97 Maxima - Timing Belt

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  97 Maxima - Timing Belt

Hi,

I am still the first owner of this car (97 Maxima). The maintenance log booklet that came with it (when I bought) says to replace timing belt at 105K or 84 months. It has been 84 months and its current mileage is 90K. However I found a site on the net that says 97 Maxima's timing belt should be replaced at 60K. The information referenced nutzandbolts.org (I lost the site web url). It appears that my car is due for timing belt change one way or the other. Just curious, which mileage is right 60K or 105K? I would appreciate if any one can provide the answer.

Thanks.
Raghu/..

posted by  rudra

60,000 miles is recomended for any car have a look at it and if its cracked at all change it otherwise ull be rite for a wile. but if ur that worried just get a new 1

posted by  turbosmart

all jap cars used to recommend a change every 100,000km (60,000mls). that could be your confusion? 105k being kms and 60k being miles.

Recently though they have started recommending a change earlyer, 60,000km. there have been no real probalems with changing every 100, but obviously sooner is safer.

if your car is due? then change the belt :screwy: unless you wanna go bombing down the motorway and have it go while doing some speed and replace the engine. dont wait to see some cracks!

posted by  Unlicensed

replace as soon as posible dont take any risk , you dont wanna kill your fine engine .

curving valves and some bad stuff

posted by  ILdriver

Now, now children. Don't you think it would be much more helpful to this individual if you tried giving them some correct information? Remember girls THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT. You should try it, you might like it, it works like this.

Raghu, it's good that you're concerned about the well being of your car, but. The '97 Maxima's 3.0 DOHC V6 engine doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain. Nissan doesn't have a recommended replacement interval for the chain and in my experience they're good for almost 200k miles. As a matter of fact the only one I've ever seen break was on a car that was heavily abused, and it let go at 198k miles. Additionally when the chain, or more likely the tensioners starts to go bad, you'll hear it in plenty of time to get the needed repairs accomplished.

There ya go kids, short, simple and correct. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

i did suspect they had no belt in place of chain. but that was only 2nd hand info that I had not clarified.

anyway, ho hum.

I didn't think however that I was giving bad infomation. nor that I provoked such a response. just change your belt (if you have one) at least every 100,000km.

was that wrong? :doh:

posted by  Unlicensed

You gave one piece of essentially correct information, that being to recommend replacement of the t-belt every 60k miles/100k kilometers. If you would have stopped there I wouldn't have brought you into this. However if you read your post it's plain to see you've gone above and beyond with the incorrect info.

BTW, if you thought they had a chain instead of a belt, why didn't you say so THEN. I bet I know, I just can't prove it. You guys crack me up.

posted by  vwhobo

I figured if I said I thought they didn't even have a belt without KNOWING for sure I'd be in line for a flameing. Call me paraniod! As if you get flamed in here for that sort of thing????? :screwy: what was i thinking?

btw, I maybe should have clarified that the "recommended" change interval was for belts. but that was what the topic was, so didn't think I needed to.

posted by  Unlicensed

just bought a 97 maxima with 5 spd 165k miles thanks for info on timing chain!

clytle   21 Aug 2012 05:41

Your Message