My EVO

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  My EVO

Hello all. I have around a $35,000 dollar budget to work with on a new car. I would like to get a used asian car but I dont know which one to get. I would then like to use the rest of the money to increase its performance and speed. What would you recomend for the car/speed thing. I dont care what car it is in particular or how it looks, I just want to have the fastest car for the money.
I heard that the EVO is a good car which is why I decided to call the thread My Evo.

posted by  Step Up

Is anyone here?

posted by  Step Up

Nope.

posted by  GreekWarrior

The Evo series are amazing cars I'm sure you could get and Evo 5 or 6 series with your budget and then tune it to your needs.

posted by  TopRPm

What can I tune to get the most power out of it? I found a local dealer selling an EVO for like 15k, so I will probably get that. Can you guys direct me to a site that I can buy stuff off of. Like superchargers and exhuasts and the like.

posted by  Step Up

Most people dont help people who havent introduced themselves yet... Ask a question, introduce yourself first. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Well my name is Alex. I am 26 and am looking to find a good car I can drive to work, but still be able to race with. I have a 35k budget, and I can purchase an EVO, Supra, or Ecipse from a local dealer for only 13k. Which one should I get and what website can I order things from. I would like a supercharger, and maybe some other performance upgrades.

posted by  Step Up

I don't really like superchargers, turbos are the way to go for me, get a turbo (ball bearing of course), get a lightweight flywheel and a better pressure plat, AEM cold air intake, HKS intercooler then spend the rest on tuning at a local dyno.

posted by  TopRPm

Don't forget about a full exhaust system, and if it's a large turbo, you may need to upgrade the fuel system as well.

posted by  abless

Omg :banghead:. This ****ing guy is rediculous. "Get a light-weight flywheel". Yeah, I'm sure thats number 1 on his list of things to get.

You have a few good cars within a $35,000 ticket price.

350Z
G35 Coupe
Subaru STi
Lancer Evo
Supra
300XZ
3000GT

Only problem with the other cars, aside from the Evo and STi, is that you loose those extra two doors. If passenger space is a priority on your list. Lancer Evo or Impreza STi is your way to go. As far as the upgrades go, I would consider buying the actual car first. Then come back for some further help...

If you need any stats on the Evo or STi, chech my "Import Buying Guide" thread located in the Asian imports section.

posted by  DSMer

Ok thanks Dsmer, and everyone else too. Should I just make another thread or post my question here after I get the car?

posted by  Step Up

Just post it here...
I will now be very happy to help you, but DSM has aready taken my choice: a Subaru Impreza WRX STi. You could get that for 30k and spend the rest on parts, but you really wont have to in my opinion, STi and SPT has done most everything for you, unless you want to go all out on it for more than 5k tho... :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Alright thanks. I just Dsmers guide and it is very impressive. After reading it I cannot choose between the 350z, the Sti, the Supra, or the EVO. I know you suggested the Sti, I just want to make sure I can get the fastest car(after tuning) for the money. If it helps, I can spring an extra 5k... But I dont think my bank likes being empty lol.

posted by  Step Up

All of the cars will be relatively quick in just about anything you compete them in. They will be within margins of seconds of each other. I'd go with the STi or Evo just for the simple fact that it holds 5 people. Go to a Mitsubishi dealership and Subaru dealership. Drive both the Evo and the STi. Pick the one you want based on how it drives. If you'd like go to a Nissan and drive a 350Z. As I've said before, these cars have unlimited ammounts of potential.

