Skyline GTR R34

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Skyline GTR R34

Well im looking for a 2000 (or 2002) Skyline GTR R34, and i've been looking for them in the internet, im welling to pay any price; and i have a question, maybe im such a newbie, but are skyline's with left sided positions ? or there's only the right ones ?, i just wanna know, bcuz i dont know if there's any penalty here in Houston for driving a car like that, and if it's possible to get a left sided, my question is, where ?

posted by  blazed

They are right hand drive.
And if you really want a r34, be prepared to pay almost 100k for it.
and if you do get an r34, me love you long time.
Check out this here motorex site. THey are the only registered importer of the Nissan Skyline. They import them and mod them to fit legal US specifications.
www.motorex.net/skyline (www.motorex.net) oh and BTW they discontinued the skyline in 01. ;D

posted by  b_DuB13

J.K. TECHNOLOGIES
3500 SWEET AIR ST, BALTIMORE, MD 21211
410-366-6332
410-366-7655

I saw a crash tested Skyline at their shop a couple years ago. They are also registered importers for the cars (they also do the Smart cars, as well as many others).

Here's a list of other registered importers:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/web_RI_list07142004.html

I've seen a couple on that list selling Skylines.

posted by  ChrisV

I see them on Japan-Partner often, but I don't know how legit their site is because they're insanely cheap.

http://www.japan-partner.com/auction/Nissan/cars-for-sale.html

posted by  ThirdeYe

they are insanely cheap because they are still in Japan, and need shipping and conversion done to come into this country. Add those costs, as well as a reasonable profit for the conversion business to stay in business, and you see that it' can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

posted by  ChrisV

Thnx both man i rlly appreciate it, so if i understand correctly i can make my skyline left handed ?

And 100k well, i mean i can pay that, although i think its too much, does anyone knows why a Skyline r34 its so expensive i mean it has the same performance that an Evo8 or im wrong, im srry if im, im a newbie 'bout
the skyline :S

posted by  blazed

That you are, and no, even if you could make the skyline left hand drive, why would you? it's legal to drive cars right hand side in the USA, dunno where you live though. And no, it doesn't have the same performance of an Evo 8, this has alttesa in it (see other post) the same thing that I believe is in the ferrari Enzo. Also, the Nissan skyline has a restrictor chip in it. all mass-produced japanese cars are restricted to 270 horses when the skyline has around 340. Also, all mass-produced cars are required to have a govenor that stops acceleration at 70mph. So, replace the ECU and undo the govenor, and you got a very fast car. it's very easy to tune the thing also. Visit http://www.exvitermini.com They make an R34 do 0-60 in 4 flat with street tires and a stock bottom end. it's not expensive, it's around 50 grand, but it's the bringing it over to the states that makes it so expensive, that's why I would rather spend 80 grand on a viper and twin-turbo it, rather than spend 120 grand on a Nissan skyline R34. (The TT Viper does 0-140 10 SECONDS FASTER than stock). it's worth it if you're a skyline avid addict, but otherwise, like me, I wouldn't spend the money on it.

posted by  Godlaus

That ladies and gentlemen was a good post. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Again thank you very much for all the info, it's like i said, im a newbie in the Skyline field, i have an 03 Evo8, i love the car, but i prefer the Skyline, the form and the lines make it so aggresive; the question about driving right handed, its because i drive a 88 Acura Integra right handed (manual transmision) a long time ago, and i could'n make the changes (1-2 2-3 etc etc) really fast, but i didn't care that time i mean, it wasn't a fast car, and it worries me that if i buy the Skyline and happens the same, i mean that is a fast car if you can't make the relations between the changes, what do you want a fast car for then?

Im just so calculative about everything i guess...

posted by  blazed

hahaha. Don't worry about the shift lag. Practice make perfect, you'll be fast over time.

posted by  Godlaus

????

The "restriction" to 280 hp was a gentleman's agreement, not an actual legal restriction. The Skyline was merely rated at a different rpm than max power was made at...and then underrated. It actually made more power, and there wasn't any restrictor on that power. They just said it made less...

