Slight Problem....

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Slight Problem....

I'm looking at cars to buy currently and I was wondering if any of you people (who do know what they are talking about) can give me a list of the cars that they think are the best (speed, performance, looks-wise).

I am currently settling on a Nissan Skyline R33, though, I still need to do much research. So any of you who can give me tips on this car or any car you have in mind, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

posted by  XujinkoSky

Yeah skylines are cool, i'm going to buy a R32 GT-R soon :mrgreen: :thumbs: so yeah, skyline all the way.

posted by  GreekWarrior

deep pockets il take it? hmmm, best car is definatly all in opinion... an opinion that i havent figured out for myself... haha

posted by  mazda6man

I like your style :thumbs:

I've settled on the Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II Nur, stock for $35,000. Then I am planning on modding it out so it can smoke anything on the road. And I've seen the new ferrari's.... Powerful engines, indeed, but I doubt it can match the Skyline. w00t.

[I am extremely bias lmfao]

posted by  XujinkoSky

deep pockets indeed.... live in america? or somewhere else (japan)? cuz a n*ur is not the easiest thing to get ahold of... especially in america...

posted by  mazda6man

Actually, Yeah I live in America, though, I don't have deep pockets. I'm doing research on which car to buy when I get out of HS (Just 16 now) and I've got a plan already to get me that car I want. I need to learn about car parts, engines, performance, etc. but I cannot seem to find any website or book in my school library which talks about it.

Do you have any good websites where I can peruse to learn more about this? It'd be appreciated. I was also looking at the Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II Nur at www.modifiedcars.com and it is 0-60 in 4, 1/4 mile in 12 I believe. I am thinking this is not modded out to it's full potential. Anything you know about Skylines and their performance ratio?

posted by  XujinkoSky

Hmm..*ponders to himself for a minute and then begins to think of a reply*. For starters, just NO. Pull your head out of your ass for a minute, and regurgitate that 2 Fast 2 Furious DVD you tried to digest in your quest for knowledge. Sit down, listen up and take in some REAL knowledge. Skylines smoking Ferrari's? GTR V-Specs for $35? 16 yr olds with $40K. Ok, I think its time to take my reality pills again cuz I think I've fallen to la la land.

You live in America(a negative if you want a JDM car), you don't have deep pockets(another negative if you want a JDM car), and you're not even old enough, nor will you have the credit to buy a $40,000 vehicle by the time your 18(thats really a negative with anything that invovles buying pricey items). Point being, there are only 3 ways you will be able to purchase an R33, and I can assure you none of them cost under $35.

1.) You take your ass over to www.motorex.com to get the real low down on what buying a Skyline takes.

2.) You go to RBMotoring and get their low down on what its going to take to purchase a Sykline.

3.) You search arround for a Skyline allready imported to the US from a private party, or dealer. Wich is going to cost you up the ass.

If you have access to an internet connection and yous till can't seem to find any information regaurding car performance or anything relevant to how cars work. I thing you should pick up your copy of "Internet For Dummies" have that translated to the vocabulary of a 7th grader. Then after you are done reading that, head over to www.howstuffworks.com to find out how an engine works and other parts of the car. When you have completed that task, you may come back for further directions...

posted by  DSMer

Hey dickhead, I don't appreciate your incentive on insulting me on MY thread. How about YOU pull your head out of your ass and listen to what I have to say before you go on and say shit like that. I am 16, and I know I won't have stable credit. That is why I already have a plan. I know that Motorex is the only legal way to import a Skyline, it does cost approximately 16-25K to have them research the car, they make you pay for shipping, AND they make you pay for the downgrade.

How about you shut your hole and you get yourself a copy of "Communications for Idiots" because it seems you have absolutely nothing to say that is relating to my question. All you have done is flammed me and my opinions, so it is time for you to thrust that tail inbetween those legs and get the hell out. You are not wanted nor will you ever be wanted with that attitude.

Go educate yourself on assumptions and how they work, because that is what you are doing. You've lowered yourself to the standard of a common pest insulting my opinions. I've done nothing to insinuate such behavour. And on the topic of the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious, I loved Skylines even before the movie came out and it was not until a month ago that I actually began to try and learn about engines and cars and how they work. Next time you post, post something that helps people. Atleast I have the damn brains to learn about something like this, and pricks like you are just another obstacle.

So sit down, shut your mouth, and scurry on back to your little world.

-------------------------------------------

Now, does anyone have anything ELSE to add that will benefit me?

And please, do not post something what that fool posted.

Thanks.

posted by  XujinkoSky

Haha, "your" thread. Listen newb I'd suggest you re-read my original post, because its blatently obvious that I answered every single question that you asked. I'm sorry if my combination of answers and opinion soared miles above your head, but if you check you only asked 2 question. Both of wich I gave very reasonable responses to. Iregaurdless of how much I insulted you. The point at hand is that you don't know jack shit about cars, or Skylines for that matter. Nor do you know how to properly use the internet to search for such information.

