Honda vs Toyota Acceleration

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Honda vs Toyota Acceleration

Hello everyone...

So, a few months ago, I upgraded from on older 1996 Honda Civic to a 1998 Toyota Camry (yes, a minor upgrade, but an improvement all the same!).. And I can't help but notice how different the acceleration is in these vehicles, it's like night and day! I've driven other Hondas and Toyotas too, even a Toyota Tundra, and I always notice that Toyotas seem to have a much quicker, smoother response in acceleration, whereas, with Hondas, I generally have to really hit the pedal and gas it up to get it accelerating with the same force..

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this really? And, if so, is there a reason this is true? I'm just curious!

posted by  bfreeman333

You may want to try this theory out on similar models such as compare the civic to a corolla and the accord to a camry. Also pay attention to the size of the engine. I assume that all of the Hondas you drove had smaller 4cyl and the Toyotas had the larger 6cyl..... Just my observation:2cents:

posted by  corbett_auto

V-tec takes too long to kick in, obviously :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

The only Vtec that will help with acceleration is in the Civic Si and the S2000. The Vtec in the regular Civics only help with fuel economy.

posted by  jWESTFOO

It was a joke. And all the Si's minus the EP3 ('02-'05) would be a bit more accurate :doh:

Why they bothered to put that varition of V-tec in my car I'll never know, it's terrible.

posted by  jedimario

Huh. I didn't know they didn't include it on those models. That's a bummer. Ya, I wish I could find and Si head to swap into my 01 EX.

posted by  jWESTFOO

Good luck swapping a B or K series head onto a D series block :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

It's still got V-tec, it's just the same version that's on the "economy" cars.

posted by  jedimario

Your Message