learning to drift

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  learning to drift

Hi im very interested in drifting.I was wondering where could i leard to do this?I want it to be a safe place with instructors ect.Im not looking to get killed just for a rush. :driving:

posted by  redlineracer

Race track...;but first you have to learn how to drive. Also I believe some race tracks have an age limit and you must have your license. So stick to the games for now kid.

posted by  DSMer

hel i do it going down my road!

posted by  EzMustang

I might sound a bit stupid, but it's really just ignorance. what is drifting? how would one define drifting? is it what it sounds like, drifting down the road... yeah, I have no clue lol. enlightenment is appreciated (sarcasm is expected)
:doh:

posted by  VertigoPills

I dont know how to exactly define it but is the losing of traction of your back tires cause by extreme acceleration causing the car to lose control and you must do this while controling the car .I know it sounds stupid but thats the best way i could put it.LOL :banghead:

posted by  redlineracer

play need for speed underground, you'll see what it is.
redlineracer's definition is about the best way to describe it. it's actually pretty cool to see if you ever get the chance in real life, or at least videos of real people and not the video game. I know mtv has a special they repeat from time to time with some asian drifters who are just incredible. they have the head of the company rojo and some other dude and they showcase street bike tricks, drifting and a couple other things. If you ever get the chance to see that on tv, that will give you a great idea as to what drifting is.

posted by  mistertrip

:hi: Yeah its great to watch in person but very loud lol.I also saw that on mtv it was awsome.

posted by  redlineracer

If I was a drifter, I'd be offended by your idiotic remarks. "Play NFS Underground", "Watch MTV". What the hell? Its best you two shut up about the subject at hand because obviously none of you know two shits of a rats ass what you're talking about.

Drifting is a automotive sport that originated from Japan. People in their cars, usually RWD, would drive through dark mountains at night racing each other. They found it easier to take turns by sliding sideways through them, rather then slowing down and taking the corner as you would in daily driving. This sport was eventually brought to the racing circuit. Competitors in RWD cars drive arround figure 8 like tracks, usually made of cones, to see who can do the biggest, baddes, longest, and most daring drift.

A drift is the entire process and end result of taking a car from traveling straight to going arround a corner or bend while sliding the rear end of the car. There are many forms of drifts, many styles of drifts, and many ways to drift. Full throttled drifts, e-brake drift, clutch and brake drifts.... so on and so on. I don't know enough to explain the ABC order of it.

Theres no real way to "Learn" how to drift, as it is not a sport you can really learn. Practice of car control while sliding, clutch techniqiues, brake applications, while in a safe enviorment with the proper tires is really the only way you can master the art of drift.

For starters, you can go out and but a copy of "The Drift Bible" wich can be found ad BestBuy, SamGoody, or any local high market enterprise.

posted by  DSMer

i like to call it controlled oversteer

posted by  mazda6man

i like to call it.... pulling up the parking brake as your making a turn

posted by  EzMustang

i dont like the ebrake drift... i like the give the car a little extra throttle play around the corner way, better

posted by  mazda6man

ebrake drift..mmmmm i love it.
Good explanation DSMer!

posted by  Ztron

OK once again DSmer your getting a little frantic over a small issue.Thanks for the imput but why attack newbys?I know im still one and we were trying to give example of driffting that he could watch the basic concept.SO JUST CHILL.thanks for the background info ,but you tell it like i dont know.I have done lots of resaerch about is and also been in the cars at local saturday night "meet ups"while drifting and before you reply i Know you dont care.And dsmer lets not start another huge argument .We did enough of that in the other post LOL :hi:

BACK TO THE TOPIC THANK YOU

posted by  redlineracer

hey, redlineracer... can i ask you a question? ... be honest, do you watch initial d?

posted by  mazda6man

No there is not need for any argument. I don't care what kind of automotive "meet" you have been to. You still can't seem to grasp any knowledge rergarding cars. You were wrong, I don't need to argue with you, because you don't know much of anything. So you can walk back to that hole you like to call a home with your tail in between your legs and accept the fact that you were wrong. Or sit here and beat arround the fact that you are wrong with more insignificant information such as your whereabouts with OTHER(key word) peoples cars.

So wich on is it? Man or Mice?

posted by  DSMer

Drift=Sliding sideways into a turn. The simplest way I can explain it.