As for the speed restrictors, the ones set at 70 mph(approx) are on heavy trucks and busses, not passenger cars. Passenger cars are required to have them set at 180kph (or 112 or so mph).

posted by  ChrisV

Hmmmm.... will need to get my facts straight. Oh well, will do research on google to try and back up m claim. Are you sure about that 70 mph thing though? I was pretty sure that was right.

posted by  Godlaus

If You Can Afford A Skyline Freaking Buy One.

posted by  b_DuB13

Do you think you should buy one over a TT Viper because of personal preference, or because you think it's faster?

posted by  Godlaus

It is true that it was only a Gentleman's agreement. A stock R34 was dynoed in the UK a couple of years ago, the results were 330hp. And by the way, the agreement is history now, now that Honda officially broke it by selling the Acura RL or the Honda Legend in Japan which is officially relased at 300hp in North American and in Japan. I know some of you are going to say "But didnt subaru release a 300hp WRX STi" Well the truth is that only the North American version is rated at 300 hp. In Japan it was rated at 276 like the skyline, Evolution. But now its all out and every man for himself. Japan better be ready for the HP wars, cause its coming. But keep in mind that the R34 dynoed in UK is the European version, the Japanese version may have physical limitations on it.

P.S. Damn!!! Blaze, what do you do? evo 8 and skyline? And in the states? where those are as expensive as hell?

posted by  aerith

hmmm... his name is blazed... lots of loose money
**cough*cough**drugdealer**cough*cough**

Im only kidding man :laughing:

posted by  Zalight

Evo VIII is only like 30k here in the US; this is so it can compete with STi (30K). Skyline is a different story.

posted by  StiMan

Who said the governor kicks in at 70mph? 80mph is like what eveyone goes on the freeway. I drove my dad's 94 honda accord at night on the freeway and i went to like 115mph. So anyways im kinda curious why they make a governor because that s*** just sucks. Is it for safty reasons or something.? Does anyone knw?

posted by  CarEXPERT

they put govenors on their cars so they can insrease their safety and comply to government regulations

posted by  Zalight

Not many cars can compete with a twin turbo viper.
So the obvious answer is that I would pick the skyline because of personal preference.
God, that car is heaven.
I'm pretty sure the "real" heaven is a race track and there are skylines everywhere.

I'm sure there are other cars there.
As long as there are is an excess number of R34s, I shall be content.
XD

posted by  b_DuB13

please excuse this double post.
As you can see, wireless internet is still at its infancy =/

posted by  b_DuB13

kinda hard for a little ford crown victoria to catch up to a topped out skyline or viper.

The limiter chip in JAPAN is 70 mph, not in america. In america, it's 115, which I suppose is for choppers to be able to catch up to.

posted by  Godlaus

kinda hard for you to shut up with the bullshit. can you just answer my f***ing question about the governor. When does the governor kick in and why??
:cussing:

posted by  CarEXPERT

We've answered it multiple times. In america based cars, it kicks in at 115mph. In japan, it kicks in at 70 mph (ChrisV might have something to say about this). There are limiters because, generally speaking, crashes at 115 mph are safer than crashes at 180 mph. Also, cops have to be able to catch up to speeders and run aways. Choppers can only do like 120. So, there's your answer.

posted by  Godlaus

THANKS BUT CAN YOU TAKE THE CHIP THING OUT. A LOT OF CARS CAN GO PAST 150. I SEEN A CORVETTE ON REAL TV RUNNING FROM THE COPS AND HE WAS GOING 160.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Turn off the caps first.

You can't really take it out, but you can get a new tachometer, and an aftermarket ECU. Simple as that.