Pick either one and you can't go wrong. I'd highly suggest your drive them all and pick the one you like based on how it feels, looks, and conforms to your style. They can all be modified to an almost unbelievable extent. So test drive them.

posted by  DSMer

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/listings/vehicle_detail_prem?listing_id =11423692&search=f65400135758926e56d09134c360161c-136686961-11423692-dealer _referral_vehicle&zipcode=10956

I just found that. I know this is stupid but what is RWHP?? Because it says the car in there has 600+ RWHP.

posted by  Step Up

RWHP: Rear Wheel Horse Power
That looks pretty sweet, but I dunno.... A Supra for $5k to me sounds really low, let alone a suped up one... I would just go with a new STi. You know it will run, and that Supra sounds too good to be true, and so probly isnt. You can put the STi far above the edge, especially since it comes with 300 hp and 300 Lb/ft. :hi: But be sure to drive both the EVO and the STi just so you know you are buying the right car for you. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

ill make this simple, you cant go wrong with a STI or a EVO!

as for performance upgrades, you might wanna wait for the "professionals" to post about that. or better yet, you can search the web. try typing "performance upgrade for the specific car". :thumbs:

posted by  Ki2AY

no way that car is putting out 600 rwhp with just some simple tuning and the mods he listed. Also for the price there is no way anyone would sell a car with that kinda rwhp. Also some of his mods, like his headlights alone are a few hundred bucks at the cheapest, and more like a grand, so I wouldn't trust that guy worth anything. Finally if you are looking for a 'ricer' then the EVO is a good choice, as is the Sti which both come stock quite powerful, and are very easy to upgrade. Also Civics are nice, or you can look for another supra, which I feel is one of the best looking ricers out there. Although I also think a GSX (Mitsubishi) 2nd generation (1995-1999) is an incredibly sharp car, and also worth a look, as you can get them cheap, which wouldl eave lots of money for upgrades, or the VR4 3000GT which is a very good looking car as well. Keep us informed, and let me tell you one thing, I wish I had a 35k budget =P. I wouldn't be driving my stock V6 95 Firebird at least, haha.

posted by  Flame Roller

I love the firebird!! The old one though, from Knight Rider. Ok, yeah I guess you guys are right about that supra. I am going to check out both the Evo and the Sti. After that, I will wait for the professionals to come and give their input before making the purchase.

posted by  Step Up

I am not a professional? I am hurt...

posted by  StiMan

NO, I meant for you to post the upgrades and stuff. How could you not be a pro with the type of info you were giving me? I was just talking to Ki2AY.

posted by  Step Up

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=171046781&dealer_id=55241009&c ar_year=2003&make=MB&distance=any&max_price=&model=SL55AMG&advcd_on=n&end_y ear=2005&min_price=&first_record=151&certified=n&address=10956&search_type= used&advanced=n&start_year=1981&=&color=&cardist=1101

I just found that offer too. Should I forget the imports and get that? Is it fixable? Please post your opinions on this because right now I have an even more tough choice to make.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6338&item =4510590317&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Or even that one? I take it both are good. Or should I stick with the EVO and STI ??

posted by  Step Up

People?

posted by  Step Up

Dont go with the SL55. That thing must have a lotta damage to be below 100k let alone 40k.
The SL600 looks ok, but I would think the price wouldnt be that low. If I were you go with a STi. From what I can tell about you: you are a poor man. Sorry, but I am just guessing. The Benz is a richman's car, so you would be a poor man driving a richman's car, and that sucks. You will run out of money on maintanance and other things, go simple: get an STi or EVO. :thumbs: :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

lol,I guess you are right. I am not really "poor", I mean I am not rich rich. I am probably in uppermiddle class you could say. I guess you are right about the poor man in the richmans car. I think I will go with the STi. But I went to vishnu or something. And they have these stage upgrades, and the stage 2 upgrade for the Evolution has like 550-600 horespower, and like 500 torque. Try searching on google for it, I dont know if they are trust worthy.

posted by  Step Up

They are. I have seen Vishnu EVOs before. Good stuff! But you can do the same thing to an STi that you can to a EVO.

posted by  StiMan

Hey STi, I just tried out a Sti, OMFG it is amazing. I am probably going to get the Sti, i just need to try out the Evo.

posted by  Step Up

Shibby! I wish I could get one... :evil: But I am happy that you liked it! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Dude, did you see the other inventory that sl 600 guy had.
http://www.ambassadorautosales.com/inventory.htm

He has everything, just scroll down and read it. I don't think you can afford it but look at the cars for fun anyway.

posted by  Zalight

I can afford the SL600, just not most of the others lol.