As for learning to drift there are some clubs to join, but it would cost alot of money. First you have to buy a suitable car for drifting, then modify and set it up for drifts and lastly you have to keep replacing car parts like tires, differentials and every now and again get it fixed because drifting alot can break you car down a heck of alot faster.

To all the kids out there go to college and get a good job, then you can do whatever you want with your life.

posted by  chichi

hmmmm... my car's suspension is so loose, I doubt I could drift.... even though my car is lower to the ground than most cars.

posted by  VertigoPills

yeh, you need a stiff suspension if your going to get any sliding... otherwise, youl just get body roll and grip due to the body roll

posted by  mazda6man

LOL I LOVE DSMer. Hes my hero here lol. Yeah easiest way to explain drifting is controlling the car when it has the least amount of control. In essence it is powersliding through corners. There are many ways to do this, FWD (front wheel drive in case you needed a hint) uses the ebrake to lose traction and control the rear tires. If your interested in techniques than look at drift411.com. I've been part of them for 2.5 years now and they are great.

Regarding learning how to drift i suggest you buy near bald rear tires from a local used tire dealer and start learning how to control the car at less speeds like 15-35 mph. Having a stiff suspension is even more key in a car than your hp output and expect to go through at least 3 sets of rear tires before you truly learn how to drift and let me tell you now you will crash. Its almost inevitbale with learning. Best place to learn is in a huge open parking lot and just get used to the friction point in your car. Practice just turning and finding that breaking point of friction and be able to cross it on a whim. After this i expect those near bald tires are done for so go get another pair. Now start setting up cones and practice simple 90 degree turns or apex turns (wide arc). Once you have this down the 180 should follow after another pair of tires are thrown out. The key to drifting is practice, practice, practice and sets of tires. Also just because drifting is all about style, doesnt mean that your car will be in best condition. Expect to clip curbs and break parts because it will happen. Drift Bible is a great visual source but nothing will ever replace practicing.

And by the way yes i am an actualy drifter (first on an s13 w/ sr20det and soon to be in a s14 ka24det)

posted by  MrBojangles

lol..... big words coming from a 16 year old "man".

posted by  Inygknok

Thats alot of talking from a foriegner like you. I'm not even 16. Damn you never cease to stay the hell out my business. Why don't you go do something usefull in Puerto Rico, or wherever the hell you are from. Rather than yap at me all your damn life. Make something of yourself. Shit you're grown ass man, go start a career.

posted by  DSMer

Can we both shadup and talk about whats important... like my post! lol. :laughing: :laughing: And just because someone is 16 or under doesnt mean anything... I turned 16 like 6 months ago and yet that doesnt mean i don't know what im talking about.

posted by  MrBojangles

:clap: TRUE TRUE :clap:

posted by  redlineracer

Wow, DMSer. I was very impressed by your definition. :> Thanks.

And, if anything, redlineracer, you jumped DMSer like you're trying to start a fight. Seriously. :/ I wasn't offended by what DMSer said-- he's pretty much right. MTV and NFS? Wtf.

posted by  Reddie

Although I agree with everything else he has said in this thread, I fail to understand why being a foriegner makes him stupid. Is there a problem with foriegn people? Last time I checked foriegn countries beat the USA in a lot of fields.

posted by  SNiPeRViRuS

I never said being a foriegner makes him stupid. Where would you get that from? I merely classified him as he did me. But only with more hatred behind it like, "You live in a country that does'nt even make cars" or "You're almost 20+ years old and you drive a shittier car than most 16 yr olds do". That kinda defamation.

Stupid does'nt work for him. He allready knows he lacks a credible education.

posted by  DSMer

Oh, okay, I misunderstood your post. And it is pretty obvious that he doesnt know what he is talking about anyways.

posted by  SNiPeRViRuS

Not really. He's proven himself from time to time. He just likes to rag on me. Iono but hes a big meanie to me cuz hes jealous of me and wants to be me. Haha..! :laughing:

posted by  DSMer

[][][][][

posted by  zest03

[/QUOTE][Wow, DMSer. I was very impressed by your definition. :> Thanks.

And, if anything, redlineracer, you jumped DMSer like you're trying to start a fight. Seriously. :/ I wasn't offended by what DMSer said-- he's pretty much right. MTV and NFS? Wtf.]

