EVO Vs Imprezza

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  EVO Vs Imprezza

Mitsubishi Evo VIII FQ-330 Vs Imprezza WRX STI WR1

ok ive always wanted outside oppinions on theese 2 beautys

the mitsubshi Evo VIII FQ 330 (330BHP 315lb ft of torque @4500rpm)

Imprezza WRX STI WR1 (315BHP 310lb ft of torque@4000 rpm)

Both have always been like evil twins who want to destroy one anthor reputation

Both will hit 160mph and 0-60mph in 4 seconds

And this battle anit just about speed cos the evo would probably win.

so then Let the battle begin :clap:

posted by  Lukaz

there is a FQ-340 aswel incase you didn't know. (i would replace the FQ-330 with the FQ-340. that way you got the best of both cars)

Evo VIII MR any day although the WR1 is a nice and quick car too.

posted by  WeaponR

have you seen the top gear video, its just embarassing watching that.

dunno about the WR1 as it is limited prod. ONLY in UK so US people dont really care.

posted by  importluva

I'll save you the trouble of even listing those two cars for comparisons. After numerous debates with imporluva on the STi and Evo subject. A general answer can be "User Choice". Because the two cars are so closley matched and where one falls the other stands up. To close of cars to even declare wich is better, its kinda like the US President thing. You can't win by one vote you gotta beat the competition by alot. Wich in this case neither car really whups on the other. Its all a matter of what the user prefers. But of course I would say the Evo is better :)

posted by  DSMer

:stupid: FQ will kick STi butt, no denying it. But i still love the good ol regular STi available in the US, non Spec C and non WR1

posted by  importluva

It will kick its but, but it won't masacre a WR1. So its all up to the buyer. You know an FQ would put and STi to shame, but I bet you would still drive out the dealership with an STi. Buyers choice..

posted by  DSMer

The Lancer would win because it's prettier, and because I said so.

posted by  Integra_LS

Haha, I think the STi would win with the styling. Unless it was an Evo7. Because the new Mitsubishi front ends look like something that would be found on a Pontiac Sunfire. No pretty, looks like a bird beak from the side.

posted by  DSMer

when it comes to stylin', the STi wins! i hate the new Evo look! like DSMer said, it does look like a birds beak :laughing: but then again the stock Subaru doesn't look much nice either especially the rear but when it's got a body kit attached to it....... :drool:

i hav'nt seen many Evo VIII's with body kits around here though. its like everyone kits up a Subaru

posted by  WeaponR

The Evo8 is'nt THAT bad, but I would seriously consider putting a 7 front dam on there. Think thats bad I saw a guy the other day riding arround in a Lancer with a body kit(it appeared to be a Kaminari) but he had a damn subie hood scoop. I was thinking like oh man that guy needs a serious asswhupping.

Also I don't know if the Evo8's have any body kits available for it, I may be wrong though...

posted by  DSMer

you think thats bad huh ever seen civics with skyline bumpers/lips? :laughing:

DAMN! look what i found DSMer, a Veilside Bodykit (D1 GT) for the Evo VIII....check it out yo! there's quite a few more too. check out this link... vividracing (http://www.vividracing.com) for more. click on Mitsubishi down the left and enjoy!

Pic 1 (http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/images/veilsideevo3.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/images/veilsideevo4.jpg)

posted by  WeaponR

Hmm I guess you are right. Never seen a kitted evo before. Apparently there are about 10-12 kits available.

posted by  DSMer

me niether. all the Evo's i've seen are left stock in stylin' apart from a little touch here and there but nothin' major.

that Vielside kit (V1) looks nice too!

posted by  WeaponR

I live in the US, so I am viewing this as the US spec Evo vs. the STI. The sti in america wins on 0-60 (just 4.9 or 4.6 sec), on hp (300 to the Evos 271) and looks (in my opinion). :2cents: It just cant compete... the Impreza is better (in my book). :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

look...in the end its all about user preference, like DSMer said. i prefer the new US-spec STi when compared to the US-spec Evo 8. someone else could prefer the evo because they like the styling better. this poll is essentially pointless because of this fact.

posted by  SuperJew

it i could choose to own any of the years of the lancer or impreza, id choose
these two
http://www.otway.com/car/meets/sti_vs_evo/images/evo5.jpg
evoV and the 97 STI

posted by  mazda6man

Very true... very true...

posted by  StiMan

hmmm *thinks to himself* user preference.... :thumbs:

there's not much of a difference between the two any way but i prefer the Evo VIII MR.

posted by  WeaponR

This battle again...? :roll: Been here before.. :badrazz: It has to be on every forum on the net!! :sleep: If you came over here it is a completely diffrent story, the EVO is much more powerful and handels and accelerates far better. However the STi is the more comfortable to drive and live with over here and the EVO is the more hardcore racer.. For my preferance see my sig and my avantar!!! :smoke: :thumbs:

Oh and WeaponR, there is an FQ450...!! Mitsu got pissed off with Subaru chasing them in the BHP sector and decided to bring out something that will take Subaru a good little while to match..! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