posted by  Step Up

Jeez! Look at those cars! Damn!

posted by  StiMan

it depends on what your expecting.. the evo is a great car... it has good performance specs. stock... but i dont like how it looks sometimes.. you could get the 350z also or G35. or for cheaper get a S2000 and turbocharge it
:mrgreen:

posted by  import_nation

Or he could just get an EVO or STi for cheaper than those two cars! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Or I could get that SL600 and beat all the other cars.

posted by  Step Up

Evo 8 series is bette than WRX or if you can get a Supra **** em both

posted by  TopRPm

Yes better than a WRX, not an STi! Supras are not that good...

As to the Sl600: lest we forget Richman vs. poorman! Just get the STi you drove, eh? :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

I just have one question STiman, the STi is heavier and a little less powerful than the EVO, are you sure its the better choice?

And I was kidding about the SL600, even though I can afford it, it looks like it came out of my dogs ass. :orglaugh:

posted by  Step Up

Actually, the STi is more powerful than the Evo. It makes 300 hp & 300 tq, compared to 271 hp and 273 tq from the Evo. I'm not sure which one is heavier though.

The STi is a more street friendly car. The ride in the Evo is a little harsher, and the steering wheel is touchy. If you want pure performance and don't care much about comfort or driveability, go with the Evo. Otherwise, I would recommend the STi. What do you plan on doing with this car?

posted by  abless

I plan on using one of vishnus stage upgrades to get like 500 horsepower and 600 torque. I want to make these a beast! :hi:

posted by  Step Up

That is correct. The STi has more Hp and Tq than the Evo VIII. As to weight: I believe that the EVO is lighter, but you may wish to check that. Either way you have a 0-60 time of 4.9 secs in the STi, which is pretty damn quick no matter how heavy it is, and there isnt anything wrong with trimming off extra pounds yourself!

posted by  StiMan

Hey, do you guys think I will be able to beat an M5, or even an SL55 with the Vishnu Stage 3 engine thing for the STi??

posted by  Step Up

I dunno if Vishnu makes stuff for STis... do they?
To the M5 and SL55:
The last model M5: 0-60 in 4.8 secs, just .1 off of a stock STi (4.9)
SL55: 0-60 in 5 secs, so the STi would beat it stock
Really if anybody has anything for the STi, it could turn into something that could get low 4's and perhaps even upper 3's in the 0-60 department. :thumbs:

To Step Up: want to join the STi fanclub? :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

Vishnu as a whol section on the STi!! They can even get it to go 0-60 in under for seconds. nd if you dont mind I would like to join the club. And I am going to get the Sti because turns out, my friend bought an EVO last month.

posted by  Step Up

You make $30,000+ decisions based on what your friends buy? Not smart and unrealistic. Leads "What" to believe that there is some lying going on.

I'd rather a used C5 Corvette.

posted by  What

No you see, my friend and I are very close. We like spend a lot of time together and stuff. Most of the things we do are similar, so for once I wanted to get something more unique to me. Not to mention that I prefered the sti over the evo while drivng it anyways. And your name is kind of akward, where did you come up with it?

posted by  Step Up

Step Up: You are in! Please PM WeaponR to get a sig. I never new about Vishnu making stuff for the STi, I knew they had EVO stuff, but SWEEEET! Congrats about the STi! Have fun racing your friend!
To What: The STi can actually out accelerate some C5s (stock) so it is a good choice and would probably be cheaper. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Aiight man, thanks very much for letting me in!! And I will love the car. Did you check out vishnus site. It is mind boggling. Those Stis can pound the crap out of any M5 and even the SL55!!

posted by  Step Up

Yeah, it can out-accelerate some base C5's, but I doubt it would be cheaper. You could find a used Z06 (which would beat the STi) for around the price of a new STi. With Corvettes, you have so much more to work with than with the STi. Also, Corvettes are just cooler. You'll get much more respect in a Vette than in an Evo or an STi.

