What classifies a car as a Spyder?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  What classifies a car as a Spyder?

Good question. There is nothing that actually qualifies a car to be call "Spyder". That being said it is most often used on sporty two-door, two-seat convertibles. The term has been used on cars from most all countries but was originally used by Porsche in the fifties.

So the short answer is yes, merely for vanity purposes.

posted by  vwhobo

I know very little about cars so if the question is completely off base feel free to tell me. But I've seen many cars that included the word spyder in their name and I was wondering is there a reason they are called this or is it for merely vanity purposes? Any response is helpful, thanks in advance.

posted by  WingedFire

Spyder and Roadsters are pretty much the same thing, correct me if im wrong

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Yeah, that's it, that's the explanation I was looking for.

posted by  vwhobo

Roadsters and spyders are the same thing, they are both 2 seaters and convertible. 4 seater convertible's are not considered are roadster or a spyder.

posted by  S2000Boy

So a '32 Ford roadster is a Spyder? I think not. Remember read, think, type.

posted by  vwhobo

You are so correct. If you read the thread from top to bottom you'll find that was partly my point.

As for US manufacturers using the name Spyder, Chevy did it in the 60's on the Corvair. That model is also the only one I know of that breaks the two seat only rule.

posted by  vwhobo

As far as the '32 Ford example, I always believed "Spyder" was more a European car term, recently used by the Asian car manufacturers as well. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any American models that carried "Spyder" after its name. There probably is one, but none that I can recall. I think "Roadster" was the same way originally. Porsche used it quite a lot, and I thought it too was mostly a European term. I'm open to any corrections.
:evil:

posted by  Machine

I never would have thought the Corvair would be selected to have a Spyder model...Interesting...I've got to look up a pic of one now...Thanks for the information...
:evil:

posted by  Machine

Your Message