which is faster in a quarter Mile drag?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  which is faster in a quarter Mile drag?

ok this is just out of curiousity... i have a 2002 4dr Lancer ES with a I4 2.0L engine, and my friend has a 02 Civic coupe Ex with a V4 1.7 engine. when i was buying my car at a dealer, both my uncle and the dealer said that my car is faster than a civic. i asked my friend who owns the civic, and he said i wont be able to catch up with him, in other words, he'll burn me.. both cars are stock with no mods or what so ever.. i would like to know who's side is true if we were to drag race a quarter mile?

~FYI both cars are automatic.

posted by  Ki2AY

You have access to both cars and drivers...why not take a Sunday afternoon trip to the track?

The best proof is living proof!

(hey...I just made that up...now, it's mine.)

posted by  BavarianWheels

yeh we plan to bav, but come on do you have any idea who would win out of personall preferences?

what i am trying to understand is, how will a 1.7 engine beat a 2.0? does it have to do with the V4 and i4? what are the pro's and con's about those two? and also, is there more to see besides looking at the 1.7L or 2.0L engine to determind which is faster?

posted by  Ki2AY

After looking around a bit online, I found a 2002 Honda Civic LX clocked 0-60 in 9.3 seconds. The 2002 Lancer ES did it in about 8.9 seconds. So, the Lancer would win theoretically. It also depends on how you drive the cars.

(There were no listings on quarter mile times...)

posted by  moostang104314

According to a stats web site,

2001 Honda Civic EX

0-60 = 8.4 sec.
1/4 mile = 16.7 sec.
1/4 speed = 84 mph

Note* They only had stats for the 2001

2002 Mitsu Lancer ES

0-60 = 8.9 sec.
1/4 mile = 16.7 sec.
1/4 speed = 82 mph
Assuming there was improvement on the 2002 model...I'd have to go with the Civic.

Sorry. :ohcrap:

thx for the information.. but i think an ex is more powerfull then a lx, also did u check if that lx is a 2 door coupe? cause my friend has a 02 civic ex 2 door coupe.. i think that makes a difference...

posted by  Ki2AY

ahh i c.. thx, ok this only leads to my 2nd question... how is that possible when a civic ex has 1.7L engine and a lancer es has a 2.0? does it have to do with the civic having a V4 while the lancer has a I4? can you explain this?

if assuming it does have to do wid the V4 and I4 engine, can u tell me what are the pro's and con's with both engine?

posted by  Ki2AY

It's true...the Civic LX posts slower times...but the car in question is a Civic EX...

V4? Aren't they all I4's? That's what the Honda website says...

Weight vs. power...driver techniques...reaction time...lots of variables.

Heres my question... which is heavier, the civic ex or lancer es? answer that and you will find a part of an answer.

posted by  Coffin Type R

really? i guess my friend was a liar then.. ok so say we both have I4 engines except my lancer is a 2.0 and his is a 1.7, i dont see why the civic would burn my lancer as he claims wid no modification uner the hood. everything is stock, both automatic.. and lets not include the driver techniques, driver reaction time... what else is there to look at besides the engine that can explain this?

(man i seriously gotta test him out on a midnight race.)

posted by  Ki2AY

He says the Lancer is a 4dr...the Civic...not sure.

2002 civic ex 2 dr while the 2002 lancer es is 4dr.

but then again, it looks like the civic is a bit bigger. i will search for the weigh of both cars and post it.

heres a link to cardirect where i compare both cars.. sadly it has nothing about weight.