I'm just not into hotted-up econo-sedans.

posted by  What

I dont really know about that statement. I am sure it is true with older people, but in the younger crowd I believe that the STi would get more respect, but I really dont know.

What do you mean by that? You can make a STi as supped up as you want it to, just like a Vette, but it would be more economical due to the fact it has 4 doors and a decent trunk.

All in all: It just depends on what you like and dont like. I can understand your opinion, its my dad's also. Lol... :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Yeah its not like we are saying the Corvette is bad. And stop sending Pms like that. I will test whoever I want mr what.

posted by  Step Up

A famous quote comes to mind with this thread:
"Speed costs money. The question is: How fast can you afford to go?"

Honestly i dont believe the zo6 would be cheaper to work with. It is a uncommon car to heavily mod (compared to the STi) so its performance parts will be more expensive.

Honestly "What" i dont give a craps load of respect to vette's. Most of their owners are not true car enthusiasts, just guys w/ self confidence problems that want to have a "better" car than yours, very similiar to some porsche owners who say/act like "i own a porsche, i am better than u".

Step up i am not insulting or referring to your friend (who i dont know). It is just a very common attitude brought about with common sports cars. I do not intend to offend anyone with this post, i know there are vette and porshe enthusiasts out there.... just not very common.

As for the comment that the Vishnu STi can "pound" any M5 please get ur facts straight dude. I like you but ignorant things like that truly piss me off. ANY M5? What about the brand new 05 M5 that was unveiled at the Paris Auto show? The one with the V-10 whose pistons are perfectly perpendicular to give it nearly perfect engine balance and whose #'s rise over the 500 stock bench mark? Just wait until the bimmer team builds their GT race model for that... IMHO i dont think Vishnu would stand a chance in a lifetime vs that.

Now i know the argument about weight will come up and yeah it is an issue with the curb weight of 3900 lbs compared to the 3260-ish for the STi but still because of the sheer beauty of German engineering the M5 "souped up" or w/e the f**k u wanna call will easily have a weight reduction not to mention the motor is designed to handle 1000 hp +. One more note is redlines and tranny's... while the STi is limited to 7k on the 6 speed manual tranny (on the WRX STi WR1) the M5 redline is 8250 w/ a 7 speed tranny seq. shifting (F1 Style w/ no clutch meaning no response time between shifts for pushing in the clutch, moving gear shift and releasing clutch which in accel and drag times will be critical. In the M5 is just a flip of a lever).

I do believe that the M5 could easily make a much better car than the STi but it all relates to the quote at the begining of the page. The new M5 will easily cost double the STi plus all parts will be specific from BMW and their racing affiliates meaning prices are sky high. But still it remains superior. Just please don't say that some car will pound ANY of another car. Because no matter how fast you are there is always some one out there thats faster.

I do agree that the STi would be a good choice out of the selection. Although personally as a drift fanatic id choose the supra simply because of the rarity and the beauty of it, the STi will suit your purposes perfectly (drivability w/ performance).

-Once again i do not intend to offend anyone out there with this post-

posted by  MrBojangles

http://www.vishnutuning.com/stage.htm

and

http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer_stage_zero_2.htm

those can easily beat a stock M5.

However a modded M5 can beat them hands down. Also a Modded M5 can probably beat an SL65! I am an M5 fan as well.

posted by  Step Up

I understand that if there are limitations on money the M5 is blown out of the water. But that goes for any bimmer because nothing comes cheap from German engineers (ex. quality M3 turbo kit = 6k or more)

But what i did say is that wait until BMW racing makes their own GT race model of it.... or any independent race team makes a modded car... then its hp ratings will be insane.

posted by  MrBojangles

Okay, yeah I know that. But personally, I prefer Japenese, its soo much cheaper.

posted by  Step Up

Oooh is that so? You got a six-shot nitrous system eh? I've heard of 50 shot, 100, 150, 175. But damn 6-shot must be really GOOD. You've also got fuel injection on an Evo? A carbon fiber hood with "exlpulsion vent"(hood scoop), and a Trunk mounted subwoofer eh? You know for a supposed 750HP you list not even 1/4rth of the mods to get there. Maybe if you spent less time reading your rice magazine and pretended to own a car you could possibly learn about a real car performance instead of throwing arround meaningless terms.

