help someone new to the mod world

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  help someone new to the mod world

sorry to bother you guys there has probley already been a thousand similer questions, i crused the archives for a long time but couldent find exactly what i was looking for

i have a 1995 honda prelude 2.2 V-tec. i have: nue-speen headers, greddy evo exhaust, a K&N high flow air filter, B&M short shift, and have it droped about 1.25 inches. im 17 and on a very limited budget so i need the most bang for my buck, im looking for more power without a huge price tag that would accompany a super or turbo charger, looking to spend between 300-675 dollers. this is what ive been looking at:
Nology distributer cap, profire coil, profire ignition, and silverstone spark plugs
Unorthodox raceing pully sets.

Now as i said im fairly ignorent so if these ideas are dumb or ther are betterones out the pleas tell me, if this stuff sounds good tell me with to do first and the power benifits from each

thanks alot. dive safe and have fun.

posted by  sam...

if u lived down here i would get u a turbo kit done for around $700..... installation included.

anyhow, im quite sure that engine is distributor-less... so dunno how that cap got in there... as for the rest of the ignition, those really wont add u that much more power.... specially the spark plugs. u could get iridium spark plugs but those will only add like... 2-3hp? they are just better for ignition....

as for the pulleys, if u change all of them, u will need to do something about the alternator cuz it will not operate correctly. since its gonna spin a bit slower, it wont be able to charge the engine correctly, and the battery will wear out really fast (in a few days kind of fast). also, stock pulleys have vibration dampners which help the engine's lifetime, u will be sacrificing that too, but u will be getting a much better acceleration and response from the car and some power increase.

i suggest some camshafts too, some not too aggressive.....

new valves and valve springs with retainers......

maybe a performance chip.... an ECU tune (i say its not worth it until much later when u have much more mods, unless u get an ECU mod to hold more than just 1 map).

i would say upgrade the fuel system, but u would need to find a used fuel rail and fuel injectors just to cut back on costs a bit, and it also would be pointless with some sort of ability to regulate everything (timing, etc).

thats just some ideas out of my tired mind. gl with it.

posted by  Inygknok

pretty much anything to do with the computer will help. you could computer tune it. Plug it in, press some buttons and get some power. you know like they do for trucks, they have them for cars too, but im not sure for your H22a

posted by  s13_Drifter

One Word : Nitrous.

You can get a kit for around $600-$700. Make sure it's a wet system. You could run a 75 shot effortlessly into that h22a. Great power for the money and you only use it when you need it.

If you are only looking into those mods. I would suggest the Unorthodox racing SS pulley set. Will gain a lot of power from the. Added about 17whp in a turbo h22a. Should add around 10whp in your setup.

posted by  thunderbird1100

im sorry but im just going to completely go against the whole nitrous idea.... just imagine how the poor guy will be when he breaks his engine and doesnt have the money to fix it....

i am very sure many around here will agree with me that nitrous is just the cheap way out in a very lame sort of way. i would tell the guy to get the ECU tuned 20 times before i even think about nitrous......

posted by  Inygknok

:stupid: unless you have max out everything else and you just want it for shitz and giggles... :mrgreen:

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

have you not thought of getting a v-tech controller? Don't know what your market is like over there? but that would be one of the first things to plug in I would have thought. Cheap too! just a thought, but I don't really know too much about v-tech engines! we had a 2.2lt doch v-tech prelude in here a while ago. that was quite quick for what they are. Had the extractors, pipe, forged pistons, cams, tech controller, type-r head too i think just judging by looks.

So with what you got I would personally say cams like has already been posted and if you got em over there? v-tech controller.

posted by  Unlicensed

It would depend on your engine whether it could take the nitrous or not, but in my opinion, it is an easy way out, I do work on my friend's cars a lot, well at least they get a new part, but for the most part, what im trying to get at here is that in my eyes its considered "cheating" sort of. Do you kinda get what im trying to get at here?

posted by  s13_Drifter

Well it also depends what u want to end up with when u complete your work on the performance of the car. You want a racing car that could take on a Lambo., or a car that could beat your dad's Mustang? Maybe u just want to beat the next door ricer. Well if u want to compete with the lambo. you'll need internal work. That will save your engine in the long run. The mustang, thats a turbo but since those are too expensive, id go with the fuel thing as well and an improved driveline perhaps, then alot of prayer that those mods brought u anywhere close to beating that Mustang. The ricer next door. Just wait till he hits 50mph. Then the drag of his wing'll prevent him from speeding up any more. Hehe. :orglaugh:

posted by  VMJYogi

:mrgreen: thats a good one... lol just wait till he hits 50mph... lol

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

The engine can handle it no problem. Getting a Hondata ECU would be ideal though. I had a NX wet shot (10lb bottle) that I bought for my last turbo h22a Accord. Never hooked it up and just sold it along with the car, heard it's working great now though. He runs a 75 shot now with new jets.

Vtec**** controllers are pretty useless. It's more of a show item than helping. If anything it would be more ideal for a turbo setup (in which he doesnt have). It barely increases power at the set rpm engagement point. It doesn't increase peak power at all. All in all he might cut off .05 seconds off his e/t given he ran two back-back consistent runs.

really? i thought the plus with em was to start the valve timing earlyer than normal, hence giving it some earlyer power? Like I said though, i don't really know much about honda engines, or hondas in general. Just that you guys get different hondas to the rest of us.

But if he can get the pistons changed, lower the compresion and get the turbo kit fitted, i would have thought thats the easyest form of power gians?

posted by  Unlicensed

im with stupid

posted by  importluva

I never really looked to find out but now im confused. I thought that vtec engines had the ability to change the timing for the valvetrain via computers. But if they have camshafts then how does the camshaft change its timing?... wait!! i remember!! i think. dont the camshafts have alot of lobes and the vtec thing changes the angle of the camshaft so a certain set of lobes hits the springs. changing from economy to race....?

posted by  VMJYogi

yea, a special piston kicks in to control the different profiles of the camshafts. thats how vtec works. that piston is controlled via a computer, which is controlled by the ECU.

posted by  Inygknok

There is a center lobe on the camshaft in each set of lobes for each piston that gives the valves more lift and therefore more power. Just the basics of vtec, there are TONS of variations of it though.

Cool im not as stupid as i thought.

posted by  VMJYogi

now now, we dont wanna go pushing our luck now, do we? :laughing:

posted by  Inygknok

thanks everybody that sent info and ideas, still thinking but have a better idea.

oh and to the guy refering to the dads mustang and ricer down the block, my car already outpreforms most non-cobra mustangs, and my dad is the ricer on the street he drives an STI, just thought that was kinda funny.

posted by  sam...

Your Message