*edit* HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! carexpert, you're averaging 50 posts a day!

posted by  Godlaus

yea i ask alot of questions. what is the record per day? i may have the record. But would that be legal because they dont want you to go fast.

posted by  CarEXPERT

legal what? On your posts? or what the governer limits you to? I honestly think that the chip should stop acceleration at 80, not 115, but, I will have to do some research to find out the reasoning behind it.

posted by  Godlaus

GOVERNER!! :screwy: Deffinaly not in the US because most people go 80+ on the freeway.
I never was in a car when the govenor goes on but when it goes on what happens? does the throttle plate close?

posted by  CarEXPERT

So what all do they have to change when they import Skylines? Just the governor chip?

posted by  Oomba

I think so because 70mph is very very slow. Why do people like skylines so much? Since 2f2f came out everybody is talking about skylines and everyone wants one. Its not i special i think. A 00' civic si is a special car.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Yes, definitely in the US. It is required equipment now, since the early '90's. The speeds varies between 99 to 120 mph, depending make and manufacturer.

What happens also depends on the make and manufacture of the car. Like my buddy's '98 Nissan 200sx, the fuel and ignition was restricted until the speed was dropped to 20 mph.

Now this isn't a "suggestion", but if you want to find out what happens, try it yourself. Just do it away from other people, because there is very high chance the car will eat pavement or crash, however you want to word it.

posted by  Coffin Type R

WHAT??????????????

No, hype behind skylihnes was out way before 2f2f, you just may not have heard about it until 2f2f. The skyline is a very easy engine to make faster, and it has a system called the ATTESSA in it, moving power to different wheels to corner and get out of slids easily.
Visit www.exvitermini.com
Then you'll realize why there's such a hype behind them.

The 00 civic Si is not a special car. it's a family car.

For my old car (1990 taurus) the governor stopped acceleration at 85, at 3000 RPMs.

posted by  Godlaus

Well, I could be wrong the bottom-end the speed range. But real quick how high did the speedometer go on the your Ford? The reason I ask this is because the car drove before my supra(R.I.P), was a 1993 Taurus and it could due above 85mph, but the speedometer stopped at 85 mph. I know because it kept me out of being smashed between two sedans(long story)

posted by  Coffin Type R

00' civic si is not a family car you dumbass. It has 2 doors and si is sport inspired so its not a family car.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Honda Civic Si is just a sport compact car, that I personally believe that isn't worth the sport name, because the numbers, i.e. Hp, torque, 0-60mph, 0-100 mph, are not that impressive. Now the Skyline is more worthy because of the numbers it puts up.

posted by  Coffin Type R

What the hell are you talking about... I didn't even mention speed in my sentence. It seems like you decided a statement you wanted to say before hand then put on a blindfold and clicked around until you chose reply to something. Then as a result my quote got randomly chosen for your random statement

Please enlighten me with what you were trying to say

posted by  Zalight

Are you sick or something? Comparing a civic to a skyline? Of course the skyline deserves the sport name, its designed to be a japanese monster, while the civic si is a sportier take on a economically viable car. Its not supposed to be very fast, its aimed at the younger audience where people buy for looks, not for performance. (even though the SI has a bit of potential for modding) Its not fair comparing a skyline to a civic its like comparing a F-18 fighter jet to a 747 in speed.

posted by  aerith

CarExpert your post per day are 43.88. Please stop post whoring.

posted by  StiMan

I have to agree with aerith, the Civic SI is a performance vehicle for those who can't afford true performance, but thats the case with most of the cars in the sport compact car movement. A kid can buy a 20,000 dollar civic si and then slowly mod it while using it as there daily driver.

But you have to admit the Civic Typr R is a pretty sick car, not Skyline sick but still badass.

posted by  Zalight

I guess you are right. I just don't like Hondas, personnal perfence. I like the rx7, 300zx, and supras.

posted by  Coffin Type R

Your wasting thread space, i already know i have 50+posts per day. My posts are on the subject of cars and engines so thats not "post whoring". This post of yours is just wasting space and making me mad.