I agree what, seems kinda unrealisitc.

If you claim to be the "STiMan" and you don't even know that, it can only beleive me to percieve you don't know half of what you think you know about the car you so desire.

While you hold a valid point, I think efficiency is a key here. Lets face it, Corvettes are not only coupes, but the gas mileage on those things are alot higher than your 4-banger econo box. If he can get good performance from a car that also has 4-doors, why not sacrafice the oh so "coolishness" for a car that will fit many forms of functionality. Corvettes are nice, but who wants a "used" car when they can afford a new one with similar performance? Your goals are all betwixed up. No one wants more hassle for the same price, it just does'nt make since. Not to mention things like insurance cost... those are just more reasons stacked up against the Vetter. You forget hes looking for an everyday driver. Most people who own Corvettes own other sedans, simply because the ammenties a Corvette offers would clash with alot of their life needs. Performance is good, but not over functionality.

This thread below is so redicuosly stupid I have to break it up....
MrBojangles
A famous quote comes to mind with this thread:
"Speed costs money. The question is: How fast can you afford to go?"

Honestly i dont believe the zo6 would be cheaper to work with. It is a uncommon car to heavily mod (compared to the STi) so its performance parts will be more expensive.
Is that so? The Corvette is an uncommon car to mod? Well the ignorance within that statement is thick, so thick to the point I can barley understand why you would even be drawn to that conclusion. Not only is the Corvette a common car to heavily mod, it will probably gain more HP from each mod. While a headers on a Vette may cost $600 a piece, they bring about an extra 60-80HP. $600 on a STi will not get you that kind of power.

Honestly "What" i dont give a craps load of respect to vette's. Most of their owners are not true car enthusiasts, just guys w/ self confidence problems that want to have a "better" car than yours, very similiar to some porsche owners who say/act like "i own a porsche, i am better than u".
I can stand idly by while I let you spread your own opinionated ignorance within the Import forums but this above is just redicuously stupid. Self confidence problems and better car than yours? Tell me, is'nt modifying your car the same thing as wanting a car better than somone elses? You can talk and express your lack of car knowledge all you want but don't knock somone elses car and call them insecure men.

Step up i am not insulting or referring to your friend (who i dont know). It is just a very common attitude brought about with common sports cars. I do not intend to offend anyone with this post, i know there are vette and porshe enthusiasts out there.... just not very common.
Is that so? Huh how do you know? Can you read minds? Do you happen to know everyone who owns a Corvette or a Porsche? Until you become a phsycologist or even somone whos knows two shits about anything relevant to a car, I don't find you anywhere close to qualified to give your shitty opinion on that subject.

As for the comment that the Vishnu STi can "pound" any M5 please get ur facts straight dude. I like you but ignorant things like that truly piss me off. ANY M5? What about the brand new 05 M5 that was unveiled at the Paris Auto show? The one with the V-10 whose pistons are perfectly perpendicular to give it nearly perfect engine balance and whose #'s rise over the 500 stock bench mark? Just wait until the bimmer team builds their GT race model for that... IMHO i dont think Vishnu would stand a chance in a lifetime vs that.
Again, that car has'nt even been road tested. So who are you to say a Vishnu STi can't competively beat an M5? Obviously he was referring to the now existing M5 as the newer one has'nt been road tested. For somone who can't stand ignorance you sure do spread alot of it.

Now i know the argument about weight will come up and yeah it is an issue with the curb weight of 3900 lbs compared to the 3260-ish for the STi but still because of the sheer beauty of German engineering the M5 "souped up" or w/e the f**k u wanna call will easily have a weight reduction not to mention the motor is designed to handle 1000 hp +. One more note is redlines and tranny's... while the STi is limited to 7k on the 6 speed manual tranny (on the WRX STi WR1) the M5 redline is 8250 w/ a 7 speed tranny seq. shifting (F1 Style w/ no clutch meaning no response time between shifts for pushing in the clutch, moving gear shift and releasing clutch which in accel and drag times will be critical. In the M5 is just a flip of a lever).
Ok so how about you explain to me why a car that redlines at 7000RPM with a 6-Speed tranny is any less better than a car with a 8250RPM sith a 7-Speed tranny? Cmon, I dare you.

