Air Intakes

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Air Intakes

Which is better to get? Cold air intake, Dragon Intake... etc etc
what im trying to ask is a cold air intake better than a regular AIR intake (that was dragon is, Dragon Intakes comes with a built in air flow straightener; to increase gas mileage, sound and of course, horsepower)

Im not trying to advertise, just for knowledge purposes, if it is advertising, take it off, but just curious to which air intake is best (V-Tech 4 Cyc)

Edit: Also how do I tell what kind of engine it is, I see some peope say V-Tech 2.2, etc... (Don't flame pls im learning :oops: )

posted by  sk8er2k8

EditEdit: I currently have skunk2 shocks, and they lower my car quite a bit. I am looking into a body kit, but with the current ammount of space that is taken up by lowering it, I don't know if a body kit would be a good idea > Therefore, Will I have to buy a new shock kit or just different springs? and can anyone recommend me good racing shocks that WON'T lower my accord too bad to the point I can't put a body kit on. Thx a bunch :thumbs:

http://www.uploadimages.net/images/475497car.JPG

posted by  sk8er2k8

I would have to say that you should get a Cold air intake, colder air, is better for power, unless you get a turbo, which I recomend, more power :hi: , but yeah, if you don't got the $ then thats cool, an all motor is a good challenge. from you car it has the B18c2 so yeah, its a 1.8 liter, nice engine, i'd kill for it.

If you can afford it then get some Ohlins shocks, :smoke: , oh yeah. those are nice. My advice is make your car a sleeper, lower it without a bodykit, it looks awesome.

posted by  s13_Drifter

i gotta disagree with him ^. You should put a body kit on it cause i dont like it like that. But get a low profie kit though. One that doesnt scream "i race". Just sumthin like Ki2AY's blue neon sig. And cold air is better but i like V2. it uses sound waves to get the airflow to be smoothest (or whateva). I think the V2 is also a CAI though. AEM makes it for u to check.
I like coil-overs. They r expensive but id rather save for those then another shock/strut combo.

posted by  VMJYogi

sound waves to make air flow better, i would like to know how that works.

posted by  s13_Drifter

Thx for the input, so far so helpful. So Cold air, check. EVENTUALLY i will get a turbo charge >> if I do, does the intake get removed? because you made it sound that way... and About the ohlin shocks. Get the whole package and get it replaced?

And what is Ki2AY sig??? I looked him up and I didn't see anything in his sig

posted by  sk8er2k8

yeah, you would have to remove your intake from the throttle body, but you can stick it on the opening where the spool is. I don't think I was serious about the Ohlins shocks, those things are sooooo rare. they make suspension for F1 cars. but yeah, all you really would need to do is get coilovers, but if you don't you can always do the shocks and strut bar thing, its all how you drive your car, but yeahfor the suspension work, I would suggest you go to professional to do that, you need a spring mount to replace your coilovers on your shocks, so yeah, you can do the intake by yourself in like less than 45 min.

posted by  s13_Drifter

Get the Injen Race Division CAI for your car. Best intake out there for it. I don't believe in the V2 crap. At times it adds a whopping 1-2hp at the crank over a regular AEM CAI (and the AEM CAI isnt as good as the Injen from what i've seen). Plus the V2 is just SO much more $ (about $100 more than the regualr CAI).

posted by  thunderbird1100

ummm, s13, spool is a term for the spooling up of the turbo, not a part of the turbo. the air intake will get moved from the throttle body up to the compressor side of the turbo, meaning the front part of the turbo (not the spool, thats just.... a very wrong way of calling things :P). the intercooler is wat will direct the air to the throttle body then.

as for shocks, u can just find some height adjustable ones with some lowering springs.

posted by  Inygknok

So I can have both a cold air intake and turbo?

posted by  sk8er2k8

yes, IMO CAI isnt as good as everyone says it is, sure cooler denser ait = more power, But for the price I'd go with SRI (short ram). some people are paraniod about Overheating. I put an SRI in my integra and it does the job just fine. Plus its sounds a sh*t load better. and cai can take a loong time to install. and you have to adjust in the winter (rainy season). SRI is less trouble. For the suspension, Get coilovers, search "1994 accord coilovers". Their basically adjustable shoX. I'd say skunk2 coilovers. :2cents:

posted by  jzxTT

well, i drive an mkiii supra as a daily driver, im modding it to put out around 420 on the wheels. this is one of those cars that likes to overheat in traffic jams (but ofc, im improving the cooling system), and i live in the tropics, and im still happy with my SRI. CAI's are a bit more handy in N/A cars, since every single thing u do counts. in turbo cars, as long as u have a big fat intercooler, everything is just fine. ofc, in any case, having an aftermarket radiator and dual electric fans or one single fan that blow alot of air (around 2500cfm or more) is just as handy.