First of all dont start some more shit.Im glad you like DSMer's definition.SO stop bitching and answer the post and dont wine.If you want to wine go start another thread titled"I love bitching" Thank you for your time.

posted by  redlineracer

Aww is'nt that so cute. We got a JP asshole on our hands.(JP stands for junior pu**y). While I don't find it all that pleasing. Maybe you should keep your flaming banter to a minimum while you actually gain your CF balls. That or learn how to properly quote somone.

posted by  DSMer

i want to beat u at wat? being a little punk kid? umm, no thanks. u try to bully on other kids, ill bully u until u shut up. its not old news that u like to blabber on trying to insult people. as for my car, u only dislike it cuz u have a serious issue with me, but hey, i guess that makes u the immature one, eh?

as for education, ill be letting u know im an engineering honor student here at college, i would like to see u achieve something like that. actually, i would like u to achieve anything other than insulting people on some forums. ever noticed that its really pathetic when u insult people on a daily basis on forums?

nah, didnt think so. :laughing:

posted by  Inygknok

Yep, you caught me. I'm nothing a but a punk little kid. Dayum. I guess you got me. I guess now that I'm faced with a real bully(you I guess) I 'm supposed to shut up. I suppose if thats how the system works...

I've never achieved anything. I mean I'm only 17 and allready have half a college degree in Automotive Tech(Two years). Oh but thats nothing. I mean I only paid $1000's to go to school(everyone goes to school). Hmm I suppose when I graduate I'll and become a nothing like you said I would.

I could brag about how I have a degree that hundreds of thousands of other people also have a degree in, in order to feel special. Kinda like you do, only to hide the fact that I'm a mediocre person.

Yeah I'll go with that one Mr. I'm such a great achiever.

You're bullying seems to not work, you have nothing over me. Not even knowledge. Damn thats a shame. You're going to have to bring your A game to the table needle dick. Until then you can go piss into the wind. I'm sure you'll find that amusing. :laughing:

posted by  DSMer

...this is turing into a flame war... lets get back on the drifting topic eh?

posted by  mazda6man

Wow, way to use an abbreviation that know one has ever heard of and then follow it up with a definition. You sir, are the most ignorant piece of shit I have ever come across on these forums. DSMer is obviously skilled enough to answer 90% of the questions on these forums, if not more, and you decide to flame him for actually being knowledgeable about shit you can't even comprehend? "LIEK OMFG PLAY NFS OR WATCH MTV IT R0CKZ!!!!1111111one!!!!" Shut your face and sit down you little bitch, DSMer is obviously 10x as smart as you are about any subject. Any further flaming by you will be interpreted as per the fact that YOU CAN'T READ.

posted by  Confessions

I don't know whether the be offended, pleased, or just downright confused. No I'm not smart enough to answer 90% of questions, but I am pretty detailed in the performance and aftermarket aspects. I leave the true car guys to the engine problem sections. I'm not nearly old enough nor experienced enough with service tech to even contemplate that area. Only with time and years of experience will I hope to even be as great as some of the older gentleman here are.

posted by  DSMer

I guess you are speaking of tbaxleyjr, ChrisV, and vwhobo. Do you have any idea of my approx. age? :hi: Take a stab at that. :wink2: It would shock you all.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Oh no I meant you too Dodge. Especially you, being so young n all knowing as much as you know. I think you're in your 20's right?

posted by  DSMer

:laughing: If you want to know I'll tell you. It would shock the hell out of you.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Dammit Doge this is'nt a GUESSING GAME! Go ahead n say it.

posted by  DSMer

Haha, alright. I hope this doesn't change anything...

I'm just now turning 16 in feb.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Dodge, I should kick your lying ass. You've had your project car for several ammont of years. You wan't me be to believe you bought a damn Coronet at the age of 12 and 11?

posted by  DSMer

aghhem!

posted by  mazda6man

:hi: Yes.