Now, I don't know about you, but the last time I purchased a car. I think I knew more so about it than the name of it and some irrelivant performance test numbers I retrieved from some "modified" car site. You're trying to buy an everyday driver for all the wrong reasons in all the wrong ways. Now my suggestion of going to www.howstuffworks.com will somewhat better you in your quest for knowledge. But noo, you did'nt wanna listen. So I'll break it down for you to lamens just so YOU can understand. Afterall this is YOUR thread is'nt it?

You say you want to learn about car engines and how to make them peform better. Well first off you must know why the engine works like it does. Once you understand why, the how will come. So go over to howstuffworks and read the how car engines work. While you're at it read how turbos work, cooling systems, brakes, electrical systems, transmission, lsd's, etc.... As much thats is relevant to the basic operating of cars. Then you'll understand why a car works the way it does and all you'll automaticly know how an aftermarket injector works, or how a larger exhaust will help an engines performance.

**On a further note**
"I know that Motorex is the only legal way to import a Skyline, it does cost approximately 16-25K to have them research the car, they make you pay for shipping, AND they make you pay for the downgrade."

No Motrex is not the only legal way to import a Skyline, RBMotoring can also do it. $16,000-25,000 are rough estimates and they do not pertain to the the specific model you were talking about. Those are the base model Skylines. The V-Specs and GT-S you referred to particuarly cost in the $30,000-40,000 range. No shit they make you pay for shipping, I surley hope you did'nt expect them to do it? Of course you have to pay for the US DOT conversion. Wich is what you meant by "downgrade", wich is'nt something they do. The car is'nt downgraded its just modified to meet US standards. Any HP lost in the process is just a side product of the conversion.

You have a plan, yet you don't even know exactly it is what they do or what you'd be paying for? Ignorance is bliss I tell yah.... you gotta love it.

posted by  DSMer

I've already looked at the site you provided me. I am reading what it has to offer, and I thank you for that much. But your blunt application of knowledge has left you cold and distant, much like a brain you lack. I may not know about cars, but I have the incentive to learn about them. I love skylines because of how they look and perform. I don't care if it can't beat all of the cars out there.

And ignorance is only bliss if you allow it to manifest. I am learning new things, thus, eliminating the bliss. You've yet to know of my plan and you've yet to know how and when I intend to impliment it. So until YOU gain more knowledge of the topic at hand, I'd say you are the one full of ignorance. Next time, try to approach a problem with a calm mindset, because if all you do is flame people and insult them on their poor car knowledge, you have no business here. If all you do is think you are better than everyone else, then go play with your better friends and begone from here. As you can see, there are plenty of people out there that do not know much about cars or how to upgrade one. Certian parts and models are oblivious to them. So instead of taking the time in calling people idiots and stupid for not knowing, take the time to teach them about it and to make them non-ignorant, and perhaps you will have another person to talk to.

I suggest you follow my idea.

On the note of importing a skyline, I was not aware of RBMotoring, though, I am glad you brought it up. I read an article and it only mentioned MotoRex, so I assumed, against my better intellegence, that it was the only one. Also, I know of the expenses involved in importing a Skyline and this is why I am going to stay in Japan, most likely.

posted by  XujinkoSky

And another fight begins, "bing-bing-bing!"

how about we cool it down. you don't want to start acting like that Sniper kid.

posted by  moostang104314

Heh, I suppose so. Dunno who the sniper kid is.

posted by  XujinkoSky

Read through a few of the more recent threads, and you'll see, he just gets underneath everybody's skin. Talking a lot of BS, even though he doesn't know jack shi* about cars.

posted by  moostang104314

When you say you are settling on an R33, what in particular are you referring to? GTS, GTS25, GTS-4, GTS25t, GTR, coupe, sedan, manual, auto, series 1, series 2? The difference in these models varies from the sublime to the cor-blimey!

R33's in general are not overly popular here in NZ. They have a reputation of being overweight compared to the R32, and not as refined as the R34. They are often referred to as 'whales' which is a little unfair as the weight difference isn't that much. It is probably more to do with the body styling.

I have owned an R33 GTS25t series 2 (1997) auto sedan for 2 1/2 years now and its has been pretty good to us. We tend to use this as our daily driver.

I also have an R34 series 2 GTt maual coupe (2002) that I have owned for 18 months which on paper shares the same engine, is a whole different beastie in the flesh. Much more fun to drive and a real head turner. I could have bought an R33 GTR for the same $$$, but preferred the GTt.

Fortunately in New Zealand we don't have crap import laws so my R33 would be around US$9,000 and my R34 around US$25,000. I really feel for you guys...

