Acura Integra...RS into Type-R

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Acura Integra...RS into Type-R

Recently, i've been looking into purchasing a vehicle, and i'm been looking at the integras. I've also become interested in the Type-R's. I know the Type-R Integra's are really rare, but I heard an engine swap would only be a few grand.

So, My question is, is it worth it for me to buy a base RS model, then do an engine swap to a Type-R and keep the total price around 10 grand. Or would it be too much of a hassle and I should settle for a GS-R or some other type? Thanks

posted by  BobDoleX

well, if you insist on getting an integra I would get the GSR. all you would do is a suspension upgrade and you got yourself an integra type-R. So just get a GSR put some mods on it and you saved yourselve some money.

posted by  s13_Drifter

Forget the ITR (unless you like spending $20k on something that runs high 14s), they handle extremely well, but for $20k, you could do better. My :2cents: get a RS/LS/GS with a b18b1 in it. Turbo that. Big power. Will blow the doors off any N/A ITR.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Alright, thanks for the insight, i'll keep those comments in mind ^_^

posted by  BobDoleX

rs/gs/ls with turbo get around 225 horse out of the original 142/140....itr starts with 195 and is made to run at that hp...dunno with it is with you guys and "just turbo it" also the gsr tho kind of hard to find at a good price range runs 170 hp and when and if you turbo it ends up with some where around 260...(numbers with turbos include intercooler) .. also itr is not a gsr with better suspension...its just a little more then that... you can get a itr engine for around $4500 turbos with intercoolers run around 3-4 grand... why dont youe even think about a gsr engine tons of mods and fairly cheap engine (3 grand) go the way you want but theres the facts

posted by  importfan0103

Yeah you make a valid point. Turbo on a GSR won't make it better than a Type-R. Theres a hell of alot of suspension that has went into the Type-R.
But it sounds like you want the Type-R engine, but if you're gonna buy GSR it had better damn well be under 10K. I say that because if its something like 15K then you put in a $4500 engine, you're up to $19,500. If you're gonna do that you might as well have bought the Type-R.

posted by  DSMer

Yeah, in a straight line. Big frickin deal. If you're just going to go drag racing, forget FWD stuff anyway. For far less money you can make a used RWD car quicker. If you're going to butcher a car all up to make a drag car, you're losing all the reliability and build quality advantages late model Japanese cars have over old domestic RWD cars anyhow. A gutted Integra or Civic is no better a place to spend your day than a gutted Mustang (or a full interior Mustang). But the Mustang will be quicker for less money.

An ITR, on the other hand, is not supposed to be a drag car. It is a precision tool for autocross and road racing, with factory installed modifications that would cost over $20k to do at a pro race shop to the average integra or Civic (or any other street car that is getting prepped for the rigors of a few seasons of endurance road racing). And trust me, to duplicate what the ITR can do starting with an Intagra RS or GSR will take that much money, unless you're REAL good at fabricating structural and suspension parts yourself.

posted by  ChrisV

I agree RWD is better, but it seems he's stuck on the Integra, why i said the other models. Plus, you can get a b18b1 equipped Integra for $5000-$6000 in good condition...it can handle 8-9psi on stock internals (good for around 225-240hp)...My friend has been running his b18b1 @ 12psi on his T3/4e for a while now and has had no problems, only internal modification is forged pistons. Hit 21x fwhp from what i remember. Plus, for the $15,000 you saved over buying the ITR, think about what you could do suspension wise on the GS/LS/RS integra you bought. Make it even better than the ITR's setup for sure.

The GSR motor cant handle as much boost stock as a B18b can because of the higher compression. Most places don't recommend going over 6-7psi on a stock B18c1. You can easily do 8-9psi on a stock b18b1. I've even seen one do 11psi on a stock engine for a while. Bottom line is the b18b1 engine turboed will make the msot power out of the b18s turboed stock for the least amount of $. You might be able to boost a b18c1 to about 7psi. Hit maybe around the same crank hp as a B18b1 boosted, but the b18b1 costed $800 for the engine and the B18c1 costed nearly $2k more. See why turboing a B18c1/c5 is not smart? you can just turbo the b18b1 for a lot cheaper and make more power without having to change the internals. turbo an ITR b18c5 motor is just retarded. I wouldn't boost it at anything over 6psi on the stock motor. It's a high compression motor and should stay that way. In either case the first thing you really need to do if turboing a b18c1/5 is replace the internals and create a lower compression (pistons/rods, maybe valvetrain)...which is a lot of EXTRA $$.

Remember, part of the ITR's suspension goodness is in the structural reinforcements welded into the A piler, around the lower front subframe, and in teh rear, as well as the seam welding so the car doesn't tear apart under constant cornering loads. Then there's the larger bearing sizes in much beefier suspension parts, that even the aftermarket ones don't quite match.

I remember reading about a track prepped GSR with big brake kit, and adjustible suspension, being compared to a stock ITR. the ITR was faster out of the box on the track, with better brakes, better braking feel, and more responsive suspension. As racers have been finding out, it takes a LOT to even equal the stock ITR's setup in overall balance and ability.

posted by  ChrisV

fwd = :sleep:

posted by  importluva

i agree

posted by  mazda6man

Roll cage, sways, Fully adjustable Tien coil over suspension, big brake kit and the works and i am pretty sure you could do pretty damned well and still have spent less than you would for an ITR.

posted by  Arthur

I also agree though i do drive a Fwd car lol

posted by  Lukaz

Pfft. Importluva you've been after FWD since day one. Some of the best handling cars out there are FWD, Inlcuding the ITR. FWD may not be as fast as RWD or AWD, but who says you need to go fast to have fun? I'd love to see you take an Integra Type-R arround a track and still call FWD boring. You'd be crazy to still hold shuch an opinion. Not all cars are meant for fast speed deamoning. I once drove a slighlty modified Dodge Neon and an open track event. I probably did no more tha 60MPH, and some of the track was not even track just cones(Yes I hit cones). None the less it was still fun. Don't have such a grim interpretation of FWD

Give respect and credit where its due... thats all I'm saying.

posted by  DSMer

I been in a type-R i found it fun :thumbs: my cars quite fun to drive as well. cant really comment cos i havent drive a Rwd FR or anything like that yet..

posted by  Lukaz

RWD = only superior on pristine track conditions.

posted by  Arthur

Your Message