posted by  Inygknok

I already hve skunk2 coilovers....The problem is, 1) Skunk2 makes me car too bouncy, 2) I dont know if i'll have enough room to put on the skirts of the body kit or the front, etc.. How long are the body kits usually? Vertical wise

posted by  sk8er2k8

yeh id have to say the same thing.. if you make it a "sleeper" my personal opinoin, it would look a bit cheap. put a simple body kit, dont get those super ricer body kits now.. just keep it nice and simple..

(btw, i dont have the srt-4 pic anymore, obviously =)

posted by  Ki2AY

Does this look like a ricer?
http://www.eracings.com/catalog/images/bodykit-honda-accord-9497-blitz-fb.j pg

posted by  sk8er2k8

yes :P

posted by  Inygknok

...like "White on Rice!" :banghead:

posted by  BavarianWheels

SRI is cheaper, but an equal CAI from the same company gets 50-100% more power (short rams for the k20 get around 7-9whp while the CAI's get 14-17whp). Yes, a SRI takes about 30 minutes or less to install, but that's really the only advantage it has over a CAI. Most of the time you only need to remove the wheel and wheel well to put in a CAI, sometimes the front bumper, still pretty easy for even a beginner just takes a few hours.

Easy fix, Get some adjustible Koni or Tokico shocks.

that's gotta be one of the biggest ricer 5th gen Accords i've seen, horrible bodykit, wing, headlights, fenders...doesnt get much worse.

If you ask me, that looks a bit to much, you can just do it simple…. Since you don’t have all these expensive mods on your car, you wouldn’t want to get a body kit that says "Im FAST CHECK ME OUT" you know what I mean? If you get that kit with what you have under the hood, its like you have this kit wid nothing to back it up with… get it?

Heres an example, its kinda' like walking into a basketball gym with jordan shoes and a jordan fit to match that tells everybody "im a skilled basketball player", and you don’t even have the basketball skillz to back it up.
then again, if you dont care what people think, then GO FOR IT!

But u know what, it really depends on you . If you really think your car would look better with the kit, go for it! But as I said, I would look for something more simple if I had your car. :wink2:

posted by  Ki2AY

Don't listen about getting a body-kit. It doesnt need one. The Accords look good once you lower them and give them a nice new paint job. I think you could do a bit better on the wheels. No offense but the ones you have on there now are kind of cheesy.

Clean no-bodykit 4th gen:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=6666FF&mig ration=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/262000-26 2999/262836_1_full.jpg

Clean no-bodykit 5th gen:

http://cardomain.org/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=FFFFFF&bg=666666&migrati on=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/471000-471999/ 471889_4_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=FFFFFF&bg=666666&mig ration=1&image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/500000-500 999/500708_2_full.jpg

Oh...it does! You didn't notice the body color wiper blades?

That's some serious "old school" rice!!

Actually I think those arent white wiper blades. The more I look at them, they look to be those cheap $10 'double blades per wiper' chrome ones you can get at pep boys or advance auto parts.

Regardless if the wipers are chrome or white, it remains a ricer.

The car doesn't look that bad people. Its a try at least at not looking too ricey. If his front bumper wasnt so out there. and if his side skirts didnt look like they belonged on startrek...

posted by  VMJYogi

That's the BIGGEST attempt at pure rice i've seen in a while. He even went as far to buy the cheap $30 'M3' side mirrors and Chrome Wiper blades. On top of the extremely ricey body-kit and obnoxious 'supra' wing. Don't forget the 'Z3' fenders and the hideous headlights, god knows he has the Altezzas out back. Is this guy building an Accord or just building it with compeltley new parts from OTHER cars?

you forgot the super spoiler he has....

im confuse, that really isnt his car right?

posted by  Ki2AY

I don't think so. See, personally, I think it looks decent, but it's rather ricey. The side fenders and the wing are what do it for me. The side fenders are vomitous. The wing is, well, forgetable at best. Don't do that, kid. I've seen many a lowered Accord without the bodykits that looked great. Of course, I'm sure you could find something quite unricey if you really want a bodykit.
Thunderbird1100, I must say. That fourth-generation Accord is beautiful. I have a 1993 Honda Accord (four-door, unfortunately), but I wouldn't want to sell it if I could make it look that good. I noticed in your signature you have a 1990? How much would you figure it'd cost me to get my car looking that good?

