AE86 questions

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  AE86 questions

Hello all,
I have some questions about the AE86 and was hoping someone with more knowlege could supply the answers.

1. I want to get into drifting and want to get the AE86 Hatchback. Now as I understand it, this car is also known as Hachiroku GT-S... Is this right?

2. Isn't an AE86 suppose to have AE86 in the VIN. Some cars that claim to be AE86 have have different numbers in the VIN. Are they lying? Here is an example.. the following link has AE88 in the VIN... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6445&item =4505732501&rd=1

3. What should I look for when purchasing an AE86 so that I inow I'm not being duped? The reason I want one is because I saw a video (Driftin Bible) and the driver said it was really fun to drive. I think of the cars that were listed, I can affort an AE86 and not the others. :)

Thanx for any help and happy thanx givin'!!

--Joe-El

posted by  Joe-El

the ae86 comes with the corolla GTS. that's should be all you need to look for.

posted by  no9t9

ok, here are a few tips:

1) stop watching so much initial d

2) the AE86 IS the corolla GT-S

3) stop watching so much freaking intial d

4) the car is known as the Hachi-roku because hachiroku means eighty-six in japanese.

5) freaking stop watching so much freaking initial d!

6) sometimes VIN numbers are messed up. my car is supposed to be ma70 and it has ma71 on the VIN. why? i have no idea, but i really dont tend to care about something so insignificant. as long as registration papers are all fine and everything matches, im happy.

7) argh, freaking stop freaking watching so freaking much freaking initial D!!!

8) dont listen to wat keiichi tsuchiya says on the dvd about the car, just get the car cuz u like it or u think its worth it. just listen to him on everything else :laughing:

9) STOP WATCHING INITIAL D FFS!!!!!!!

posted by  Inygknok

1) stop watching so much initial d
yeh,. it does rot your brain... rice will come of drifting due to that show
2) the AE86 IS the corolla GT-S
no its not... my corllas not gts and its an ae86... ae86 is the chasis code...
3) stop watching so much freaking intial d
yeah
4) the car is known as the Hachi-roku because hachiroku means eighty-six in japanese.
actually its just 8 6, hachi means 8, not 80
5) freaking stop watching so much freaking initial d!
again yes
6) sometimes VIN numbers are messed up. my car is supposed to be ma70 and it has ma71 on the VIN. why? i have no idea, but i really dont tend to care about something so insignificant. as long as registration papers are all fine and everything matches, im happy.
on corlllas, if the vin says ae86, its an sr5... if its a gts it says ae88
7) argh, freaking stop freaking watching so freaking much freaking initial D!!!
ok...
8) dont listen to wat keiichi tsuchiya says on the dvd about the car, just get the car cuz u like it or u think its worth it. just listen to him on everything else :laughing:
hes right about about the stuff that he says... hes a smart guy...

posted by  mazda6man

oh, and another thing... corollas are rediculously expensive nowadays... i saw a gts sell for 5000 stock... when i first got into the scene... 1500 with a few mods

posted by  mazda6man

i laugh at all the initial d fans who think its soo cool that they have to get the 86 themselves.
i agree that drifting is a very nice talent to have, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every has the right stuff to do it. money is always a factor nowadays and with tires, it could get a bit annoying.
also, i do agree that the 86 is a good car for starters. of course, it doesn't mean anything. its just light. period. the rest depends on the drivers skill/guts/everything else.

Initial D is bad for you. i watched part of it and thought it was rather amusing at some points.

posted by  kataxist

ae86s are allright cars but they're not that fast, I raced one in my pos CRX and tied it, so get one if you want a car thats about as fast as an 86 CRX DX.

posted by  Zalight

yeah, corollas are slow... the 4age doesnt even push 100ponies to the wheels... 4age does 120approx to the fly... not wheels

posted by  mazda6man

Yeah, and my car has 76 hp and 86 lbft at the fly, and I tied an 86 with exhaust and no back seats or spare (for weight reduction) well actually my front bumper was at the back of his quarter panel,

Thats why I love my light wieght little car!

posted by  Zalight

well, i think hes gone now... but corollas are a good topic... lets keep it going...

oh, andyone wanna buy mine? got stuff done to it... oh, and the motors shot... sellin for much cheaper due to that part

posted by  mazda6man

i thought u were gonna fix it?

posted by  Inygknok

i got the audi... so im sellin the corolla

posted by  mazda6man

I'm still here. Been reading it all and taking it all in. :banghead:
It has been very helpful.

Here is what I wanted from the AE86. A cheap yet reliable car to learn how to drift and have fun with. :thumbs: $4.000 is insane.

So with that in mind, what would you all recommend? I don't need it to be fast. As for price, I don't want to spend over $2,000.00. the lesser the beter :mrgreen:

Maybe after i learn some skills, I can buy a more expensive one. Keep in mind, i've only driven automatics, so this will be my first stick shift. Downshifting and stuff like that is all new to me.

posted by  Joe-El

if you could get ahold one... you should look into an 85-86 cressida... theyre rare, but theyre nice... in opinion anyways. you could look into the 240s... theyre fairly common...

for the cressy... they were made from 85- 88, but they were only 5speeds 85-86... heres a pic of one.
http://www.toyotacressida.com/files/pages/MX73/SideScrollMX73.jpg
beatutiful

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message