DSM or 240sx on a budget?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  DSM or 240sx on a budget?

That's pretty much my question, but also, in your experience, which is better for street racing (ie not just drag), so handling and stuff. If there are better cars for this than these two used for about the same price range 3000-4500 I'd be happy to find out about those too.
Thanks,
Peace

posted by  dabeem

The 240sx is a very good drift car. It has good balance and handling. You say DSM, but which DSM?

posted by  importluva

In england we have the 200SX its either a 2.0litre or a 1.8 litre
(both turbocharged) the 240sx FR drive making it one of the best drift cars out there along with what my dad used to own the AE86! :smoke: aka corolla levin

DSM correct me if im wrong because im british and thefore we dont have theese cars except for the eclipse stands for Diamond star motors and you can buy three diffrent types

Plymouth laser
Eagle talon
Mitsubishi eclipse

Also correct me if im wrong but DSM was named after the diamond used from the mitsubishi emblem and the Star from chryslers emblem?

There both great cars. so id say which one you prefer go for it :wink2: and good luck matey :thumbs:

posted by  Lukaz

The DSM I'm thinking of is a used one i saw for $2500, its a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Probly sh!tty since its so cheap, but i dunno.
EDIT: 1991 Eclipse link (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=166689862&dealer_id=&car_year =1991&make=MIT&distance=75&max_price=&model=ECLIP&advcd_on=n&end_year=1997& min_price=&first_record=26&certified=n&address=98115&search_type=used&advan ced=n&start_year=1990&=&color=&cardist=2)

posted by  dabeem

GSX is one of the more rare DSMs, its the turbo AWD version and a highly sought out car. If you look here (http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/mitsubishi/eclipse/1970/prices.html?tid=e dmunds.u.mipmake.pricetable.num4.1.mitsubishi*), you will see that they don't have much value left. If it is in good condition, then surely go for it.

If i may suggest a few more in your area:

1993 Infiniti G20 (http://cars.com/go/search/fs_search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchTyp e=21&cid=&dlid=&dgid=&zc=98115&makeid=20&modelid=&pageNumber=0&numResultsPe rPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+desc ending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_20_%7CB-4000%7CN-N%7CR-30% 7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-98115&aff=national)

1994 Mazda 626 w/ 6cyl. (http://cars.com/go/search/fs_search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchTyp e=21&cid=&dlid=&dgid=&zc=98115&makeid=30&modelid=&pageNumber=0&numResultsPe rPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+desc ending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_30_%7CB-4000%7CN-N%7CR-30% 7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-98115&aff=national)

posted by  importluva

Thanks, that looks like a great site too by the way. So I've figured out how much it would cost total if I were to buy that car and mod it according to www.dsmtuners.com, about 4500. I've been trying for a while to figure out how much it would cost to get about 300+ hp from the 240sx but i can't, does anyone know the answer?
Thanks,

posted by  dabeem

it really doesnt take much to get that much power out of a 240sx. if ur going on a budget then the best way would be:

SR20DET Redtop

5 speed trans (early sylvias shared the same 5 speed with the 240's that have ka24's)

T28 turbo found in the S14 Blacktop engine

SARD or Denzo (forgot) 720cc top feed fuel injectors with new fuel rail (you can find the fuel rail for these cars at the same store you find the jets).

walbro fuel pump, the 255 one

steel braided fuel lines (cheap)

fuel pressure regulator (Aeromotive one for around $45)

ECU tune, can vary from $400-$600 for these cars, but its a damn good thing to get.

3" Downpipe with all the way 3" exhaust pipes.

New Air filter, i like the Apex'i ones (washable and offer the most power compared to other ones).

SPEC or ACT clutch kit - $300-$350

that's it really, i have seen more mods done and still maintain a cheap price, such as a new aluminum radiator which you can buy easily by selling the old one. also a new electric fan would be nice and it would get you some more power.

posted by  Inygknok

You say "it really doesnt take much to get that much power out of a 240sx", so, how much power do you think i could get out of a 240sx with about 100,000 - 180,000 miles on it? Oh, and how much do you think that would all add up to (edit: your first post, not the crazy power estimate)?
Yea, and thanks too man!
Peace,

EDIT: Importluva, i just say your suggestions, might i ask why you suggest those rather than other cars?

posted by  dabeem

i only posted once..... and redtop sr20's come with no more than 80k miles. atleast i have never seen a redtop sr20 come with more than 80k miles on it.

if wat u want is to go ahead and keep the ka24de engine..... well i havent seen any up close in personal with full mods, and there arent THAT many out there with full out mods, *yet*. i have heard of various with very good results, but some more work is required. new camshafts, cam gears, i think valves, most possibly pistons and rods..... though it depends on the final power output.

i know for a fact new camshafts are a pretty must, and i would think about new con rods. probably would give valves a try. cant give you any exact info on the ka24de, sorry.

EDIT: on my first post, all the parts i mentioned are to achieve a 300 (probably more) hp output to the wheels with the redtop sr20det. you can get more out of it, but i was just giving you the rough sketch idea.

posted by  Inygknok

Heh, what i meant was your ballpark estimate for the engine swap etc. that you described, rather than when i asked how much power was possible. What do you think the ballpark cost of that whole engine swap thing you suggested?

posted by  dabeem

it would honestly depend on wat u get, and where from. the one thing that does kinda kill things is shipping costs, but that applies with pretty much alot of things. unless you find a speed shop nearby that can get you the engine and will make a deal with ya. so far, i have seen these engines vary from $1,500 all the way up to $2,800. usually, it's a $2,200-$2,500 deal these days, but those are the costs from extremely well known shops that will offer you very good service and trust. some people will say its too much, but u get wat u pay for. also, by selling all your old stuff (the old ka24de, the old trans, etc.), you will get much of your money back. you could either get an engine kit or a front clip. doesnt matter which you get, they will both cost the same. for these cars, i really dont see much of a need to discuss which is the best one to get, as many of the well known shops sell the engine kits with everything you need, including uncut harnesses and transmissions. its pretty much up to you.

posted by  Inygknok

Well thanks dude, I think I might just get the eclipse because it is way cheaper, but, like you said, you get what you pay for, maybe ill just save up for the 240sx.
Peace

posted by  dabeem

the 240sx can be just as cheap actually. if u want a new radiator, just sell the old one. new engine, sell the old one, so on so on. so u basically cut down on losses quite alot. another friend of mine is doing this, but hes the first one i have to help out on a tight budget. we are hoping to build the car to have ~300hp to the wheels with just around $3,000 worth of mods, excluding the car. thats about the same amount that would go on a DSM.

posted by  Inygknok

Wow, cool, looks like I'll have to save anyway seeing as i only really have 3500 for it right now. If your friend's 240 works out well and the part list is different from the one in your previous post, maybe pm me it or something.
Thanks,

posted by  dabeem

so far i have been involved in 3 of these swaps, but the owners of the cars had already researched the necessary info and all went with s14 blacktops, due to lower mileage and they had the money for it. im not changing any of the previously mentioned parts, maybe just the fuel jets, but i prefer that my friend goes with the top feed ones and the new fuel rail. any extra work im telling him to do has to do with the head gasket, and the rest is just being considered. but the parts mentioned are the definite things being bought and installed.

the only extra things he is adding is a new radiator and a new fan that blows 2700 cfm, electric one. oh, and relocating the battery, but thats a stupid simple mod.

posted by  Inygknok

go with dsm. get a firs generation eclipse gsx its allwheeldrive so it handles very good has turbo and the average price for one in good condition is under $3000

posted by  nektratta

Your Message