Didn't buy it, it was given to me. Yup, I started it at 12. Second car I've built. Believe it. I've been into just about everything since a very young age. I've remodeled this house. The garage? It is now my room. I built my room, and put a pretty nice sized sundeck outside my room. Built me a 484 Square foot shop. I can do plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical (my grandpa is an electrical engineer and has been teaching me since about 7), Roofing, masonary, just about anything in construction. I'm a programmer with knowledge of 7 different languages, software designer, web designer, can repair just about anything. I'm not just into cars. I'm a pretty gift kid that does alot of everything. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Right. Dodge while I'm only able to believe what you tell me. I find it incredibly hard to concieve that you are 15 years of age. Especially I when have seen pictures of you in a truck; that appears there is a young 20 year old man. So you actually can't drive? Hell you don't even have your license! I'm sorry Dodge, as hard as I try to believe you; the logical side of my brain won't allow it.

posted by  DSMer

Yes, I can drive. In Georgia you can drive at 15. Believe it. :hi: I've been driving for 6 months. Could have been driving for 9 months now, but I wasnt to enthused as the normal teenager to drive as I had been working with cars for many years already, and a little illegal driving and never got caught. No one believes my age, they say, 18, minimum. You aren't the first.

Here you go.

http://www.designerstoolz.com/untitled.gif

posted by  DodgeRida67

Well I'll be stank on a monkeys ass. Damn, thats really impressive. You'll make a grand service tech one of these days. I supposed I'd be alot better with service tech had I persued that in full depth rather than performance tech. Man thats hell of nice experience you got under your belt...

posted by  DSMer

Thanks. I've had a good bit of experience, but I have along, long, long, long, long way to go. I've learned alot from this place.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I got a '95 Civic Hatchback Si. All black, black paint, and black tint. I recently bought Type R Suspension and 17" Black Enkei rims on low profile tires.

I usually dont speed much during the day, but at night a few buddies of mine meet up at a local drag racing strip behind warehouses. That's where I first learned to drift, taking very quick turns, braking and sliding down corners.

It's very fun and it's a real rush. But be careful and keep it in a safe enviroment, a friend of mine passed away in a car accident last week. The car didn't see them coming, pulled out and got hit, instantly killing the passenger and driver while drag racing after school.

Stay safe guys.

posted by  Black Hatch

Or controlled understeer. You basically take your car fast into a corner, and dunk the suspension, and spike the steering, causing your rear end to fly out. To get good at it .... go into a wide open space like a track or parking lot ... set up cones .... etc. Don't use real objects :thumbs:

posted by  EK_Eran_Ek

lol.. Setup spike strips.

posted by  Black Hatch

Ahhh... No. Watch Drift Bible to get a better understanding of drifting and to learn how to drift.

posted by  GreekWarrior

I've always been curious, does drifting make you go around a corner faster? Or does being in traction help more? Cuz I see pro races on TV, and nobody drifts. Is it just because of tire wear? What's happening?

posted by  Godlaus

No, grip is faster around corners with a few exceptions. :hi:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Being what?

posted by  Godlaus

being takumi as he hooks his wheels of his ae86 into the rain gutter and blows you away-lol :orglaugh:

posted by  fudge

Very tight hairpins for example.

posted by  GreekWarrior

or in the rain, like fudge said. Still looks hella cool.

Wouldn't that work? Having all the weight on the front tires and turning, then flooring it?

posted by  Godlaus

Yes on certain cars like an underpowered 86 but flooring it on a car with a lot of oversteer like a MR2 where the engine in the rear of the car you will end up facing the direction you came from. But like I said if you want a better understanding of drifting watch Drift Bible. You can get a trailer from this site http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/

posted by  GreekWarrior

uhhh. teehee. 56k. If it's over 1mb big, no go.

Honestly, I don't think you should be drifting a middle engine car, cuz once you lose it, you're gone, there's almost no way to recover it. That's why you never see any porsches or NSX's drifting. But, I'll try to get that vid, sounds cool. I'll try to start drifting once I get a rear-wheel drive car. (I currently drive a 4000lb 1990 ford taurus. Not exactly the best car for drifting.)

posted by  Godlaus

I'll have do disagree with both of you. If putting weight on the front tires then flooring it would cause a car to spin out, then theoretically FWD cars could drift. As we all know, almost always the majority of they weight is in the front. But as we all know FWD cars are incredibly hard to drift as they take a larger range of grip loss to loose control.

