Some Ideas....

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Some Ideas....

Hey y'all, I need some ideas for a performance upgrades on my 1982 Toyota Supra hatchback. I a couple of ideas and i was wondering if there is any opinion of supen., bolt-ons, tires, etc... The motor is in good condition with approx. 40k miles on it. just keep in mind that the money is an issue. :umh: I thinks thats all. Thank you.

posted by  Coffin Type R

40,000 miles on a 23 year old car? Suuuure...

posted by  What

the car has 170k on it, the engine has 40k to 45k on it. I had the motor replaced with a japanese import motor, cuase the other one blew a nice hole right above the oil pan and threw a rod. Nice mess it sure was. :mrgreen:

posted by  Coffin Type R

nice car... is that the actually car on the picture?

posted by  Ki2AY

You're not talking about his sig picture, right? I hope you aren't...

posted by  What

well it wont sound so bad if i tell ya that i didnt bother reading his first post.. i just clicked the title, and assumed that was the car he needed help on, i just notice he was askin help for a 82 supra.

posted by  Ki2AY

hmm, actually, the most common thing i have heard of is swapping 7M's or 1JZ's or 2JZ's into these cars. i have seen quite a few with the original 6M engine with some mods. im not exactly sure wat they get done and wat is their max safe output as i havent seen that many with heavy mods (its a rare thing). i have seen some autocross ones, even got a video of one.

but im betting engine swap is out of the question, so ill try to get onto details. first, if its any help, u can drop by the SONIC site or the SOGI site just in case (just in case people, dont start biting).

as far as the engine goes, i know that the 6M crank sometimes gets used in the 7M. even though the 6M has a bit smaller displacement (2.8L), i think it can still receive the same mods as the rest of its sons and grandkids, just not at such a high level. i believe the max numbers i have seen on these stock engines have been somewhere around the 400's-450's. there might be a few with even higher numbers, but those are just getting above average levels. so in average, around 350 would be extremely safe.

as far as mods go, its the same story in every engine. probably replacing the pistons and rods would be the safeest bet, seeing as the crank can seemingly resist alot.

posted by  Inygknok

Actually the engine is a 5M-GE, not a 6M. The 6M is a 2.9L. the 5M is a 2.8L.

I have considered an engine swap for a 7M or 6M with a 7M turbo kit. The only problem there is the movement of the sensors and EGR valve to fit the bigger engine. That idea is not out the question becuase I can get a used Japanese 6M-GE or 7M-GE motor for $550 to $600. The motors would have around 40k miles on them. I am tossing that idea around, along with a header, cat-back exhuast, and CAI, also dropping in a manual tranny, 'cuase this car is the L-type, complete with Leather seats and automatic. I just wanted to see if there is any other ideas out there.

Also, some opinions on supension would be nice.

posted by  Coffin Type R

my bad.

anyhow, u could instead get the 7m-gte, its doable. in fact, the president of SONIC has a follow up on his MKII with a 7M-GTE in it. really sweet ride.

posted by  Inygknok

I will probably go that route. Do you have any ideas on supension and tires? Which would be a good idea for my car, mainly for autocross?

posted by  Coffin Type R

usually its a really good idea to put alot of work on those for autocross. as for tires, just go with a good brand that offers some tires with nice grip.

my boss (the second one, the one from the speed shop) always says the same thing when it comes to suspension and other parts, "Tanabe man. wat else?"

posted by  Inygknok

Save your money and get a 7m-GTE for a grand.

http://www.jspecautosports.com/jas/html/toyota.html#

http://www.japanstarmotor.com/7mgte.html

Much better starting point.

posted by  thunderbird1100

yea :P

posted by  Inygknok

Your Message