posted by  Patrick

personally the accord(talking about the so called ricer) would, sense it is a 4 door, look better with out the huge ass spoiler and again sense it is a 4 door do with out the z3 fenders....also side mirrors with lights remind me of soccer moms in expeditions.... besides that your car would look great witht that kind of body kit and no sense no one has answered this question it is not to low to put a body kit on you would have around 3 inches maybe 5 i know my cars side skirts and bumper hang 1" to 2" lower than factory! you know your best plan is get a k&n short ram with the cold air intake extender so if you suddenly change your mind and like they said about the rain season can convert!!! ps its called the typhoon air intake and it is the complete cold air intake system!!

posted by  importfan0103

The car is not so much rice in the sense of looks, but more in the sense of performance. The reason the bumper is cut out like it is, is to allow more air to flow to a FMIC. Wich he does'nt appear to have. So in the fact that instead of putting a staight flat down bumper, he has this bumper that looks like its designed for grabbing small rodents, makes it look "ricey". Not to mention the chrome windshield wipers.

Anywhos I think this guy should just get a moderatley priced CAI. It does'nt really matter. No CAI he could buy is going to give him that much of a power boost in the first place(if you wanna get nitpickey go ahead and get the one that gives you 10-15HP but cost like $300), and considering he wants to f/i the car he should probably find a decently priced AEM Intake or something along those lines.

Suspension... If I ever get an Accord I'm going Tein all the way. I can tell you that much. Nothing like blowing a 5k on a nice suspension.(Wait did I spell Tein right?)

Haha I'm sure you could school us in the art of "old school" ricing huh Bav?

Oldschool rice on a new car, thats almost as ironic as a Mustang with a Ram AIR hood.

posted by  DSMer

This is my second 90 Accord, first was highly done over. My paint job was similar to the one i linked you to except I had the 2002 Blue metallix NSX paint job on mine. My wheels were 18x8 Axis Speed Sixes, and the car was lowered with TEIN Basic Damper coilovers.

HJow much would it costs to make it look pretty good. Well...

Nice Metallic Paint job -> $600-$800
Lowering Springs -> $200
Nice 18" Wheels/tires -> $1000-$1500

About $1800-$2500 basically. Some other little do-dads i would look for is getting clear side markers and clear bumper lights, makes it even a little mroe clean (no big yellow/orange splats here and there). I love the stock 90-91 Tail lights, so i wouldn't change them for anything. The 92-93 are the same but rounded off in a corner, still look good. Keep the headlights stock (maybe just some new bulbs and clean them, but remember about the clear corner assembly). Another thing is, remove the mud-flaps if you have them, looks too weird with them attached if its lowered. If you want anymore advice ask.

New Mach One Ram Air owners beware!

The rear wing....um?
The mirrors....er?
The wipers...opps?

But to be honest, i reakon if ya fill the arches with big wheels that car wouldn't look so bad :oops: But don't forget, I am living real close to the rice capital here! so my judgement is wharped somewhat! And I see that front spoiler alot in different forms. It is used more for aerodynamics than looks on a few of the jap hill climbers.

posted by  Unlicensed

Just to clear things up a bit: I think you may be getting a bit confused between springs and shocks.

Shock absorbers (or dampers) don't affect the car's ride height: they're only there to damp the bounce of the springs. Springs alone affect the car's ride height.

Generally speaking, it's important that the springs match the dampers in terms of stiffness, otherwise ride and handling suffer. So it's a good idea to buy them as a set, unless you know what you're up to.

As for for fitting a turbo: it's not always that easy! Generally speaking, turbo cars have low compression. To convert to a turbo normally requires a total engine rebuild, to a different spec (lower compression, and often different valves and pistons to cope with the increased heat). Just slapping a turbo on a stock engine with relatively high power output and compression is going to cause more problems than it solves.

But no, I wouldn't fit a body kit. They're heavy, they mess up the operation of the airbags, and they rarely do anything for aerodynamics (it's not like most of them are developed in a wind tunnel). In engineering terms, body its are normally a bit rubbish, so unless you're purely after looks, then I'd give them a wide berth.

posted by  heebee

Your Message