If you've ever slid in the snow or rain with a FWD car, you'd know that all you have to do is let off the gas and the natural weight and steering characteristics of the car will steer you wherever you need to go to avoid disaster or hitting a shopping cart ;). Anything under about 40-60MPH in a FWD car would be incredibly hard to drift ,via engine power or clutch kicking, simply due to the fact that FWD cars just have better high speed traction. Technically speaking the only real way to drift a FWD car by kicking out the clutch or flooring it is to find a way to modify the tranny to allow you to reverse in an unlimited speed and go through the track backwards. And I've yet to see that happen, and I doubt I ever will.

So no, overing reving a FWD car will not alow you to drift, although you may be able to get some good parallel motion if you try hard enough at a low enough speed on a slippery enough surface. Or if you're going in excess of 100MPH then try to drift, I garauntee you'll loose control then, even in an AWD car. Although I highly doubt any of you are crazy enough for that.

I do concur with GREEK warrior on the MR2 situation. If you were to rev the hell out of a MR2 and clutch kick it at the right point before entering a turn; a novice driver would find that they would only be doing 180's. In contrast, a personal friend of mind drifts an MR2 at cone events on the speedway. So I guess with practice anything is mildly plausible...?

posted by  DSMer

Ahh yes you do.NSX's make good drift cars with practice.

True DSMer, it's a different situation for different cars. I was a bit in the dark about drifting till I watched drift bible which answered some of my questions. And yeah with practice the MR2 can be an incredible drift machine.

And ahh by the way why did you type my name like GREEK warrior, if you don't mined me asking? :wink2:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Typo?

posted by  DSMer

i got the drift bible, keichi makes it looks so easy. btw dsm, greekpower was referring to the ae86 which is REAR wheel drive and he's correct cos keichi floors the ae86 to make it go sideways once he shifts the weight to the front.

also FWD cannot drift very well at all, you have to pull the handbrake a lot to make it slide - some people refer this as ass dragging :orglaugh: and forget about dynamic drifting in a ff car cos that'll never happen :laughing:

posted by  fudge

yep, ae86 is RWD... trust me, i know, i have one... and in my personal opinion... FWD cars dont drift... sure, they get sideways, but they cant power threw it... if the do power threw it they get unsidewaysafied (if you will)

posted by  mazda6man

yeah, I think it's pretty much impossible to drift in a front wheel drive (unless you want to do a 180 on a 2 way street, and even then, that's nto really drifting). Soo, case in point, don't even try drifting unless you have a rear wheel drive.

BTT

I know it's possible to drift a car that has a 40-60 (or something in the area of) power distribution, but what about a 50-50? Is it possible, or is it like the MR2, tricky to master but rewardful to those who do?

posted by  Godlaus

Finally someone who's watched drift bible. :mrgreen: :hi: And my names GreekWARRIOR :doh: not GreekPower. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Yes it is possible, haven't you ever seen Evo's or WRX's drift? It's pretty mad. :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

50-50 weight distribution is no prob... corollas are very close to that

posted by  mazda6man

I meant 50-50 power distribution to front and rear.

I thought WRX's and evos had a 55-45 power distribution?

posted by  Godlaus

I'm not sure they might be, but a car with 50-50 power distribution should be able to drift.

posted by  GreekWarrior

hm i actually have a question.....i only have an 04 camry...didnt really get to choose...but anyways, would this be considered drifting.....i was driving idk about 55-60mph and the road is somewhat of a hill....and there is a pretty sharp right turn at the bottom...so i decide not to slow down and when i turned my tires slid sideways and it was extremly loud....i never thought it had a name...hehheh but maybe that wasnt it....ok let me know ya experts!

posted by  vildana

probably not, i bet it was just some understeer...

posted by  mazda6man

Just curious, but aren't most porsche's rear engine mounted rather than mid?

And I also agree with mazda6man. I think that it is really hard to drift ff cars like the Camry. (I'm just a newb don't yell at me)

posted by  ToCkS

i dont consider FF cars drift capacle... the are pull the ebrake and slide capable, but i hardly consider that a true drift... and yeh, im prtty sure they porsches are RR and not MR... an nsx is mr because the trunks still in the rear... so MR on the porsche, it is in the very back so... RR

posted by  mazda6man

I'm pretty sure the way it is determined (if M or R) is by the placement of the engine in relation to the rear axel.

BTW, just curious. What other cars have a rear mounted engine other than Porsches?

posted by  ToCkS

VW beatles

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message