Mazda

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Mazda

Hey I have a question. I like the mazda rx-8 and would like one. But I see the the fuel mileage is really bad and was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a more fuel efficient model later or if there's a way to make it more fuel efficient. Thanks.

posted by  davann923

Mazda araparently going to modify their Rotary engine to be more fuel efficient ib 2010 if that helps? I'm sure I heard a whisper that they're going to stick a diesel in it at some point, that floats ya boat!

posted by  Cliffy

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff224/DJspanks/rotary_engine.jpg

posted by  Spanky2324

I think the rotary engine has done extraordinary well considering it had the fraction of development the piston engine had. Stupid how the organisers of Le Mans(I think it was the FIA back then) had to ban them after Mazda the race instead of adjusting the formula to make it fairer.

posted by  fudge

People generally don't buy performance cars for the mileage...if you are worried about that, don't buy one because you won't be able to afford the maintenance either.

posted by  newyorker

X2. repair bills on sports cars can be VERY pricey.

posted by  Satty101

Just like anything else if you drive it nice the mileage wont be too bad, if you drive like you should drive a performance car, it'll suck. Like he said, if gas prices are an issue, affording one of these cars should be too.

posted by  DBain

Well the RX-8 despite only being a 1.3 is pretty poor on MPG compared to a similar sized piston engine, then again it makes the same sized piston engine look VERY poor on power. Rotary engines are great IMO, and apparently the new Renesis motors are pretty reliable to boot(minus the millions of recalls I've heard they can easily go 100k miles, unlike the older gen 13bs that needed rebuilds on a fairly regular basis.

The problem is maintenance. Its like my friend who wanted to buy an EVO* because they can be had in the low 20s now, but when he found out the price for parts such as brakes, good tires, and other tidbits, he changed his mind. Ferraris (I know its not the same tier car) from what I hear have to be serviced every 5000 miles, and not just oil change, but a whole lot, and its not priced the same as a Civic, or even an EVO for that matter. My boss told me its why so many of them are at the auctions, people buy them not knowing the maintenance side of things and then can't afford to maintain them properly.

posted by  newyorker

First time in a while that petrol has dipped below £1/litre in the UK so at least something good has happened. With so few moving parts on the rotary engine you would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild when it goes poop.

13Bs were turbocharged and probably had the boost increased by it's owner during their lifetime so it wasn't a suprise to see them more prone to failure than the new ones in the RX-8.

Converting to LPG is a possiblity as you can run a higher compression ratio due to it's high knock resistance and at half the price of petrol its seems a good idea. However the conversion itself might not make up for what you save plus not many garages sell them(ie you gotta do your research before you set off to refill)

posted by  fudge

All in all I like the rx-8 even if the mileage is bad. I still probably get one if i had a good enough job to pay for it. Has anyone ever seen a tv commercial for the rx-8? Just wondering because every time I see a mazda commercial it's always the 3's and 6's.

posted by  davann923

People need to get the whole 1.3-litre thing out of their heads. Before anybody has a go, I know it's a 1.3, but on paper, and technically only....It wouldn't be a 1.3-litre if it was a conventional engine! So the MPG and performance are about what you'd expect from a mid-range sports car.

Slightly off topic here, but I'm really liking how fuel has gone down in price, as I'm sure is everybody! Near me it's on around £1.07 per litre, although I've heard it's at £1.00 per litre just up the road! Worth travelling for? :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Its a 1.3 but bear in mind that Wankel cycle is different to the Otto cycle. Each rotor creates 3 power strokes per revolution compared to 1 power stroke per cylinder for every 2 revs. Thats why it's hp/litre ratio is high.

Cliffy, the price for crude oil is forecast to drop even lower so enjoy the lower fuel prices whilst the news is frenzied about the 'economy crisis'.
To be honest I seriously doubt they could sustain such high prices in petrol without some backlash!!

posted by  fudge

Gas has fallen here as well. When I got my MSM, I paid 4.35 for 93 octane the first time I ever filled it up, most recently I paid 3.35 for the same fuel from the same local station.

posted by  newyorker

Yeah I hear a barrel of crude in the us is down around $75, when it was around $150 last winter. Oil dropped by a half but gas prices didn't. Still I paid $2.97/gal last I filled up.

posted by  DBain

£0.87 per litre soon I hear....:hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Well since we've shifted our topic over to gas costs, anybody know people who pre-bought or locked in their heating fuel prices months ago expecting prices to go up. I know several people who screwed themselves this way, for example my buddy locked in for the season in june or july at $4.05/gal of oil and right now the rate is between $3.50-3.75 depending where you go. Definately a gamble that was lost.

posted by  DBain

Does anyone know how well the mazda engine can last because most cars these days can easily make it over 100k miles with no problems.

posted by  davann923

newer rotaries are said to be pretty reliable

posted by  newyorker

Your Message