Can't Decide....HELP

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Can't Decide....HELP

Im a 16 year old and I am looking to buy an import car and slowly mod it. I work two jobs and am making enough money to put some of it away for mods. The only problem is, I don't know a lot about cars especially imports.
Thats where all of you come in. Please let me know what car are worth looking for that are fun and easy to mod. Any opinions are wanted and needed. Thanks!!!!

posted by  importnoob04

Take some time to surf forums online. There is so much information available that you will be overwhelmed.

Now, to start you off on a few imports. DSMs are very tunable and cheap to upgrade. These include Mitsubishi Eclipses, Eagle Talons, Mitsu. 3000GT, etc.

You can also try Acura Integra GSR, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica, Nissan 240sx, the list is endless.

posted by  importluva

Thanks a lot for starters...
If anyone else has something to throw in let me know. I am always looking for ideas. But as for performance and something that will be worth modding what do you all suggest?

posted by  importnoob04

i listed them for that reason.

posted by  importluva

Ok I looked at the prices of those cars that you gave me. I really liked the Nissan 240sx. So I would like to know if this would be a good choice and what is to be expected of this car. Also How many miles is too many miles to add performance parts to a car without blowing the engine?
Thanks

posted by  importnoob04

Hey man, I'm looking at that car too! If you find out anything useful about it tell me and mabe we can swap ideas and such, althouhg im a noob at this..
Peace

posted by  dabeem

The 240sx is a nice car that i have been been looking for myself for a bit now. It is a rare find in my area and talking to some dealers it's quite hard to find anywhere. When the car came out it was considered the market standard for sporty, affordable 2 door cars and was choice over cars such as the prelude and the probe. It has good handling and nice acceleration but if you live in a place where it snows or you're a newer driver than the rwd might be a little difficult to get used to but i find it to be more enjoyable. Now personally i would go with the 1990-1994 hatch because if you decide to swap out the ka24de motor that was rated at 155hp for the sr20det then it should just drop right in without any major work. There is a newer model between 1995-1998 that looks closer to the j-spec silvia but it is pricier and has the same power rating although you do get the advantage of a newer car with lower mileage maybe. The market for this car isn't as huge as cars like the eclipse and the civic but the market is there. As for your question about the miles i dont have an answer but i do know of 240's that have gone past 200,000 miles with minor engine mods so the nissan motor is a sturdy one.

posted by  littlledevil696

I to am a 16 year old looking for his first car and after much thought and money saving i have decided to buy a R32 GTR.

posted by  GreekWarrior

a 95 Civic DX coupe. i have one. and there good. if u want to modify it its good. its light and u can fit almost any engine to it. well honda engines.and they look good. its a nice car.

posted by  mytragicend

whats your budjet for the car alone? and what do you have in mind? please fill us in with more information. do you prefer manual or auto? 4 door or coupe? etc...

posted by  Ki2AY

Where are you from, US, UK, or elsewhere? Just keep in mind that here in the US, the R32 is not sold and needs to be imported. THere are shipping fees, the liscense fees, the speedometer, the glass needs to be changed, and pass smog in the state you live in. Which in Cali, it is extremly tough.

posted by  Coffin Type R

the whole 240sx ordeal has been discussed quite a few times, even descriptions on the engines have been given. like importluva said, take some time to search for that info in these forums. i can guarantee ya u will find the information quickly cuz i wrote some of it myself.

gl with the cars guys.

posted by  Inygknok

ok, the s13 is my favorite car, and yeah, if you get it here are somethings you should look at:

- sr20 swap from the ka24
- .2 liter JUN stroker kit
- turbo swap, depends on preference of type of racing.
- turbo parts, (i.e.- BOV, intercooler, wastegate (external), ceramic turbine (for higher rpms in the turbine)

these are the things I have been thinking of for a while at least if you're going to get the 240sx (s13) [ I like the coupe better ]

posted by  s13_Drifter

been nice knowing ya! (16yo + gtr = you dead!)

posted by  Unlicensed

When I get my car I’m not gona be one of those idiots that drives their car like a maniac. :screwy:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Your Message