What ever happened to the CRX?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  What ever happened to the CRX?

I remember about a year ago everybody was talking about the CRX concept for late 2004 or early 2005, now all of the sudden everybody dropped it. It's coming on late 2004 and i haven't heard any news or press releaes from honda. Did they just abandon the idea of bringing back one of their most brilliantly engineered cars?

Sure the stock CRX was a lump of crap that could barely keep up with corrola wagons and mini-vans. But they are Hondas, and because of that it is ridiculously easy to do an engine swap and put some power into the 1800 pound chasis. Not only that but its a cheap car, you can find one in decent condition for $800 and swap a ZC(the stock engine in japan with 135 horse and 120 torque)for only $600. not a lot of power, but a pretty fast daily driver that you can take "pep boy tuned" civics with. Also 2nd gen rex's came with hondas legendary dual wishbone suspension that allowed for easy and cheap suspension mods, this all allows for a Cheap, reliable car that could waste a lot of those Auto-zone-upgraded-wannabe-racers-that-watched-the-fast-and-the-furious-and -went-to-buy-a-civic-put-colored-windshield-wipers-on-and-said-they-were-st reet-racer types out there.

But anyway, back to the topic. Does anyone know what happened to the CRX concept? thanks.

posted by  Zalight

to tell you the truth i never heard of the crx concept in the first place. what did it look like ? but i think the crx is only good for one thing and that is the drag strip.

posted by  boosted rb

they said late 04 or early 05.... thats all i heard, and maybe the reason why they havnt been talking about it is because maybe they would want to come out wid a BIG BANG and surprise us :wink2: . who knows...

and in reply to boosted, the "NEW" crx is a 2 seater coupe, which is suppose to be one super light car!. it kinda looks like a mini RSX. try searching it on google.

posted by  Ki2AY

we even talked about it here some weeks ago. sometimes something new is about to come out, but once it takes a bit too long to come out, well, ppl get bored of the subject and move on to other things.

posted by  Inygknok

You're saying a superlight 1900 lbs car would be only good at the drag strip? What about auto-x?

posted by  abless

if you havent seen the concept go to http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/crx/

posted by  Zalight

you might be forgeting about the not so great steering they have it is good but because of the ff and not the fr it does not have a great turning radius but yes it is a good car your right

posted by  boosted rb

Havent heard of the new CRX... i cant see the pictures on the link given :ohcrap: ersonally i think people are more excited about hondas HSC concept car. im not sure if its going to replace the NSX i hope it isnt! ive heard rumours of a new NSX coming somtime in 2005. i dont know what to believe really.. but i do know i look forward to it :thumbs:

posted by  Lukaz

Honda Hsc?

posted by  Ki2AY

Im sure there was a thread about the honda HSC... not to worry matey :thumbs:

The honda HSC (honda sports concept) is a concept car that unvailed at the 2003 tokyo motorshow.. i dont know much more about it at the moment its suppose to have 300BHP

http://www.autoservicepraxis.de/sixcms4/sixcms_upload/media/126/honda_hsc.j pg

http://www.autogazeta.com/g/431/Honda_HSC_lv.jpg

some say this is the future NSX... other think there is going to be plans for a new NSX in 2005..

posted by  Lukaz

the Honda HSC is the next generation of the Honda NSX. Honda havnt actually called it the HSC but thats what most motor guru's think it will be badged. also Honda havnt even been talking about it much so its not official news unlike the new CRX.

posted by  WeaponR

started by me ofcourse! :hi:

i read it will have 24 valve Acura V-6 engine, not sure

posted by  WeaponR

LMFAO!!! that is the best, and the worst part abut it is its so true.

posted by  s13_Drifter

Of course thats sounds just like a honda idea.. a midship V6 engine.. after doing some more research i hear that shifting will be done by paddles on the steering wheel

posted by  Lukaz

I hate manu-matics, including paddle shift. I know that it is formula one inspired technology but it still has the feel of a tiptronic transmission. it merely gives old ladies the feel of a standard transmission, but to any one that has ever driven the two knows that it has slow, choppy shifts that dont live up to a true standard, but it's a good marketing tactic. Gotta give credit to the car companies, they know how to get they're cash. :2cents:

posted by  Zalight

paddle shifting is actually not that bad. it takes some getting used to, but u get the hang of it eventually. i still prefer the actual clutch-pedal style manuals, but u know, its nice to see such technological advances in cars.

posted by  Inygknok

Agree with inygknok. It sounds like a cool idea to me.. ive never driven a paddle shift car apart from in an arcade :screwy: . Maybe paddle shifting may one day take over sticks :ticking: who knows...

posted by  Lukaz

maybe the HSC is the 2005 NSX? :doh:

posted by  Ki2AY

The day that paddle shift takes over stick is the day I quit my job, slap a cop, make love to my best friends uber hot mom then jump off a sky scraper.

posted by  Zalight

i learned paddle shift with my boss (the one im not working with anymore, the rich sob).

still, i would kill everyone the day the original standard ceases to exist. i seriously doubt that would ever happem as long as engines like today's exist, and those will be around for a very long time.

posted by  Inygknok

i hate the manu-mantic (as you so well put it... which i like)... as you change the gear, the stick doesnt change the gear, it mearly tells the computer "hey buddy, time to switch gears for this fool, who wants the higher rpm's" if you will..., thus leading to lag time inbetween telling it to chang and having it change...

posted by  mazda6man

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
....... damn i needed that, thats funny sh1t..

posted by  jzxTT

You obviously haven't been to an SCCA event.

posted by  thunderbird1100

They say late next year for the next gen NSX...Honda's president did come out and say the HSC was the 'basis' for the next NSX.

As far as engines go...it's definatley NOT going to be a V-8 as their program was dropped. S ofar all rumors point to a 3.5L turbo V-6...which I think would be the msot logical plan since they have no V-8...a N/A V6 won't do it again unless they add two more cylinders to a K24 and make it displace 3.6L for a I-6 (or V-6..although this being mroe complicated) setup and then make that a high compression motor and tune it for around 380hp {911 GT3 fighter} (still going to have pretty pathetic torque though...and that's what NSX owners want).

Paddle shift tech is really coming along..Audi just came out with the paddle shift DSG gearbox and that will basically outshift any human being on a standard (uses twin clutches).

The other problem is changing gears .. you can go from a 3rd to a 5th with sticks but with the paddle shifts you probably gotta go from a 3-4-5 ..
Never driven a car with paddle shifts so cant comment on what i think about them or how they compare to sticks.

posted by  Lukaz

most manu-matic transmissions, wether sequential, electronic, or whatever (cuz there are many), can mostly shift gears rather quickly. some are rather slow, as slow as automatics actually, some even slower, but some are really fast.

if we are talking about top of the line paddle shifting systems, such as a ferrari or a top of the line bmw one (80ms upshifting speed), then its a whole different story. u could change 1-5 just a bit slower than with a stick from 3 directly to 5, and only cuz of how long it takes u to move ur fingers to press the paddle. downshifting is the real weakness of all of these systems. some have extremely great upshifting times, but they suck at downshifting, specially some sequential systems. thats where the comparison becomes really arguable, at the downshifting.

posted by  Inygknok

Your Message