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/compareresults?cat=1&acodes=USB20MIC101A 0,USB20HOC022D0

posted by  Ki2AY

The Civic is pulling more HP from less displacement. :laughing:

...and it does mention weights on your link:

Lancer = 2,646lbs curb weight

Civic = 2,553lbs curb weight

2002 Lancer ES 4dr

Dimensions and Capacities

Door Count 4 doors
Maximum Cargo Volume 11.3cu.ft.
Exterior Length 177.6"
Exterior Width 66.8"
Exterior Height 54.1"
Wheelbase 102"
Front Tread 58"
Rear Tread 58"
Turning Radius 16.4'
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 3,638lbs.
Curb Weight 2,646lbs.
Max Trailer Weight 1,000lbs.
Drag Coefficient .30
Front Legroom 43.2"
Rear Legroom 36.6"
Front Headroom 38.8"
Rear Headroom 36.7"
Front Hiproom 51.2"
Rear Hiproom 50.2"
Front Shoulder Room 54.1"
Rear Shoulder Room 53.3"
Passenger Volume 94cu.ft.
Interior Cargo Volume 11.3cu.ft

2002 Civic EX 2dr coupe

Dimensions and Capacities

Door Count 2 doors
Maximum Cargo Volume 12.9cu.ft.
Exterior Length 174.7"
Exterior Width 66.7"
Exterior Height 55.1"
Wheelbase 103"
Front Tread 58"
Rear Tread 58"
Turning Radius 17.1'
Curb Weight 2,553lbs.
Front Legroom 42.5"
Rear Legroom 32.8"
Front Headroom 36.9"
Rear Headroom 35.0"
Front Hiproom 50.2"
Rear Hiproom 46.7"
Front Shoulder Room 52.8"
Rear Shoulder Room 52.6"
Passenger Volume 83cu.ft.
Interior Cargo Volume 12.9cu.ft

posted by  Ki2AY

ok the civic has 7 more HP than the lancer, but what i dont get is.. what is the 2.0L and 1.7L engine? what is the purpose of that? i know HP is horsepower, whats the "L"?

posted by  Ki2AY

I'm going to have to go with my original thought...that being;

I think you'll come in second. :ohcrap:

Litre's of displacement...don't ask me to explain.

Let's just say it's a smaller engine.

ok, i figured..but again, that only leads to my 2nd question.. where does the 2.0L engine and the 1.7L engine go here? what are their purpose? since i have 0.3 more L (wtf is the "L"?) what does that give me?

posted by  Ki2AY

ok i guess, im going to have to post a new thread.. hopefully someone can explain. thx bav!

posted by  Ki2AY

Well...not by much anyway if that is a consolation to you.

The Civic will win. The D17 EX Civic has 127hp and weighs 2657lbs with the automatic. Your car has 120hp and weighs 2700lbs exactly. So not only does he have a little more top end than you, he also has a little bit less weight (but they are nearly the same and driver difference in weight would probably make up for it or hurt it either way). It will be a close race, really a drivers race, but in all technicality it should go to the Civic given equal drivers. Shifting is taken out due to it being automatic so all you would have to worry about is the launch. Also he has a little bit more grip with bigger tires.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The LX has less power. Only 115hp compared to the EX's 127hp.

The Civic is an I-4 engine like the Lancer. There are no current V-4 cars on the market.

ic thunder.. can u explain where does the 2.0L and 1.7L engine come in play? and since the lancer has a 2.0 and the civic has a 1.7L engine what advantages does that give to the lancer?

posted by  Ki2AY

Here's a quick explanation.

L = Liters, or liters of displacement

# of cylinders really has nothing to do with the pure 'size' of the engine. The displacement of an engine is figured out by the bore x stroke of the engine. You can have a 4L V-10 or a 4L V-6. Displacement is also measured in Cubic Inches.

The conversion to go from L -> Ci is you take the L and times it by 61.02. Then you will be pretty accurate around it's displacement in Ci.

So in your case. If your Lancer's engine was EXACTLY 2.0L (which it isn't, it's probably like 1.997L or 1997cc {cubic centimeters}) your conversion would be

2.0L x 61.02 ~ 122 Ci

Cubic inches (like all standard units) are being phased out in favor of metrics nowadays.

i replied to ur other thread with a simple explanation. if u still dont get it, ill try to diversify, else, we will just bug John to write another of his kick ass explanations :D :laughing:

posted by  Inygknok

With displacement comes more torque. That's why you see trucks having big V-8's..like 5L+ in displacement. Over say economy-cars who have small four cylinder engines for less fuel consumption.

