Evo

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Evo

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/images/products/fg-gbcv-bt_250.jpg 30 bucks for that and you have adjustable boost :)

As for performance.

The evo turbo is a TD05HR-16G6-9.8T which isn't very big. On the other hand the STi 2004 model has a T22 ( Think thats what they call them) which is a pretty good size turbo for a standard car.

So I don't think a evo8 would out muscle a STi. STi is heavier but has more power. As for adjustable boost from factory. Thats news to me and 18psi, that news to me again. I think you'll find its more like 12psi like the STi. 18psi and 271hp is pretty lame. Sr20det @ 10psi can put out 250hp.

You can have a small turbo running 18psi, yet a larger turbo running 12psi will make more power.

EVO stats

EVO 8
Engine Type 2.0L I-4 Intercooled Turbo
Engine Code 4G63
Valve Train DOHC 16-valve
Displacement (cu.in./cc) 121.9 / 1997
Bore x Stroke (in.) 3.35 X 3.46
Compression Ratio 8.8:1
Horsepower @ RPM (BHP) 271 @ 6500
Torque @ RPM (lbs-ft) 273 @ 3500
Engine Block Cast Iron
Cylinder Heads Aluminum
Redline RPM 7000
Valve Cover Magnesium
Fuel System ECI-MULTI electronic fuel injection
Turbocharger Type TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (Twin Scroll Turbine)
Huge front mount intercooler
All-Wheel Drive with 50/50 viscous coupled, belevel gear center differential and rear limited-slip differential.
Transmission(Syncho) 5-speed Manual
Macpherson Strut with Inverted Shock absorber, forged aluminum lower control arms, stabilizer bar, front strut tower brace.
High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
Front BREMBO™ Ventilated Disc, 4-piston caliper
Front Brake Diameter (in/mm) 12.6" / 320
Rear BREMBO™ Ventilated Disc, 2-pistion caliper
Rear Brake Diameter (in/mm) 11.8" / 300
ENKEIĀ® lightweight one-piece aluminum alloy rims
Tire Size P235/45 R17 93W Yokohama™ ADVANĀ® high-grip tires

Vs STi Stats

2004 Subaru WRX STi Specs:
300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
Full-time All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
Suretrac viscous limited slip front differential
4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted struts
6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
Front bumper corner spoilers, rear trunk spoiler, STi side ground effects
High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
17-inch BBS aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45 R17 summer radials
Subaru All-Wheel Driving System
Front seat side-impact air bags (SRS)*
Brembo braking system with 4-wheel disks
Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)

posted by  57ock

Both great cars

posted by  57ock

so what does everyone think about the Evo8? i believe that one day i will own the beautiful vehicle :D

posted by  vwgurl

I think it's more evidence that here in the States we're finally getting some of Japans better automotive technology, and that we're going to see US vehicle line-ups grow...It's about time...Personally, I like the STi better, but the EVO is no slouch...
:evil:

posted by  Machine

seen a few evo7 getting around. Cool cars

posted by  57ock

i really like the evo8, i think that mitsubishi couldn't have done much better with the design. the evo8 could out-muscle the sti anyday, especially because it runs about 18psi stock, which is adjustable, whereas the sti runs about 12psi, and it's not adjustable.

posted by  drgnfyre

i love it, its really "stylin" especially with that spoiler

posted by  mazda6man

I'm not even speaking about which vehicle could beat the other...I think it'd be pretty even and a good battle...My only reason for saying I like the STi better is because if you parked 2 next to each other and told me to pick one I'd take the Subaru...I respect the EVO's capabilities, the STi is just more appealing to me...
:evil:

posted by  Machine

57ock raised a lot of good points, that until previously i was unaware of. but, in the end, both of them are very respectable imports. if i had to choose, i would still go with the evo.

posted by  drgnfyre

id take the evo over sti, although i would get a front grill conversion to the evo 7 one, i think it looks dumb with the little bit in the middle, looks like a holden.

posted by  DeFecTeD

its a awsome car, 271 hp and 0-60 in 5.3 sec and can hadle better than the 350 z and the s2000, i want one so bad and its better than the sti by a little.

posted by  S2000Boy

Sorry kids, but ya just can't fuck with this:

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/impreza/gallery/img/ga_main1.jpg

Or the O.G.-
http://tamagoya.ne.jp/driver/img/wrx-sti.jpg

Goodnight.

