Maximum HP in Japan?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Maximum HP in Japan?

Hi. Sorry for the ignorant question, but I couldn't find the answer on Google or whatever.

I heard that Japanese cars don't have alot of horsepower is because the limit on horsepower in Japan is 276. Is this true? I have seen Japanese cars that have more, but when I did more research on them it said they were designed for America. Please answer.

posted by  njbseeb123

yes, in Japan there is an HP law. my brother called me the other day though, and told me that this law is either getting increased or maybe even eliminated. wether this is true or not, i dont know for sure.

the limit is of 280Hp right now in Japan. yes, many cars actually have more power, but they are de-tuned in japan so they can be legal. the japan spec supra has 280hp while the rest of the world gets a 320hp (factory rated) version. same goes with the skylines and many other cars.

posted by  Inygknok

I too have heard of hp restrictions coming down. However, im not so sure there was ever a law. It was a "gentlemen's agreement".

posted by  importluva

you are partially correct, the factory limit is set at 280hp and all cars are rated at 280hp or less But many infact have More power and they are not detuned, they are just undderrated. Like what they did with muscle cars back in the 60's in the u.s, they would just underrate muscle car power for insurance reasons and what not.

posted by  Arthur

yea, though this is still done with MANY cars out there in the market nowadays. so it wouldnt be surprising. some are even overrated, such as the RX-8 which was first claimed to have 250hp, then it came down to 238, and thats still supposedly being overrated.

posted by  Inygknok

Bikes in Japan are limited to 186 mph through a "gentlemans agreement". I wonder if that will be lifted. I know there were some 200.2 mph Hyabusas sold in the US before the restrictions.

posted by  abless

The thought of a 200.2 mph hayabusa intrigues me considering the fact that 200mph has never been touched, or so i've heard. My mom works at Buell motorcycle comp and i have heard stories of a 200mph busa but have been reassured many times it hasnt happened by the guys she works with.

posted by  littlledevil696

Trust me. There ARE 200.2 mph capible busas.

posted by  abless

i heard that in japan... while they do have 280 ponie limit, some of the companies will go beyond it and "for the records" post it at 280

posted by  mazda6man

i'm not doubting if a busa is capable of it but can it do it. The fact that any motorcycle could hit 200 mph is pretty impossible. From the factory the old busa's had a very impressive top speed of 194mph as the newer ones merely run in the low 180's. I know it has something to do with the aerodynamics of a motorcycle that just doesnt allow it to go that fast. There are motorcycles called streamliners that specificly built to go in excess of 300mph but they are basicly long tubes with 2 wheels and very very large motors.

posted by  littlledevil696

ummmmm i dont know where you get your info from but there are quite a few hayabusas that have hit over 200mph ive even read of a few that hit like 208. Besides ever think of the 400hp busas? the built turbocharged ones.

posted by  Arthur

i know it is VERY hard for a bike to hit the 200mph barrier due to downforce issues, but if any could do it out of the factory I would put my money on the busa!

Any chance of some confirmation on this anyone? I'm sure the engine can push it there in paper figures, but would like to see how they overcame the downforce problem. looking at the bike, it doesn't seem to show any dramatic aerodynamics to the eye.

posted by  Unlicensed

What the GSX gets no love? There are 3 nice bikes out currrently the YZF-R1 made by Yamaha. And the two Suzukis: the GSX and the Hayabusa. The R1 is the slowest. The Busa is the fastest. But the GSX is the best. But yeah there are busas that have broken 200. I know it hast been done stock but modded the Busa is a demon on the strip. The GSX is the fastest stocker on the market. And i think that only hits what 190? less? i think its about 185.

But as for the turboed Busas yeah i heard of them even seen pics. They are seriously quick. Only race-legal though. I think all (good) turbo bikes are race only.

posted by  VMJYogi

I would think that Honda would take place in the bike HP wars as well. Since all the bike races in Asia uses Honda motorcycles. And i do not mean the ones the public gets, the ones used in professional championships.

posted by  aerith

I'm not talking about "streamliners". I'm talking about STOCK Suzuki Hayabusa 1300's. If I'm not mistaken, the year 2000 models did NOT have a electronically limited top speed. With the biggest stock engine on a sportbike, and specially designed aerodynamics, it COULD hit 200 mph stock. I just re-looked it up in "Bike". In issue #370, they stated

If you still don't believe me, take it up with Bike, not me.

posted by  abless

The Hayabusa never had a turbocharger stock.

posted by  abless

Sorry, but the only bike that has downforce issues is the Y2K bike. It's turbine power, and hits almost 300 mph. The rear tire would burn up at that speed. 200 mph was NEVER an issue of downforce.

posted by  abless

Yamaha the slowest?

Sportrider.com:

04 Yamaha R1: 9.93 @ 147.4 mph
04 Sukuki GSX-R1000: 9.96 @ 144.7 mph

Looks like Yamaha won.

posted by  abless

They absolutly do.

Sportrider.com:

2004 Honda CBR1000RR: 149.1 hp @ 11,500 rpms.
2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000: 152.3 hp @ 11,000 rpms.
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R: 164.2 @ 12,000 rpms.
2004 Yamaha YZF-R1: 158.9 hp @ 12,750 rpms.

They are "losing", but that is not to say they aren't competing.

posted by  abless

Isnt honda planning the CBR1200XX which is suppose to be the next blackbird .

http://hometown.aol.com/ffastcbr/1200bb.jpg

Also this is suppose to be the future the CBR1600XX
http://map.free.fr/ES21.jpg

Of course there both prototypes and may never be relieased

posted by  Lukaz

I think Honda really needs some work in the styling department.

posted by  abless

Your Message