2001 Civic EX Vtec

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  2001 Civic EX Vtec

Hey. I was wondering if it was possible to switch Vtecs. My '01 EX has the fuel-efficient Vtec, and I wanted to put in the Si Vtec. Possible?

posted by  jWESTFOO

No, and just so you know ahead of time, doing ANY tuning or performance upgrades to the D17a2 motor and EM2 Chassis is a waste of time and money.

posted by  newyorker

Speaking from personal experience Newyorker?:wink2:

posted by  fudge

In that case, which engine should i swap into it? I just hate to spend 3k instead of paying my car off.

posted by  jWESTFOO

BTW, I've been reading up on some other threads and people have been talking about just buying a new Vtec head. Maybe I still dont understand enough about it, but that leads me to beleive that I could do the same with a Si Vtec.

posted by  jWESTFOO

Sadly, yes.

posted by  newyorker

The only engine you can swap into your car is the K20a/z_

Unfortunately even then it is not worth it becasue you cant build the suspension the same way as with older civics to handle the power properly. The entire 2001-2005 Generation of civic is the red headed step-child of the bunch, you are better off just driving the thing for what it is, a commuter car.

You cannot bolt up any other head to the D17a2 block other than the D17a2 head, only a D17a1 head can bolt up which would be a downgrade.

The 2002-2005 Si uses a K-series DOHC motor, a DOHC head will not bolt to a SOHC block, I've never seen it done on a Honda anyway. Turbocharging the motor is a waste of money as well.

posted by  newyorker

Wow. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: This is all pretty depressing news. Sucks cause 01-05 is pretty much the only body style that appeals to me. Well, this car only needs to last me till next summer when I graduate and get a big boy job. Thanks for your help.

posted by  jWESTFOO

Just drive the thing. Its much nicer inside and out than the previous gens, rides better, and I still cranked 30+mpg out on my LX sedan 5-speed in the city, sold it with 122k miles and it ran like a champ.

posted by  newyorker

Your Message