I like the 99-00' civic si because they look nice and you dont have to have that much money to buy one. Modding it is pretty easy too and wouldnt it be nice to have a civic that can beat all the other competitions? Its a pretty light car and if you put enough money into it, it can be pretty fast. I'm poor so i cant afford skylines and supras etc. Not only they are expensive be hella hard to find.
Does anyone like the 2002+ si? They are so f***king ugly but they have the new i-vtec system. Has anyone swapped a K-series into a civic si or honda? I heard everyones doing it because of the huge horespower and the i-vtec.

posted by  CarEXPERT

OK. Lets set a few things straight.

I am reasonably confident that the R34 Skyline GTR did not come out in a 'european' version. I am not aware of them being sold new outside of Japan with the exception of special orders and New Zealand where only the Series II* R34 was sold. The R34 GTR come in a standard, V-Spec and V-Spec II version not counting the ultra expensive limited edition Z-Tune.

There is no restrictor chip or governer. There is a speed cut built in to the factory ECU that operates at approximately 180 km/h. To remove the speed cut, there is a single wire going to one of the pins on the ECU connector that is cut. There is plenty of web sites that can give details on how to do this. Other options are to install an RSM which removes the speed cut. That is how mine is done. The previous owner of my R34 GTt (Bought new in New Zealand, not a Jap import) had clocked 242km/h in it according to the speed peak hold on the RSM when I bought it.

The fuel cut is achieved by cutting back on the spark. Cutting back on the fuel on boost and advanced timing could result in detonation in the engine (accompanied by a huge detonation in the wallet :mrgreen: )

The standard speedo is a 180km/h speedo. A 320 km/h Nismo replacement is also available.

The factory ECU is good to about 380 hp (? not confirmed, heresay only) along with injector/fuel pump/exhaust mods. After that its a custom ECU.

The 206 kw/276 hp rating is a gentlemans agreement only, that most of the Japanese manufacturers have abandoned.

*If you want to pick the difference between them visually, they are:

Series I (1998 to 2000)
GTR/GTt Orange front and side indicators
GTR/GTt Instruments have a black background

Series II (2000 to 2002)
GTR/GTt Clear front and side indicators
GTt Different front bumber bar, grill and different shaped indicators
GTR/GTt Instruments have a silver background
GTR/GTt Additional silver leather work on the steering wheel and gear knob.
GTt The colour of the factory wheels is slightly darker. (Not sure about GTR)
GTt Cayman Blue paint job available. (The colour I have) Its very similar to the Bayside Blue of the GTR's.

I'm not familiar with all the differences between the Stock GTR and the V-Spec models. You would need a GTR enthusiast to answer that.

Trivia: There was a series I and II in nearly all of the Skyline models from C210 onwards. (C210, R30, R31, R32, R33, R34, V35). Even the new V35 appears to have changed its lineup and has a different front bumber bar. Would be due for a change.

posted by  Who?

Shut up you pot smoking ricer boy. :sleep: You have to spend a lot of money on a :laughing: civic to beat a stock GTR. :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Nice, I take it you're into skylines too? As am I. :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Actually, i was agreeing with you, I just forgot to put the smiley at the end, I was putting in an example. Government regulations, like being able to ctach up with cars, and safety like you said.

Good post, 'who?'.

posted by  Godlaus

OHHHH

I get it, crown victoria as in cop cars...

Sorry I didn't mean to go crazy. :thumbs:

posted by  Zalight

You like the Pintara? :wink2:

posted by  Wally

come on now, but an R32, like the one for 20 grand on motorex.com. if you are willing to pay alot, get the R32 and pay the money for it to go fast. if all youre after is looks and the name, dont buy a skyline, let someone that will use it buy it

posted by  darkhorse

Blazed, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but I know of a site that the guys converted their skylines to left-hand drive. I emailed them and he told me how they did it. Go to www.toprpm.com and check it out.

posted by  tha_yen

there will be left-hand drive skylines coming out in 2007, they will be bringin them here in 2007 :2cents:

posted by  gtr_man

i know where to get a few skylines

what color are looking for

posted by  gtr_man

That's a concept car, and might not even make it's deadline.

posted by  Godlaus

Ya... sure ya do.

posted by  StiMan

Throw in some 959's for me while you're at it

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Your Message