There are a lot of variables when getting power out of an engine. Why an engine like the f22c 2.2L 16v DOHC VTEC I4 engine in the S2000 makes the exact same RWHP as a 4.6 SOHC 16v V8 in a Mustang GT. It has less than half of the displacement of the 4.6 V8. But makes as much horsepower. Torque however (as i previously stated) comes from displacement. Therefore the bigger 4.6 makes a lot more torque compared to the 2.2 in the S2000. Power is affected in many ways...Compression ratio, air into and out the enigne, fuel, timing etc...

torque is acceleration right?

posted by  Ki2AY

Therotically Horsepower is just a 'calculated number'. Torque is what they measure when they dyno the car and then calculate horsepower at RPMS by taking the torque and multiplying it by the rpms and then dividing it by 5252.

Torque really does everything. But, horsepower is what keeps you going faster. Torque is what you heavily feel in the beginning when you slam down the pedal (if your car has enough torque to feel). It's complicated. Horsepower is what sports cars are usually measured by when comparing. Torque is what trucks are usually measured by when comparing.

Ideally, you having the bigger displacement gives you more potential on modifications. But, given that the rest of the parts are equal in performance. But in reality, the civic has more potential because the list of aftermarket parts for the civic is WAYYYYY longer then the available list of Lancer parts. And the civic has the ability to swap bigger and more powerful engines in like B16's. But the lancer cannot just swap a Galant's 4G69 in or an Evo's 4G63 in, due to the lack of compatibility. But, i would go with the Civic on this particular situation, due to the lighter weight and more power. And they are automatics, so shifting technique is not a factor in this race, so basically it depends on who has the newer tires with the better tread and who can slam on the accelerator first.

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

posted by  aerith

here is an idea of the race. one of my friends has a 98 civic ex 2 door coupe (stick) with performance mods and a friend with a 2002 lancer es 4 door (automatic) with no performance mods. the lancer smoked the civic. but that was a 98 not 2002 ex so perform your on test. my money is on u. i assume that he has a stick ,your friend, and you have stick correct.

posted by  Dewey

i have a 96 eclipse 2.0 non-turbo and i beat the civic. the day that i got my eclipse.

posted by  Dewey

damn ur friend is probably very poor in racing... especially wid performance mods and shit... but anyways.. both me and my friends car are automatic like i have said multiple times... both stock also.

whats ur hp? and what year was the civic? and type?

posted by  Ki2AY

THat is the problem with alot of racers. They find the most expensive mod for their car or get the same mod that winning racers get, and put it on their car.

If you want to mod your car out, do alittle research into your car, because you want to balance the weight, torque, HP, and the energy of the car, to get the best power for your car.

posted by  Coffin Type R

im not planning to go to far.. im only going as far as intake / exhaust. then everything else would be for looks and also handling.

posted by  Ki2AY

Still alittle research into your car would be good. Find out what would be good from sites like these before doing anything.

posted by  Coffin Type R

arite i will.. thx coffin.

posted by  Ki2AY

I hate to say it but both are slow. I drive both my dads 1990 Laser RS Turbo (which will be able to apply for "classic" in 5 more years) and my Jeep Grand Cherokee and I can beat the pant off of either car.

posted by  Voda48

oh ok, i knew that. im sorry, i shoulda wrote a different topic title... i was just trying to understand engines a bit more not about speed and etc. thx all :thumbs:

posted by  Ki2AY

This post has nothing to do with the thread question.

The question is about a '02 Lancer ES 2.0L and a '02 Civic EX 1.7L.