My advice would be to think hard before getting an R33, and if at all possible, go for an R34.

posted by  Who?

this is probably a stupid question...but there seems to be quite a few Skyline fans here. Can someone please tell me if that is a yellow Skyline in the first Fast and the Furious movie? :banghead: thanks

posted by  ~SK~

driven by torreto's gang. if yes, i believe so

posted by  Coffin Type R

yea that one...I thought so I was just not sure...thanks :thumbs:

posted by  ~SK~

no problem.

but i am a fan of this car from the movie... :mrgreen:

posted by  Coffin Type R

I'll tell you someone else who knows jackshit about Skylines=Me. Only thing I have ever seen are the exterior pics(not overly impressed). Anyone have some good pics of engine and the interior? Any and all models.

posted by  lectroid

heres a couple after a quick search. (i love google)...

posted by  Coffin Type R

that is a sweet car...I have to ask though and please excuse my ignorance on the engine...but when they pulled that bitch off the truck what were they mumbling about with the engine? what is special bout that engine wrapped in a carcass?

posted by  ~SK~

THat motor is a 2JZ-GTE. It is one of the most sturdy motors made by Toyota. Without much mod. to the bottom, a chip change, valve spring and valve pin(i think that is the name), turbo and fuel upgrade, it is not impossible to get 500 hp out them. stock, they put out around 320hp with 315lbft, that is the twin turbo model.

posted by  Coffin Type R

no shit? nice...thanks for the 411

posted by  ~SK~

Thanks for the pics. Not to impressed with the interior, but the engine?GEE Mechanics nightmare or I should say shade tree mechanic.

posted by  lectroid

Thats one of the reasons i like them so much. Reading a mag. right now that has one in it. That supra, after doing everything i told you, and alittle more, has dyno-proven 600whp and 550lb-ft at 22 psi, with 93 octane. With race gas at 30 psi, the number jumps to an estimated 750whp and 650lb-ft that the driver claims to reach a top speed of 195 mph. And the car is clean, very clean.

posted by  Coffin Type R

Yeah, if had the money to buy and import that, i doing any work myself, no matter how much i wanted to.

posted by  Coffin Type R

R34 GTt...

posted by  Who?

any interior pics?

posted by  Coffin Type R

damn ....I like it cause you do not see these in the states and if you do see one they are still walking funny from being reamed in the ass for the shipping cost...I am always a fan for being different...hense me trying to beef up neon... :laughing:

posted by  ~SK~

i hear you, which why i was doing the same to my first car 1982 toyota celica supra :hi: :orglaugh:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Interior photos of the R34 GTt...

These were taken 10 mins ago in the garage so they are a bit dark. Will take some more in the daylight.

posted by  Who?

yeah an R33 GTR. :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Is that your skyline?

posted by  DSMer

Sure is :mrgreen:

posted by  Who?

Ahh you bitch you live in NewZealand. Post some more pictures yeah....?

posted by  DSMer

Thats only the inside. let me see the outside you lier.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Hehehehe...check out the signature. I am not a liar.

posted by  Who?

Meh thats nice and all. But two Skylines are'nt everything. There are an entourage of cars that are easily able to chomp some Skyline ass. :wink2:

posted by  DSMer

http://www.southernskylines.com/images/who/Dscn2389.jpg

posted by  Who?

The one on the left looks like an accord

posted by  CarEXPERT

Couldn't agree more however I might dispute the 'easily' part. There are a small number of damn fine cars out there which are better than a Skyline and well out of my price bracket too. Oh, and lets not forget the Miata! :mrgreen:

They certainly aren't everything, but they are nice enough for me and my wife.

posted by  Who?

Thats a gay skyline you have. I wouldnt pay 10 dollers for both of them.

posted by  CarEXPERT

*Looks at his signature* Yep... very easily.

posted by  DSMer

First you call me a liar, and then you insult me. Curious? Not sure what I did to deserve that. I thought these forums were for people to discuss cars and associated topics. Maybe I am mistaken.

posted by  Who?

I wasnt insulting you. I just dont like thoes skylines. dont be insulted by my opinons.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Fairy Nuff. I am not asking you to like them and you certainly are entitled to your opinion. But I wasn't lying.

posted by  Who?

Dude, those are a nice pair of skylines you have. You are lucky to live in New Zealand to get those cars without paying an arm and a leg to get one. :clap:

posted by  Coffin Type R

I presume you've driven one then. :mrgreen:

On a different topic, the car in your sig looks real nice. From the low resolution, I can make out what looks like a 4 cyl. DOHC intercooled turbo of some sort. I'm not familiar with the car. Is this the car you did the sub 9 sec 1/4 mile in? I presume from the east/west configuration its FWD or AWD?

posted by  Who?

Thanks!

Yep, definitely an advantage, however we don't get to see many of the American muscle cars that you guys are so fortunate to see every day. The sound of a well groomed and tuned V8 can be music to the ears.

posted by  Who?

True, true. WE each have our high points and low points.

posted by  Coffin Type R

God, amen to that.

posted by  Godlaus

if you have to ask us what kind of car you want 20 years from now when you are definetly winning the lottery, just give the money to charity and go hang yourself :smoke: then go watch the Slow and the Retarded again when you get to hell, :cussing:

posted by  HOOKSH

Your Message