B16B(civic tyope-r)

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  B16B(civic tyope-r)

I am looking to put a civic type-r engine in a 93 civic ex coupe I dont see to many mods besides the jdm parts, sense the engine comes out of a 98-01 car would i purchase headers for 98-01 honda civic? Pretty much wondering how do i interchange the parts through out the car and where and when do i use parts for my car and parts for that engine?

posted by  importfan0103

First off, why may I ask are you going to spend so much money on engine with so little power? I know the b16b CTR engine is INCREDIBLY expensive. Talking upwards of over $4500-$5500. The thing only puts out what 185hp? I would go for a turbo B18b. For the same $4500 for a b16b you can get a b18b turbo it and mod it to have a little over 275-300fwhp (around 350 crank hp). But if you are doing it just to have a fake/real CTR then yes, you buy stuff for the b16b not the current enigne in your car. Some might take some co-axing to fit however.

BTW - It's header* (single 4-2-1 or 4-1) not headers (like for a V engine : {2} 3-1 or {2} 4-2-1's for example). They don't sell aftermarket 'headers' for an I-4 engine in a car. I have seen them for bikes however.

posted by  thunderbird1100

If you wanna stick a B16 in ya ride thats cool but
if i was you id think K20 :) thats the good stuff! :mrgreen:

posted by  Lukaz

Only thing bad about the K20a is it costs $1500 more than even a B16b!

Very good point there matey :thumbs: . How much money do you have to spend on this motor and how much power do you want :smoke:

posted by  Lukaz

If what you're going for is the "hey look at me I have a civic type R"..... I hope you enjoy eating ramen noodles because thats all your gonna be able to afford.

posted by  jzxTT

Are you sure the K20a would cost more? Since they are used in RSX's or Honda Integra's. Or are we jipped of that as well? Does the US spec RSX run a different engine? I'm guessing so huh? Anyways, then what does the US spec Honda Civic SiR hatchback run?

posted by  aerith

Yes the k20a would cost more. The US does not get the ITR's K20a (220hp) engine from japan. The full engine with tranny starts at around $6000. you can get a full b16b for $4500. We get the k20a2 (200hp RSX-S) and k20a3 (160hp RSX base and Civic Si) We never got a CTR in the states. So there is no US Spec Civic SiR.

I dunno about yall but I would stick an H22a in that biznatch, put a turbo on it and watch the time drop as you tune it.

posted by  s13_Drifter

Although I would say yes to an Accord I would have to say no for a Civic for that swap. Makes the car too front end heavy and every-day driving suffers. Turbo B18b will be fine.

well... I can get a b16b for around $3,800 not including shipping and i got a guy that can put it in for free also I am going to bore out the pistons and make them larger, trying to get as much horsepower out of the engine w/out a turbo... thats the theme guys sorry, i know you can get alot out of the type-r engines with out a turbo for instance, the guy putting the engine in son has 450 w/out a turbo on a 2g integra with a type-r engine...maybe i will drop a turbo in later but for now i think my way can get around 300 hp around under 3,000 and with buying a turbo i know i would pay more and get less hp....thanks for the imput... dont like the k20's,rsx is the worst,took only the best car out of the honda market!!

posted by  importfan0103

knowing the h22a is a larger engine, and harder to put in a 5g civic to start off doesn't make me to excited.. also 2.2l with 200hp vs 1.6l with 185 hp.. think i'll go with the type-r smaller engine creating just about the same amount of hp's also bolts right in! just think about it redlining at 9,000 rpms with a compression of about 10:8:1 thats ridiculous... bore it out and add racing pistons change the cams get larger fuel rail bigger injectors, and a throttle body, then put an rpm adjuster on it intead of the vtec controller let it drop in around 700 more rpms and your flying but thats just what i think what about you guys do you think thats the way to go!

posted by  importfan0103

Mmmmmm.... yummy yea i'd live on ramen noodles :2cents: for a type R :orglaugh:

Maybe even as low as pot snacks... hmmm pot noodle :mrgreen: bon appetite

posted by  Lukaz

B18, Resleeve it, forged rods/pistols, titanium valvesprings/retainers, Vtec head, Equal length turbo manifold, all the neccesary parts for the turbo including the turbo. Boom.

posted by  Arthur

Ah, someone with sense.

He'll be real pissed when a turbo b18b blows past him and they spent $4000 compete on engine and mods and have 300fwhp. On his hand he will have a $4000 b16b with 150fwhp. Same amount of money, but the turbo b18b1 = OWNZ the n/a b16b. One thing everyone must learn is the most powerful honda enignes are turboed. I love it when I go to the track and see a few turbo b18b civics and integras fly down the track with low 12 passes and they have invested about $4000-$6000 in their car. Then the N/A B16s and B18c1/5's come up and run mid 13's with $8000 invested.

If I had all the moeny i could find to build a Honda four I'd do this.

K24 block resleeved, housing forged rods/pistons
K20a head with titanium valve springs/retainers, more duration cams etc..

Take it to Cybernation Motorsports and let them have it with a Turbo Setup.

500whp car :)

Bah my volvo will rule all :D, im dropping a ford 302 HO, going to build the suspension/brakes eventually run a supercharger or turbo havent decided and ill be running a set of mini lites on it, 15x6 up front and 15x8 in the rear :D

posted by  Arthur

Your Message