1997 Honda Civic Coupe New stereo & Keyless entry

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  1997 Honda Civic Coupe New stereo & Keyless entry

Hi all

First time on a car forum...woohoo!

I've recently bought a 97 civic coupe.
It came with the keless entry system as standard and having done a Google search - I've found that to install a new stereo, I may have to keep the original stock radio in the car behind the new one.
This is because the keyless radio system for Civic's between 96-98 are connected to the stock radio.

FYI - I'm in the UK and this is a UK spec car.

Having spoken to some dealers about this - they have never heard of a situation like this which leads me to suspect that the problem may only be with US-spec Honda Civics (96-98).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

posted by  questionaddict

I've never heard anything about a remote door system being connected to the radio. It is possible though... My best advice to you would be to take your car to a sound shop and have them re-wire your remote system and wire up your head unit also. If you are good with wires, you could attempt to do this yourself, and a good wiring diagram of your remote system helps alot.

posted by  DSMer

Here's what you do: Take the car in for a professional install. They should know what they are doing. Plus, if they screw up your Alarm system, they will be held liable. It will be more expensive than doing it yourself, but if you screw it up it could end up costing you much more.

posted by  IS300GSXR600

it was kind of pointless to post that when dsmer just explained all he needed to know

posted by  EzMustang

whats your problem, yo? nothing wrong with adding more advice. just shows how correct DSMer is.

for my :2cents: ill say to get it looked at by a professional at a shop. itll cost more $$ but itll be better in the long run.

posted by  SuperJew

Your Message