Acura TSX vs. Honda Accord EXL

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Acura TSX vs. Honda Accord EXL

Hi everyone. Help me make a decision.

I'm purchasing a new car in the next week. I driven everything under the sun in the Family Sedan class. For reasons I won't get into (boring details) we have narrowed it down to a Honda Accord or an Acura TSX. One important point, we drive our cars until they drop. As an example, I am replacing a 1992 Honda Civic with 200K on it.

The Accord we picked is a bit unique. We chose the EX model with leather but with the 4 speed MANUAL transmission (165hp). It makes the 4 cylinder just as punchy as the 6 IMO and gets better mpg. The 6, BTW, is not available with a manual transmission. This is a great car and I have a price in writing at $21,300 which I believe is a good price.

The TSX is a slightly smaller Accord in principal although it is based on the European Accord which is very different than the American one. It's got all the options of the Accord and a few other nice details (much better sound system for instance). I like the look of the Acura better and with a 6-speed 200hp engine it is more fun to drive. I can get this car for around $26,000 (haven't negotiated one yet so not sure how much I can get off). There is one available at a nearby dealership with some dealer-added features (fog lights, spoiler, upgraded wheels, etc.) that I can get for $26,600 which is $5200 under the MSRP.

So my delima is, do I go conservative and safe with the Accord or step out a little with the Acura. While I can afford either, if I go with the Acura that's about $4,000 I don't have to spend on other things. Financially I can't really justify it but are there other reasons to go with the Acura? So my question to you all is, what would you do? Anyone have or thinking about a TSX? New Accord? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Walman

posted by  walman

IMO they are both the same vehicle...some slight differences. Treat yourself to the nicest one.

posted by  BavarianWheels

i dont think its safe to say "they are the same vehicle" the tsx is much powerfull much eligant and also much more better looking than the accord (i could jus keep on going).. theres every reason in the world to get the tsx, while in the other hand, all you can say about the accord is.. "its much cheaper".. id personally go wid the acura, its jus about 4 or 5 thousand dollars more... and besides, there are so many accords out there. go with something less common. by far, id go for the tsx.

if you get the accord, im pretty sure in the future you would wish you've gotten the tsx instead.

btw, have you ever tried out the mazda 6? id choose the mazda 6 over the accord any day....

posted by  Ki2AY

You mean to tell me that
http://www.engine-power.com/img/specs/acura_tsx_05.jpg
Is so much more different than
http://www.hondacars.com/images/banners/2004/accord_sedan/exterior_gallery/ photo_05_large.jpg
This???...

According to their web site, the TSX has a 200hp V6 and the Accord EXL has a 240hp V6...

Hmm Honda Accord or Acura TSX. Just out of personal preference, I would go with the TSX.

posted by  abless

man, id get the accord. its good enough for its purpose, hauling the fam. id save the extra money for a 350z :mrgreen:
btw, id get the model before the current one, the current one looks like a$$.

posted by  importluva

but you cant compete with the 240 hp engine... :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

I hate the design of the new Accord sedan.

I would take the Acura hands down.

posted by  rvl123

who wants to see something really cool?
acura tsx
http://acura.com/images/tsx/tsx_gallpop_img10_ext.jpg
http://acura.com/images/tsx/tsx_gallpop_img2_ext.jpg

and
honda accord (JDM)
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accordeuro-r/image/top-image.jpg
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/accordeuro-r/photo-lib/image/photo03.jpg
WOAH! THEYRE THE SAME THING...
yeah, get the tsx... real deal, plus they look better

posted by  mazda6man

Still deciding.

BTW, the TSX only comes in a 200hp 4 cylinder. It's a powerful, fun 4, but a 4 none-the-less.

I agree they are very similar cars, with the Acura edging the Accord in areas like elegance. But that is my delima. I agree the Acura is the better ride overall, but I am a family guy so for my needs can I really justify the extra $$s. I know only I can ultimately decide that but your thoughts help.

Walman

posted by  walman

exactly my point, save money for a real fun car, like a 350z and leave the boring stuff to the accord.

posted by  importluva

its jus my opinoin.... i really feel the accord isnt on the same lvl as the tsx.. dont just compare them both by their engines.

~besides.. tsx looks super better than the accord just like what everone has said in here.

posted by  Ki2AY

It's just my opinion too...that's what walman is asking for. He'll make a decision based on his own opinion also.

...and for the record...they are basically the same car...one with chrome exhaust tips, the other without.

My pick of these two would be the Accord.

ok i guess....

this is off topic.. bav, cliffy, and everyone that works on this forum... is there something going on with the server? its been laggin more than usuall, and im gettin a page cannot be found error everytime i click a topic.

posted by  Ki2AY

It's happening to me too...

i feel you man, sometimes i get a "Connection is denied" message when i type the address into the url bar!!

unfedfat said he would install more memory...

posted by  importluva

Yup, I'm getting that too, Uff has it in hand I believe..as for the initial quesion...Bav, It is my opinion that both cars look totally different. I'm a bit confused as to which is which though lol, anyways, I'd go for the European style of Accord mearly because I just cant stand the design of the version you guys in the USA have, no offence is meant by that remark guys, I just think your version leaves far too much to be desired! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

I noticed that too. When I ws in Australia, the Accords were much nicer than they are in the States.

posted by  abless

None taken...I don't design the cars. :wink2:

yeah dude, you Europeans get all the good designs, and we get sh*t...but then again we all have the Bangle-designed BMWs. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

Yes...there is a slight skew to the great Euro design...but he's out now.

really? Bangle's out?? PRAISE THE LORD!!!! :banana:

posted by  SuperJew

I would go with the Acura TSX, I know that 4k is alot to spend just for fun and the looks. But with an Acura you also get the feeling of "I own a acura" which sounds much more satisfying then "i own a accord." The 4k is worth it, you not only get the 35 extra hp, you get the nicer leather interior. But if you hav kids, then go with the Accord, it has much more room, and the 4k can go towards something more useful like gas! Man gas is getting expensive! I do not think that the 4k would be very useful for getting a 350z. That thing is pretty expensive.

posted by  aerith

honestly i'd go with a TSX. I prefer the new looks of them over the accord... just throwing in my 2 cents :2cents:

posted by  MrBojangles

Walman go man with the TSX, you would drive it until it reaches 500k km and then you would see that was worth every penny (by then you would get bored of it).
Moreover TSX is MADE IN JAPAN, where is made Accord ? (might be OHIO, or somewhere else, but Japan). I am not sure but I think, TSX is the only car on the market MADE IN JAPAN.
Good Luch and I am pretty sure the TSX is the big deal, for only $4000 difference between the two, I wouldn't even think about Accord (I own an Acura and I have on it 315 000 km and it still runs great and looks like new)

iulianastb   10 Sep 2012 05:03

Your Message