The most tunable Rice Rocket?!?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  The most tunable Rice Rocket?!?

Ok, what would you say is the most tunable Japanese car, it can be anything at all. Obviously, some CFers will chose the Impreza :hi: ...so what else has alot of room for potential? I recon the obvious choice is the Skyline, from the R32-R34, having said that though, the newest shape Toyota Supra can been tuned to in excess of 1500bhp!..and it's RWD :hi: ...So that's my choice, the latest Supra model, twin Turbo too :drool:

posted by  Cliffy

between supra and skyline, skyline wins, its got that fantastic AWD system.

Also, i would think that the 350z will be a force in the hp wars, once a reliable twin turbo or sc setup comes stock from nissan. Greddy already has a nice kit, but it would be nice to have nissan install their own before selling the car.

posted by  importluva

beats me...i'm not a fan of imports, myself. heince the fact i have a Neon.

posted by  SuperJew

Impreza Folks!!

posted by  StiMan

i dont know if you could get the evo up to the hp levels of a supra or sumthing
but its got wicked handling and AWD

posted by  nitehawk_87

my choice is the evo. This month's issue of sport compact car (actually i think the june issue, but i'm not sure) got me hooked one them. Pressing 500bhp in a 4 cylinder (472 i think was the highest) after 2 days of tuning is impressive to say the least, even if it is done by tuning companies (sparco & apexi teamed up on one, as an example). Even so, the evo gets my vote :2cents:

(edit b/c i am stupid and forgot to put what magazine... i should proofread)

posted by  JeffGodOfBiskut

In an Australian import magazine I have, it has an Evo 3 that has 705 hp and does a 9.28 quarter mile.

posted by  abless

i rest my case :thumbs:

posted by  JeffGodOfBiskut

was that the one where they raced it against the 911? that was nice...

anyway, im gonna go with the skyline

posted by  SilverCivicSi98

I would say you could pump the most hp out of an evo, supra, or skyline, but if I were to own any of those, I would pick the RX-8 (I know, it's not on the list).

posted by  abless

Whatever you buy, drop an Autronic in to realise the max potential

posted by  Wally

whats an autronic? :ohcrap:

posted by  SuperJew

hopefully the mazdaspeed version will be out soon. then maybe a redesigned rx7 will be released.

posted by  importluva

Post whore... :fu:

Id go with the Supra... by far the most tunable car in the list.

posted by  mazdaspeed

Do you mean a Mazadaspeed version of the RX-8? That would be sweet.

posted by  abless

posted by  Wally

He has over 1k posts, he has no reason to post whore... How dare you do that to SJ! :fu: (That is to mazdaspeed)

posted by  StiMan

yea i do. i think mazda said something about releasing it here in the US. Here is a little info thanks to import-heaven:

"Mazda Motor Corporation announces the release of a limited edition RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version, which is based on the RX-8 and fitted with Mazdaspeed* brand tune-up parts for enhanced sports driving performance. The RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version goes on sale from the middle of February at Mazda Anfini and Mazda dealerships throughout Japan.
The new RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version is based on the RX-8 Type S. Mazda has tuned up the engine using it's exclusively designed PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to match the modified intake and exhaust systems of the Mazdaspeed Version, as well as going through balance adjustments around the eccentric shaft in response to the lightweight flywheel. Mazda has also tuned up the suspension and fitted aero parts to further enhance sports driving performance. Those modifications, carried out under Mazda's strict quality control system, provide the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version with well-balanced performance.
In addition, the RENESIS rotary engine has been further improved to deliver greater aerodynamic performance and even better sports car driving performance. Sharp, stable maneuverability is further enhanced while maintaining ride comfort, and the vehicle's exterior design supervised by the RX-8 chief designer expresses high performance.
The sales volume of the RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version will be limited to 300 units."

doesnt say much, but it doesnt look like it has f/i.

theres more info about US version here (http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?p=660860#post660860)

posted by  importluva

ya no shit stimans right we need to have a newbie to newbie talk during which u make excuses and i call u a dumbass :fu: :fu: - udont dis ur elders :thumbs:

posted by  nitehawk_87

now what we have here is a true dumbass...i'm just not gonna touch this. if i were a post whore, i would post every single word in a different post. just because i post my opinion in a forum does NOT mean im a post whore. it means i have an opinion at odds with the topic, and i want to share it. how about in every single post of yours i respond with "post whore!!!" yeah, that sounds like a good idea. :fu:

posted by  SuperJew

Really....people who just respond 'Post whore' to a previous post are post whores for doing so lol....Oh crap....that makes me a post whore....but I'm allowed, as are other mods, because we have to warn n00bs about it, right guys? :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

[INSERT PIMPSLAP] Lol...