WHAT!! FQ-450!! u kiddin' me?

thats 450 horses right? i think Subaru are goin' to need to think about this one very carefully

well done to Owen Developments (UK) Ltd :clap: not Mitsu :banghead: its some company in Oxfordshire that are developin' it. they're responsible for developing and manufacturing the FQ power upgrades for Lancer Evolutions for Mitsubishi Motors in the UK. and its not a new model either! it's a upgarde i.e turbo kit which can be purchased with startin' prices at £2,160 and it's also available for the Evo IV, V, VI and VII.

still, a 450hp Evo is something i would want to see in action! :thumbs:

posted by  WeaponR

In the US it is quite the opposite. The Evo is more a daily driver than a STi over here. The STi accelerates (sp?) faster, has more power, etc...
But we have been here many a time...

posted by  StiMan

Haha mitsu does'nt even need to push a Evo to 450HP, but that will keep Subaru out their ass with those 300+BHP until they make some monster EJ20T with like 500 BHP. Making the FQ450 was just a way to flex the muscles of the Evo... I personally see the greater potential in the Evo. Again its personal preference..

posted by  DSMer

The reason I stated that I liked the evo more because of styling is just that. Both cars are very similar and have their strengths and weekness. Neither of them would I buy though. The older J-Spec Lancer Evolution in the movie "Who Am I?" by Jackie Chan is one I would love to get though. I am not sure which version it is, but it looks great. It's a mitsubishi car I would pay for.

posted by  Integra_LS

Imprezza- my favorite car, due to the fact that it doesn't exist. Learn how to spell then come and talk. :guns:

posted by  Patrick

Well, it is true that the current US spec version of the STi does beat the current US spec version of the Evo. But i think the MR is scheduled for release this year. And it is J-spec so we finally get what the rest of the world gets. I am sure everyone knows the MR's specs, so i don't have to list them. The MR beats the STi in almost every category except styling, because that is personal preference. It doesnt really matter which performs better, because most of the people who buys STi's and Evo's do not actually race them, they just keep them in their garages to look good. So its all personal perference after all.

posted by  aerith

MR suck balls :fu: :finger: :asshake: :tomato: :banana:

posted by  importluva

Haha, chill out buddy. Somone is a little pissed that subies finally don't look good on paper.

posted by  DSMer

why doesn't one of the mods close this thread? it's never goin' to end and in future you shoud put some where big and clear, no more Evo vs. Impreza threads or polls (MOPAR)

my view once again, the Evo VIII is better than the STi right now due to the upgrade models, MR's :thumbs: if it wasn't for the MR's, i don't think they would be much of a power difference between the two. FQ-450 :wink2:

posted by  WeaponR

ok yea this is dragging on a bit :mrgreen:

lets just agree that evo and imprezza will always compete untill they either agree that 1 is better than the other (lets face it that anit happening)

or 2. they build something just stupidly powerful that no one would buy it like i dunno the EVO FQ-1250 :doh: :thumbs:

or 3. who cares to each there own! :smoke:

posted by  Lukaz

how about Evo and STi mergin' together? :clap: then they would be no more of these dumb comparisons between the Evo and the STi :thumbs:

Lukaz, EVO FQ-1250 now i think that would have to be a drag!

"If you must have the power, then the STi is your car. Nothing short of a Porsche Turbo will outdistance it from a stoplight and it produces a sensation of speed beyond most musclecars, thanks to its prodigious torque and ultra-short gears. The EVO, however, is amazing on different, but equally impressive, terms. Its precision can't be measured by acceleration, turning or braking tests. It's sharp and focused where the STi is brutal and bullying. It rotates and carves when the STi turns and shoves. It whispers when the STi screams. It's subtle when you want it, yet devastating when you need it. And the bottom line is that the few arenas of performance where it gives up speed to the STi aren't enough to sway us from its hypnotizing performance. This time we choose understated precision over extroverted force. This time we choose quality over quantity. And this time we choose the EVO over the STi. This time."

posted by  WeaponR

my money is on the wrx sti... F**K mitsubishi

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

lol :doh:

here we go again

posted by  Lukaz

lol sorry... just had to jump in there... hahaha

Not a problem matey :smoke:
You should introduce yourself ...

Anyway Welcome to the forum and i like your signature. nice 3000GT :thumbs:

posted by  Lukaz

Right, this coming from a person whom either idolizes a VR-4 or even worse, owns one. How about stating some technical comparisons rather than just "F Mitsubishi" like thats some legitimate answer.

"Umm, i pik sti cuz umm its perty"

posted by  DSMer

not to mention, he did say "F*** Mitsubishi" and he might own one himself...... either something is wrong there or its just me....

posted by  Inygknok

Ok I'm Dorian... as you guys can see from my sig pic... I drive a 94 VR4

First of all... No offence DSMer,

Second... I love my VR4... I think its one of the F*cking badest cars around... I had an 89 Supra,which was a pretty nice car at the time... but I will never trade my GTO for a supra... not even a MKIV (which I have driven them, including some with lots of mods ). I also have a 94 Eclipse Base - which is my beater... and I also drive 3 more cars for work... but let not get into that...

