Some tips for a newbie

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Some tips for a newbie

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to get a nice fast start (in a 5-speed manual) in a drag race? I haven't really had the chance to practice this around town...
i know i know, dragging is childish but i've just wanted an edge on my friend with his bloody just-put-your-foot-to-the-floor automatic

thanks in advance

PS> yes i KNOW i haven't introduced myself yet, i'll do that tomorow or something!

posted by  Burp_McFly

DSMer sounds like the guy you need to talk to. he been drag racin' for some time a think. ain't that right DSMer?

posted by  WeaponR

It depends on what car you have. Each car has a cerain rpm range that is prime for shifting, and also for launching, you launch at a certain rpm depending on the car.

posted by  importluva

well, i drive (or rather; borrow) a Lancer MR i think it's a 1995 or something, i can't remember to be honest. 1.8L engine, all stock parts. If it helps any, i usually shift at about 2500 rpm...granted i'm not exactly trying to put any real power down when i do that....

posted by  Burp_McFly

Just get it up to near redline. Or u could find the actual apex of the car's power with a dyno or just find the specs for the car and look at when the bhp and torque is at it's highest (ex. 300hp @ 6000rpm). Just make sure the shifting is smooth and quick. I've had many time when I shifted my RSX Type-S poorly and been defeated by an automatic camry. Sad sad day, although it was a v6 camry mind you. Anyways, practice on quick shifting. Also, you can use the E-brake for some boost in the beginning.

Oh and just a though, shouldn't this be in the general section? :thumbs:

posted by  zipper

Although knowing all that garbage above this post is all well and good in proper perspective, it is simply practicing which will make you better...even if you don't know the "proper" rpm range...

posted by  BavarianWheels

Damn, no love in this place... It the way I do it and it seems to work.. I think :ohcrap:

posted by  zipper

You took it wrong...garbage only to the one that doesn't use the knowledge or to the one that doesn't know. :thumbs:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Well first you need to master proper shifting before you try to do fast shifting. Just go down the street and change gears all the time till u figure out just how far you need to press the clutch until the tranny is disengaged. On some cars u need to pus it down all the way all the time. On my car about halfway down 'll do the trick. Second, don't redline it. You lose valuable time during the tire spin (if ur car is powerful enough). A general rule is about 1000 rpm before redline thats peak shifting time. Also depends on how your car is tuned. In the games they shift @ redline and thats what people copy because they think it makes most power, BUT those racing cars are designed for high RPM power. Ur car is not. @ a dead stop practice what RPM causes a fast launch with minimum tire spin. Usually 3,000 RPM. When u get used to fast shifting. Ignore the grinding sound you hear when shifting gears. Yes it does wear the tranny but if u slow down ur shifts u go alot slower obviously. 1st and 2nd gear just florr it till u shift gears. About halfway through the 3rd gear powerband hit the clutch. It'll give a tiny power boost. When shifting to 4th dont release the gas hold it down during the shift and when u let go of the clutch the RPMs'll be @ redline...maybe even further. But be prepared for some clutch wear. FLOOR 4th gear. Dont switch till that needle is up there. Then do a normal shift to 5th but most likely u wont need to worry about shifting to 5th. The race'll be over.

posted by  VMJYogi

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/images/smilies/iamwithstupid.gif

another thing you can do... and this is when you get enough practice shifting fast... is to power shift... meaning you are just jamming the gearing into place...but his can only be done if you are at very high rmps... (close or at redline) without using the clutch and without taking your foot off the gas! but on some cars you may need to just tap the clutch but still dont take that foot off that gas until you need to stop! :mrgreen:

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

only try wat he said once ur good enough...... meaning PRACTICE. else ur just really really really gonna f**k up ur transmission and make me laugh.

posted by  Inygknok

I think i did that...not on purpose though. Just tried switching too fast for my foot.

posted by  VMJYogi

not only you... but me as well :mrgreen:
just remember... you need to pay to play.... if you are not willing to spend money to fix stuff... then dont do it... power shifting can really destroy sycros and even the entire tranny if done wrong... thats why I said... practice, practice, practice... dont try doing this tomorrow...

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

lol, that reminds me of a friend of mine, Walter. he has a corrado VR6 (which is his daily driver), and well in order to cut off a bit from his timeslips he started powershifting. his best friend (which studied with us too) started big mouthing about how walter could power shift and blah blah blah blah (we keep saying hes gay and attracted to walter). anyhow... around 2 weeks after that, his clutch all of a sudden was completely worn out..... he replaces it. 3 weeks later, he needs to buy new retainers and synchros. a few weeks after that, he kills his 3rd gear completely, and i mean completely!!

so i asked him wat was he running by now (better than stock tires, some nice 6 spoke rims, engine had recieved a mild tune up cuz it wasnt in its best days when he bought it, new muffler.). so he was only running around 15.3...... i told him it was impossible cuz those things are factory rated at 15.2 and can actually do late 14's if pushed REALLY damn hard. i told him that thing could stand up to my own car (mainly cuz of the weight difference but his car does deserve some credit).

ok so i was disappointed and waited for his next move. he bought some NOS pullies (the full set). he had no idea that he would need to do something about his alternator or his battery would die soon.... so after that, he got that fixed and went to the track.... managed a 15.3 WITH power shifting and brand new tires..... and he says its cuz he cant get any traction at the track but he can get some traction in the streets and can do 14.1's (or so) in the streets..... im so disappointed in him :(

i know its not true cuz i raced him one in the streets, and i didnt even launch the car above 1k rpms (it had only been a month since i had gotten the car so i was still getting used to it). i gained about 2-3 cars distance until i noticed how far back he was when i bothered looking through my rear view mirror, so i slowed down for him and he managed to catch up and i started giving it all again. then we had to stop for a light and that was the end of our fun :D.

posted by  Inygknok

Your Message