I dunno Cliffy... :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

lol, i think the "most tuneable" should go the evo, since its a 2.0L 4 cylinder, and you are getting near 500, and if you spend more you can get over 500. (but, we are talking serious money here) The Skyline and the Supra are both impressive, but they have bigger engines. But, i have HEARD(jus rumors ppl) that you can get a Skyline over 1500hp. I'm not sure if this is with or without switching to methanol. I don't know where i read this, but i heard that the Veilside Skyline was in a convention, and it was smoking ferrari's and a 900hp Supra. Even with the ATTESA system, that thing still had to be running around 800-900 or even more. Anyways, dat my :2cents:

posted by  aerith

my opinion is the supra is by far the most tunable rice rocket in existance to this date. ok, so maybe one guy made a skyline that can kill 900hp supras, but how many Supras are out there that can kill such skylines? nowadays, its VERY common to see such power levels on the 2jz's, while in all other cars, its not even as close to common. lets not forget one other factoid, the 2JZ holds the record of the most HP with a bone stock bottom end, which was at around 900hp if im not mistaken (correct me if the numbers r wrong, but im sure it was around that or more). thing is, u have to take everything into consideration, bone stock engine performance and peak output, wat u can produce with strengthened internals, etc. plus, u have all been to the pro drag competitions right? with all the imports? just look at team streetglow and both of their solaras with 2jz's powering them, there is just no way to beat them. dont get me worng, i love the skyline, and the skyline is by far probably the most technological advanced rice rocket due to its ATTESA system and its ability to compete with the Supra like no other rice rocket. those 2 r the kings of their scene, but im sorry, the Supra has proven itself far more than the skyline up to this date. wat makes it better is how it can either be the skylines equal, or better without all the technological advances.

posted by  Inygknok

You need at least 3 paragraphs for it to become an accepted opinion.

No less!

posted by  BavarianWheels

lol fine, heres my 3 paragraphs

you

are a

post whore

:P

there, happy now?

PS: if this is not where im supposed to call u a post whore, well, sorry then, and be sure to tell me when am i supposed to do so.

posted by  Inygknok

It wasn't meant for you n00b...it's an inside joke. Deal with it.

Plus...that's only 6 hits...not 3 paragraphs...

ok so why did u bother quoting me n replying to it?

also, ill just indent next time....

like this..................

posted by  Inygknok

.shkdgws.khi thought this was indenting

and where are you from in Puerto Rico?

posted by  SuperJew

i tried making lots of spaces with the spacebar to indent since Tab doesnt work..... guess spaces dont work either :P

im from the metro area

posted by  Inygknok

Regardless of how much tech is put into a car, the skyline is still capable of being tuned to levels as high as the supra. This still qualifies the skyline as a highly tunable car, maybe even more than the supra.
I would guess that the tuner bias to the supra will change as the skyline arrives in North America. We have many hungry tuners itching to get their hands on a Skyline here, so maybe that will even the odds.

posted by  importluva

Whomever picked the name Skyline...I hope is fired already! :doh: :banghead:

im sure that person has aged a lot and retired or is already dead!

posted by  importluva

Oh...that's true...it's an old name.

My bad...name should be changed. It's like putting the Camry name on a "Supra" type car...I'm gathering from all the hoopla of this otherwise ugly car. :banghead:

haha. i can just imagine how the rednecks say 'skyline' in my part of the country

posted by  importluva

The Supra has the greatest potential for a standard production Japanese engine.. It can produce about 1500bhp before cooling becomes an issue.. The skyline come a close second with its RB26DETT engine that can handle about 1400bhp.. However replace this with the RB30DETT engine (see my name!!) and it will handle about 1600bhp without severe internal modifications.. :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

so the rb30 engine is not in any production vehilces?

posted by  importluva

I think it's still in production vehicles, it's just (VERY) detuned lol...I might be wrong on that one though, as my knowledge of engine codes aint all that great :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

I would have to say Supra Twin turbo.

The RB26DETT comes a close second.

the thing is some people think its cheap to mod a skyline from a 280 BHP car into a 1000+BHP monster. its fairly easy to get 500BHP but somthing completely unrealistically expensive and undrivable on road will get you 1000BHP at the FLYWHEEL.

