2002 Lancer ES modifications?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  2002 Lancer ES modifications?

ok, i just bought a used 2002 Lancer Es.. its white wid gray interior. everything is stock, i got it with 31k mileage.
i was wondering, what modifications i can do with it... now im not planning to be a racer, but i wouldnt mind an extra HP. im more concern on the looks department, i want it to look more sportier, but not to sporty and make it look like a "ricer". i just want to improve the looks a lil and maybe get a few HP.

what i was thinking was (in order)...

-gettin the windows tinted (any suggestions would be fine, ie. %of the tint both front and back.)
-exshaust / intake (im not sure what kinda mufler or intake i should get, and what i can actually install on this car).
-stock spoiler... i was planning to get a spoiler that looks like a evo spoiler... (suggestions would be fine).
-then maybe after a year or 2, i would want bigger wheels and new rims. (i dont know what color rims or what kinda rims i should get, i was thinking just gettin Black rims.. *suggestions*. )(also, i dont want it to be to large where it would ruin my freedom of driving through certain roads, i notice most people who bought bigger wheels and rims have trouble going through bumpy roads or a small whole on the road because it would scratch up their rims or mess up their suspension or whatever? so i want to know what Inch would be fine, where i wouldnt have to worry about that.)
-head lights, tail lights.

also, i want to know what brand names i should get for these items.. i dont want to spend to much money on this, but please feel free to suggest any brand names that is fairly good for an avg price.

posted by  Ki2AY

As for wheels id gey 17x7's either in white or gunmetal...styling is all personal preferance. Probably 205/40 or 215/40 tires would be good. Would definatley need to lower the car with springs. As for intake/exhaust...it's all up to you. I don't know any parts for the base Lancer so you just need to do more research on it.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=FFFFFF&bg=666666&mig ration=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/306000-306 999/306857_6_full.jpg

This is one roughly what I am talking about...17" wheels...dropped a little...no bodykit...5% rear tint and 20% front tint. Keep it clean, they look nice without a body kit.

posted by  thunderbird1100

im not planning to lower the car... but im worried about the 17 inch wheels.. wouldnt it be trouble if i go through minor holes or bumps in the road at a high speed, especially a freeway?

also, i dont know what a "Probably 205/40 or 215/40 tires would be good" is.. :ohcrap:

posted by  Ki2AY

If you put 17" wheels on it you HAVE to lower it or you will have a monster truck Lancer. When you put bigger wheels on a car it makes the ride height taller so you need to lower it back down to stock height or lower than stock height. Springs are cheap (around $200), get some.

I'll break down how they size up tires for you.

The first three digit number is the width of the tire in millimeters.

So when I say 205/40 that means the tire is 205mm wide.

The second two digit number is the sidewall aspect ratio compared to the width of the tire.

So when I say 205/40 that means the sidewall of the tire is 40% of the width of the tire. Or around 85mm.

The last number you need to worry about is self explanatory (which i have not said yet).
205/40 r17 is a full tire name, the 17 is obviously the inner diameter of the tire, so if you get 17" wheels you get a 17" inner diameter tire. They also have many speed ratings on tires...like Z/V/W/Y so on.

ic ic.... i have a question then..... what is the largest inch i can put on my lancer widout lowering it? 15 16?

posted by  Ki2AY

if your gonna put bigger wheels on and not lower your car :screwy: then you need to make sure your overall dimensions are the same as stock.

ie, if you increase the wheel by 1 inch you gotta get a thiner profile tyre by 25mm to compensate. but then you dont want to thin a profile as your worried about damage to the rims.

So basically, if you want bigger wheels? get the car lowered!! :banghead:

posted by  Unlicensed

You can put an 18" wheel on there if you wanted..but would probabably have to use a 20 series tire 225...in other words unrealistic.

Probably a 16x7 wheel and 205/50 tire wouldnt change much over stock I would assume. Would be nice to know your stock tire size.

....a couple things, i would suggest against the 17 inchers. Cause the bigger the rims, the slower you go. Strains the engine more to rotate bigger rims. And if you still want to do it, instead of buying new springs, just cut them yourself. The problem is its irreverisible, so if you screw up, your screwed. And get a new exhaust system, you know how stock exhaust sucks. And do something about the front grill, ugly as hell. But that's personal perference.

posted by  aerith

I would advise against the 17 inchers. The bigger your rims, the slower you go. It actually strains the engine to rotate bigger and heavier rims. So, your acceleration would be slower if you get bigger rims. And also, if you still want to do it, you can cut the springs yourself, but the problem is its irreversible. And get a new exhaust system, the whole package; Downpipe, cat, and the acutal muffler. Cause you know how stock systems suck. And this is personaly perference; do something about the ugly shiny front grill, its an eyesore.

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

posted by  aerith

Can a mod do something about me repeating myself? Stupid computer closed IE the first time i clicked enter. Thanks Bav or Cliffy!

PS: delete the first one please. THX

posted by  aerith

personally, I'd advice against cutting your springs!! Its not a safe option.

And as for going slower, Only your accelaration will be slower. your actual top end speed will be increased. Plus if you go for light weight wheels over looks you will probably end up with lighter than before wheels and your overall dimensions wont be that much bigger than standard so will result in quite unnoticeable difference in speed and improved road handling with a good set of rubber.

posted by  Unlicensed

Yeah, it is kind of dangerous to cut the springs yourself. But if you have friends that has done it before, its fine. And you are right about the lightweight rims, but those are really expensive at least 1-2k USD to get decent ones.

posted by  aerith

stock size is 14

posted by  Ki2AY

No I meant tire full size....like 195/65 r14 or whatever. It should say on your tire.

lol mannn i have no idea.... i was afraid you was going to ask me that.. ill try to search for it.

~where on the tire?

posted by  Ki2AY

On the sidewall of it. All tires are required to have it posted on there now.

ok, i just got my rear windows tinted to 5%, i left the front as it is...

~i forgot to check the tire size

posted by  Ki2AY

Wow, that's dark tint. I forgot but aren't limos 5%?

you know, thats what i thought to... but as i said my friend has limo tint and i have 5%... but his is far more darker than mines, you cant see nothing at all.

i wanted to get a 10 or 15% tint, but they said theres no such thing.

posted by  Ki2AY

No such thing? At my local tint shop they do anything from 3%-25%. 3% is damn dark.

yeh thats what i thought.....

posted by  Ki2AY

hey, if you want to use this for some ideas, this is my friends old lancer OZ... as cool as it looked, the only problem was that it was piss slow

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ozlancer2002

posted by  mazda6man

whew.. thats one hot lancer...

i dont mind the speed, its good enough for me, just enough to over-take someone doing 65 on a freeway... im more into the looks, call me a ricer if you want, but i just want my ride to look sexyyyyyyyyyy.

posted by  Ki2AY

you guys have got it good over there! down here the MAX by law we're allowed is 35% tints unless your driving a s/w, in which case only the fronts have to be 35%. but still? 5% tints? Lucky s,o,b. :drool:

posted by  Unlicensed

Your Message