Please explain...

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Please explain...

Can anyone explain to me the way a rotary engine works? I've always been intrigued by the concept, but never fully understood it. Any explanation or site links or anything at all would be apprreciated! Thanks! :D

posted by  ferrarichika

http//science.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

posted by  snoopewite

i gatta say, the wankle is probably... well, IS my favorite, it works out so well

posted by  mazda6man

Well... That explains everything.

Good call on the site Snoope. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

Why thank you vwhobo )

posted by  snoopewite

Wow. That is truly amazing and seems like a great engine. I mean, it has less moving parts. But why don't they use them more often? It's only been used in the Rx-7 and now the Rx-8, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. But it seems like it would save time and money on repairs with fewer things that could go wrong. Thank you so much for the help!

posted by  ferrarichika

The rotary engine has been used in several cars and even a few motorcycles over the years. Unfortunately it's difficult to seal the rotors so reliability has been an issue, but continues to get better with ongoing technical updates.

They are also expensive to build due to the complex casting and machining processes involved. High maintenance costs are also a problem due to the fact that few people know how to work on them and when parts are unservicable they're more likely to need replacement instead of repair.

posted by  vwhobo

Amen to all that- my old team went through 13 rotaries in one of our RX-7...I told them NOS was a bad idea...
:evil:

posted by  Machine

Is that anything like "naws"? ;)

posted by  vwhobo

Well, we call it NOS in Chicago...But I guess since I'm down here in Phoenix I can call it NAWS instead...Either way, the pronunciation and the chemical are bad...
:evil:

posted by  Machine

Your Message