You'd have just been better to shut your damn mouth in the first place. The ignorance spewing from within is just as bad as the rest of this going on arround here. Now this thread has went on far to long for anything to be resolved. N quite frankly I'm sick of hearing all you piss ants argue about something you could'nt prove if you had the book in front of you. If step up has'nt come to a conclusion of what he wants, then he can take his pantsy non independant ass on and find somone else whose willing to bottle feed him a scenario of a $30,000 car. I've done and listed all the information that is possible to help him, its up to him(NOT YOU PEOPLE) to decide what he wants.

posted by  DSMer

Well, Mr. Know it all, if you even bothered to look at my posts clearly, you would have known that I have already chosen the Sti. Although you bring certain valid points, since you have now appeared in this thread thrashing everything in your path, the thread will now become a flame zone. And who the hell are you to call me non independant? By the looks of it, you are the one who relies on bringing others down to feel secure. If anyone is non independant it is you. And About Stiman not knowing about the Sti's upgrades. So what? Do you know every little thing about the Dsmer? If you say yes then not only are you very arrogant, you are foolish as well. My advice to you is, calm down, actually think about that you are saying and if it will help anyone. This isnt a place where you can just come and bitch about what you think. If you think someone is lying about a car they own, then keep quiet. What good is it going to do you. Keep your opinions to yourself unless they are asked for. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, but no one likes it when you show it off.

posted by  Step Up

I hear that so much here. :screwy:

I must admit I do not know very much about after-market parts on STis. I know they are made, and alot of manufacterers make them, I just dont know names. I dont know everything about the car I want, but I joined this forum to learn more about it. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn more. Except some people feel the need to constantly prick others. I am done addressing that subject however. I have better things to do than start another one of those things that others before me have started. Its useless. Its like trying to break through a steel wall with a pencil. Similarly, its like trying to drill manners into a crazy two year old.

posted by  Step Up

Haha, what are you getting your clitorus in a rub about? Because somone expressed what they believe to be truth? Who are you to even tell me what to say and to do? What clought do you have? What food have you brung to the table? Right, just as I suspected. NONE

So until you start feeding ignorant mouths with knowledge, such as your own. I'd suggest YOU keep quite. I'll express whatever I feel the need to at any time I feel that need to. N you're have'nt got a god damn hope in the world of attempting to change that. Again, I did'nt invite myself to give open opinons, you started this thread do to your own lack of knowledge. Don't get mad when I point that out. You are non idependant. If you need the help of people whom you don't even know to purchase a $30,000 vehicle you might as well have some of these people hold your baby nuts while you urinate so you don't go all over yourself. I'm sure you'd like that huh?

posted by  DSMer

If you dont keep quiet then no one else will. And then we will go and talk about whatever the **** we want. Food to the table? There is no food dumbass. This isnt a clan or something with ranks. If you say you can give your opinion, then we can say whatever we want. If someone says they have a car, then let them. Obviously we let you spread your bullshit around, so why cant the rest of us? I wont go all over myself, I will spray you in your ****ing face. :fu:

posted by  Step Up

Haha I spread bullshit? Meh I'll give you that to some extent. Sometimes I find myself giving always information that I poorly described or did'nt put enough thought into it. But hey I'm only human. Just as you've been perpetrating your $30K car. Its ok you're only human.... at least I think so? Does dumbass still fit under the human category?
Under further inspection it does. Yep you are human. Or a really smart monkey. The latter of the two would'nt surprise me...

posted by  DSMer

Guys stop argueing... It has no real purpose in the end. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Its ok, I dont argue with people who have as much common sense as my fish. :laughing: Im done arguing. On a lighter note, my Sti should be here in a week.

posted by  Step Up

Your Message