I'm a huge Mitsu fan... always cheer for the Mitsu Rally team... and well most of the members in my family also own mitsus... (Monteros, Galants, eclipses)

I'm also a fan of the EVO VIII MR (J spec - 6 speed)... I was pretty pissed off with the us version of the EVO... f*cking crap on wheels! even if I know of some 11 sec evos... what ever!

the reason why I said F* mitsu its because they suck as a company... any company that would send people to spy and write down vin numbers at a track to void people's warranties is pretty low (talking about EVOs here). Thats why I said F* mitsu...

but a STI is a much better car... I have seen friends race... (evo vs sti and the sti has won 4 out 5 times). Call it bs... or what ever you want... but the US spec EVO sucks! Put in a J spec Evo into the race and well... I will pick the evo...

on a side now... my friend with the evo... has had his tranny rebuild twice already... while my friend with the sti still shifts like butter...

actually I love the way the EVO looks... the STI is ugly in my eyes... :mrgreen:

i think there is sumat wrong here too.....if you don't like Mitsubishi, why drive one. It's like i don't like ugly girls, but i'll fcuk them cos it's p***y :laughing:

posted by  WeaponR

LOL, Oh I like mitsus like I said... its just the company is not great... Here is another one of those examples, read this on some evo forum a while back: Dad and son go to mitsu to buy a evo.... dad explains why he likes the evo so much... being raced inspired and all... sells persons tells them how great the car is... and all the things you can do... at the end of the day... they buy the car and tell the sells person how they wanted to invite him to the track... since he was so nice with them and all... Boy goes to the track and has problems with the car... Dad takes evo back to mitsu and mitsu tell them to f*ck themselves.... they would not cover the car since it has been use for racing... Dad sues mitsu... lol

Mitsubishi Motors is the only car company in japan that doesnt make money... they have forgotten the most important thing about retail... the customer is always right... On an recalls... oh boy... lol us 3/S guys had to beat them with a stick just for them to service our Tcases... and some of us go turned down cuz we have mods... (even if it has nothing to do with the Tcases) Some of us... are just keeping our fingers crossed that shit doesnt brake... but if it does... F* it... we just fix it... lol

here is a great example from our boys at Porsche :D, guy buys 03 carrera s4 from dealership (his 3rd porsche, yeah this guy is loaded) tells the sales guy if he should take it easy at first to break in the car.... Sells Manager says... take it to red line! if it breaks will give you a new one! :D now thats customer service!!!! hahaha

anyway... back on topic... the evo feels funny at low speeds... if feels like something is wrong... and really the only way to make that feeling go away is to gun it! while the sti feels great at all speeds... I think its a more overall balance car and therefore it wins more races... but please dont get me wrong... you drop enough money into any car and it will be fast as sh*t.

Actually if one lived in US... the STi still looks better on paper because... THERE AINT NO MR!!! Just wanted to get my point across...

posted by  StiMan

I loved that article-- I'm trying to recall what magazine and issue it's from... except for the fact that it chose the EVO. These cars are all about speed, anyway... That's why you pick the Subie. But honestly, folks. There will be no end to this. The cars are both phenomenal, and are too close to call. I say everyone just pick a side, but please- no need to shout it to the heavens! There's nothing on one car that is so much better than the other that it is able to claim supremacy... they are too fairly matched. Just give it a rest- everyone knows full well that they are not going to change their position on the subject. Let it die.

posted by  Patrick

Too bad SJ isn't here. We need that "This thread won't die" pic.

posted by  importluva

Ya...

posted by  StiMan

LOL would love to see that pic... but anyhow... we can begin talking about something totally ramdom... :D like thread pics... hahaha

http://www.fattonyracing.com/neoimages/threadhijack.jpg

here we go...

http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/threadwontdie.jpg

posted by  importluva

lol oh man... thats great! :mrgreen:

There are many threads that never die...

posted by  StiMan

Let Me just start off by saying that I agree that this whole thread truly is based on personal pereference.

So on to my personal prefence :-)

I believe that mitsubishi's are pieces of ****, thier engineering is sub-par and thier quality is definatly lacking. I know many people with eclipses as well as EVO's and they are in the shop all of the time. IMO Horsepower doesn't matter if you can't USE it.

By thae same I have owned multiple impreza's and never had a single problem. I finally upgraded ti a 05 STi, and, after test driving the EVO as well, thth STi is just a blast. And to the final bit of personal preference IMO the EVO really looks boxy and BORING.

Oh and DSMer, keep your opinion to yourself until you actually spend the money and buy the EVO.

posted by  STiOwner79

Car choices are usually all about personal preference.

posted by  StiMan

There both hella tight cars but I would have to say the evo wins. It performs better and it beats the STI in looks hands down any day of the week.

posted by  JDMprelude92

This is getting to be as WORN OUT as the camaro vs. mustang

posted by  04subwrx

Your Message