For thoose who ever think about getting +1000BHP for your skyline. first think about this

Think about methonal for now on. petrol anit gonna get you anywhere else

Think about the inefficient TT system with power outputs like that

think about the hundreds of drivetrains you chew out

Think about buying new engines because you keep launching the #2 piston through the side of the engine block and into orbit.

posted by  Lukaz

In my oppinion the Honda civic is the most Non-Tuneable rice rocket in the world every where i go i see some riced out totally slow ass Civic with a big fart can and lots of stickers! So that would be my desicion :screwy: BUt i have heard the Skyline can get a max HP of 1500AWHP

posted by  87TurboII

point of fact for ya. rb30dett engine only exists in modified form.
rb30 was the engine from the OLD skyline taxis, you might know it as the r31 skyline.
the only performance version that comes to mind for me is here in nz where they took the rb30 block and dropped on the rb26 head and barrel. stuck that to the r33 gts25t manual gearbox
throw that into an old gts4, then sent it up the track in 10sec ish. they spent very little doing that and retained most of the internals from the rb30 and rb26. very few aftermarket parts. that pushes out around 800hp@tw. I think??

so the skyline is my pick next to the older evo's.

same with the mitsy as the nissan, both have a cast iron block. (or rather "had").

Just bolt on more boost,
3.5" pipe straight through,
external waste gate,
bigger injectors,
heavyduty clutch and pressure plate,
bov,
pod filter (maybe give it a cold box too),
then there you go!!!!! 11sec 1/4 from an old evo2 no worries. before any weight loss or tuning.

Internals rated to 450hp as standard.

posted by  Unlicensed

Very smart Guy we have here! :clap: well done matey im impressed. Ive seen a few R31's. how many skyline Release's are there isnt there about 10 since 1957 - present.

posted by  Lukaz

i agree with a lot of people on that the skyline is one of the most tunable rice rockets, but i think the honda civic started it all :thumbs: ever since that 1 kid (or something im not sure how the story goes) cut the coils off his civic, and bolted on a "fart can" muffler, it's turned into an industry, body kits, race springs, coilovers, turbos and nitrous. Not to mention engine swaps. And in the NHRA, where ppl thought only detriot "muscle" could race the strips, the NHRA developed a sport compact racing series, for both run what u brung, and pro rice rocket racing. :2cents: :laughing: :clap:

posted by  allroundcarguy2

Very True some kid probably put some big ass fart can and lots of stickers and painted his hood balck and started the whole revolution but the Skyline GTR Spec V has been known for the most horsepower in a japanese car along with the Supra TT's also have been know for horsepower i would like to see a drag race between them both pushing out about a 1000hp. It would all depend on the dirver. Another great tool in the skyline is the button that turns off the awd so that you can have some fun in it so i would like to see a 1000hp supraTT and a 1000hp Skyline GTR Spec V. That would be a good race.

posted by  87TurboII

if only those 2 could handle just as daaaaaaamn good as an RX-7 with just RWD..... now those would be examples of the perfect cars :D

posted by  Inygknok

very quick reply while the boss is out.
latest performance car mag has gtr v supra both pushing 485kws at the wheels roughly (dont quote me on the exact power, but identical!)

i believe the skyline had the toyota pipped by a couple of tenths on the 1/4.

I'll go and check my records in a bit and edit later.

btw, I've got a big head now thanks to lukas! :oops:

see ya agian soon peeps!

okay! editing time! the cars both have 435kw at the wheels. and the r32 pipped the supra's et by 1 tenth of a second. the r32 is lighter and had a 2wd switch for the drags. given that, I'd say i haven't helped in the slightest with the skyline v supra debate! sorry!

posted by  Unlicensed

The r34 Japtaxi has more aftermarket parts. easy to do up but very costly as you need to replace most of the internals to make nice big hp figures.

Supra motor is stronger in stock form.

But for most tunable.. Isn't that a car that responds very well to modifications? A simple replacement of the exhaust or larger i/c? As for most people, that's all they can afford.

As for twin turbo... Give me one nice big turbo anyday. :)

posted by  57ock

depends...... an easy car to tune is of course a civic... most tunable,.,,., mostly any of the 90's supercars (twin turbo cars). anything from 1500hp supras to 900hp rx-7s that weigh 2,000 lb's (im guessing that theirs one out there)

posted by  jzxTT

Your Message