose for that matter(hoses had blow holes in them now) I got off work and drove her all the way home(about 22 miles). It was mostly freeway of course but even on the street it held up and got me home safely. When i get a little extra money in the bank I plan to buy another honda for a commute car:thumbs:

posted by  Spanky2324

No...its your general lack on knowledge and relying on assuming that "things with more parts are more likely to break"

posted by  newyorker

it all depends on how are you going to drive it, if you will be killing it everyday with over 100k on it doesnt matter who makes the car...it will evantually fall apart, also, it depends if you care about awd or not, if you dont then go with honda, because the only major concern with them is the timing belt which has to be changed around 100k, other then that if you are using it to get from point A to point B you will be ok, i would also look for manual tranny it will last longer then automatic...another thing gas mileage, four buddies of mine have a 06 wrx, 07 wrx sti, base 98 impreza and a base 2005 legacy, they are all heavy cars (awd gots alot to do with it, over 3k lb) and all do eat a lot of gas for 4cyl (ya ya i know turbo, but impreza and lagacy are bad even n/a) so go with honda and join the club lol

posted by  07exlv6

wow that is sooooo corny, could of been a way better come back then that, sorry dude you suck!

posted by  07exlv6

Hondas are very reliable, everyone who knows cars knows this. Now I know subaru is reliable now, but they are owned by toyota..im not sure how this was before, so I can only tell you honda experience

My moms old 97 civic HX
137k miles when sold ran perfect
My 01 civic lx
115k miles still drive it like i stole it no problems
My friends 1996 honda accord v6
126k miles drives it like he stole it no problems

Then again we have guys in our local club that modify older subarus with no problems either...both great cars, if i were buying id see which was a better deal cause there really isnt much difference in their quality

posted by  newyorker

Toyota owns subaru??? I thought Fuji Heavy owned Subaru... Hmm. I could be wrong though.

posted by  rudypoochris

Subaru is part of Fuji Industries, Japan. GM bought a portion of the Subaru stock, giving them the right to certain Subaru body styles (specifically Impreza wagon models) which they chose to market under the Saab line, and will soon discontinue due to low sales and many common electrical and mechanical problems.

Toyota now owns that 28% as the two companies have agreed to build Toyotas in the underused Subaru plant in West Lafayette, Ind. Wire reports indicate that the companies could begin building Camry sedans in the plant by the end of next year. Subaru will also send a technical team to Toyota for the development of a new vehicle

posted by  07exlv6

But Toyota, just as GM, does not have controlling interest (majority shares) do they? Thats like saying I have 1 share of stock in Toyota, so I own them.

posted by  rudypoochris

no they only own around 30-40% of shares so they dont really own the company, they just work together

posted by  07exlv6

Your Message