Whether or not they are slow by whatever standards you are holding, (it could be a race between a Cockroach and a Lady Bug) your Laser might win, but it has no bearing on the question.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

well i didnt take the time to read all the posts so this might have already been said but i did read the first page and there was talk about V4 vs. I4...well isnt everyone's fav car the skyline an I6? If so i doubt it matters. I think the I or V thing only affects space. Mayb also vibration levels.

posted by  VMJYogi

also this is a question for the experienced people here. could either bav or coffin explain to me how to create the best torque and energy for a car like coffin said. anybody can figure out the horsepower part but i need to learn more about the other factors.

posted by  VMJYogi

www.howstuffworks.com go to auto stuff. that will answer all of your questions. It'll take you like 30 mins. Basically if you have a 1.7 liter engine that means 1.7 liters is the maximum air/fuel mix that each chamber can take. *a bottle of soda is 2.0 liters* :thumbs:

posted by  jzxTT

:clap:

the guy with the do-able g/f is right (even though he quoted that last line from the site :P)

posted by  Inygknok

Yeah seriously. He should take a nice long trip to howstuffworks.com. That will answer alot of general questions you have, seeing as that you don't know what the "L" in 2.0L means. Nothing to be ashamed about, we all gotta start somwhere.

As to the Civic and Lancer, they both run about similar quartermile times. I'd say the cars are about just as fast as each other. Reaction time and a few other things would probably determine the winner of the quarter mile race.

Also the 2002 Civic EX has similar times to the 2001's 1/4th. I read somwhere about .01-.03 seconds faster. Since Bav could'nt find the quartermile times for the 2002 models. :thumbs:

posted by  DSMer

Maybe it's cuz the Civic has VTEC...Variable Timing w/Electronic Control... This helps the engine keep pulling as the rpms go higher, so as the lancer's 2.0L power curve flattens out and, drops, the civic'll keep pulling to redline
:mrgreen:

posted by  allroundcarguy2

It'll depend on the year and the model of civic if it'll have vTEC, but yeah, the civic and lancer both have I-4's( the civic doesn't have a V-4). the civic is also a 1.7 not a B16 which your friend problebly thinks he has. Its american civic style, which is not good, I've driven both and I think that the lancer would win but who knows what kind of condition the cars are in.

posted by  s13_Drifter

I would still go with the Civic. I've driven the exact cars, the Civic is lighter and slightly better acceleration. But, that may could have been alot of different things; weather, tires, and gas used. Oh yeah, one important factor, which one of you have newer tires?

posted by  aerith

:mrgreen: do-able would be correct sir :mrgreen:

posted by  jzxTT

the new lancer ralliarts have MIVEC though, so it would be an advantage to the lancer as well if only he had the ralliart model.

posted by  Inygknok

Both the HX and EX have SOHC Vtec D17's. The EX having a little more power. I believe the EX Civic has had vtec since 1992.

vtec is nice but unfortunetly is not very productive in a civic (especially in an auto) since it does not rev high enough for the system to "kick in." I would also say the only way you would know who would win the race is by going to track and racing. there are too many factors to consider and both of these cars appear to be very close performance wise.

posted by  Solar

MILAGE ON BOTH CARS ARE SIMILAR, AROUND THE 30K'S

posted by  Ki2AY

I Have The Same Thing But 2003 And Raced A 01 CIVIC From A 35 Punch And Left Him. And Didnt Give Up Till About 70mph....

posted by  eurotica03

wtf i was wondering why this thread was brought back up.. hey thx for the post but maybe next time you would wanna check out the date. btw was the 01 civic an ex? cause if it wasnt, that would make a big difference.

posted by  Ki2AY

dont underestimate the lancer, i own one and raced that same civic and really theres only so much the civic pushes. it has potential and doesn't really use it. either way they arent that different from each other, one has a better looking style in my opinion. thats why i took the lancer. its a sedan, use it as so

zombey12   06 Feb 2012 22:38

Your Message