seams on the side frames of 99 Galant?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  seams on the side frames of 99 Galant?

I bought 99 Galant ES about 6 months ago. At the time, the title was clean based on a carfax report. Two days ago, I found there is a seam on the each side of the bottom frame (chassis). Especially, I can clearly see the seams right on the top of the bottom frames when I open the front doors. When the front doors are closed, I can merely see the seams on the side of the frame. And I looked down to the bottom of the side frame (chassis), the seam can be easily seen. Each side has one seam. The seam is located about half way of the bottom frame if only the front door part of the frame (chassis) is considered. However, I don't see any color change around the seam area. I suspected that the car was welded by two salvage cars. I went to a body shop today and talked with an expert there. He took a look at the seams and said that they might be seams from the factory. He didn't think the car was welded from two damaged cars. He said if the car were sectioned, it would have been welded around the position where the front and rear doors are connected. Could someone else please verify this information for me if you do own a Galant(years 99, 00, 01). If the seams are from the factory, why wouldn't mitsubishi make them less visible. Thanks.

posted by  shenbao

i got a 97 galant here, is it worth me cheacking that for you? only i dont remember if the shape changed in the mean time? let me know and I'll cheak when back at work tomorrow.

i tried to look just now but its too dark at the mo.

posted by  Unlicensed

The shape might be changed. If it is convenience for you, please check it and post your findings. I looked a 2001 galant this morning from the outside a car. It does have a seam on the side of the bottom frame. The seam is located at the similar position as mine. However, I wasn't able to open that car's door to verify this further. Thanks for your reply.

posted by  shenbao

i cheaked both my galant and legnum (station wagon galant) and could find no seems as you described on either. sorry bud!

i remember that on some car I've seen here though that it had the seem stright up the side. i think that was the older 2.0lt galant vr-4. but can't be sure what car it was.

cheak all your panel gaps. you might find evidence there as if it was a cut and shut they might have been sloppy. if your really worried though, just flick the car off and buy another.

posted by  Unlicensed

I heard the galant has been redesigned since 1999. I am going to check other galants made in 99 or later. I don't see anything suspecious except those seams. It's kind of strange for a new car to have seams visible from factory. but who knows. Thanks.

posted by  shenbao

Your Message