-Josh

posted by  spirited driver

I don't know, I don't like how the newest Impreza looks like.I think Subaru should've stayed with the round headlights instead of the new kind of blocky ones.Here's a pic of the one I like.

posted by  vwmaniac

yeah vwmaniac my dad and I test drove an '03 WRX wagon and that was really cool....FAST. but i must admit I do like the newer design better.

posted by  SuperJew

Well,all people have different tastes.So I can't argue with you on that one.It's your opinion.

posted by  vwmaniac

I'm sorry, but the STi is just so much better to me. And the round headlights were pretty flaming if you ask me. vwmaniac, of course that one is the one you like, it's all tuned and got the body kit on it, so of course it looks better. The new STi wins, hands down.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

I didn't mean to show this Impreza bacause of how it looks,I just posted it because it was the first one with the round headlights that popped up on the search engine.

posted by  vwmaniac

Well I guess that's a logical response, but I was just "adding my two cents" as they say.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

The 1G Imprezas will always be the best looking IMHO... I just think the newer ones are too, um, bulgy. And the headlights look like they're from a damn Neon. :)

-Josh

Not only have I "f'd" this, but I've showered and sent it home!! Next.

posted by  BavarianWheels

You're gonna have to be more specific there BW.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

Um...it's pretty self-explanatory...at least I don't know how to put it more clear.

:idea: How 'bout..."Been there, done that." :?: :?:

Well, do you mean you have driven both and liked the Evo better or what? Thats what im asking.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

no hes ran on the street against a WRX and smoked it.

posted by  SuperJew

A WRX or a WRX STi? Big difference I'm sure you're aware of.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

Heheh, the Impreza is in a whole 'nother league that you can't touch even if you raced some Impreza L driven by a 16 year old girl and won. And dreaming about owning an M5 doesn't count. You and VWhobo need a hug.

-Josh

Why the do you bring my name in here little man. Or are you saying you're the 16 year old girl who lost. Make yourself clear. Or better yet, go away.

posted by  vwhobo

Little man? Well, better to be little than old I guess. And be married to a woman with a faulty uterus... Look, I'm not the one here spewing one about how I raced this car and that car. Who gives a crap, when racing there are so many variables that it's irrelevant to discuss it. Like I said, for all we know he could've been racing a 16 year old pregnant girl. I don't know. And neither do you. Besides Hobo, all I see you post is cranky responses to every member's questions, talking just as much crap as me. The difference is I'm not over 40. You know there are cures for E.D., but posting your crap isn't one of them.

-Josh

There is also a cure for stupidity, but you haven't discovered it yet. If you're envious of the fact that I've done much more in my life than you have, that's your problem, not mine.

If all you see is "cranky responses" then you're only reading what you choose to. So far you've posted nothing but crap and hung shit on other people. You said yourself you're waiting for someone to say something about Japanese cars worth talking about. Why don't you take that first step, or is it easier to be a whiner?

posted by  vwhobo

Well, actually, I frequent other forums that are much larger and have much more knowledgeable people, but this forum is just to blow off steam. However, I do think it's funny how little these people really do know. Every single question I've seen asked here, aside from one asking opinions, has an answer just waiting on the other side of a good google search. As far as the shit talking, I guess I just find it funny and amusing, and you seem to be the only one who spits it back. En guarde!

-Josh

so why are you still a part of this forum?

posted by  SuperJew

oops....thats the product of a full days homework on my head.

posted by  SuperJew

Top end...all about top end for me. My car cannot take a whole lot off the line as it is an "eta" engine, but the BMW top end is hard to beat!!

It was a freeway encounter a couple of weeks ago. Don't know what exactly it was...but was the ugly blue with the hood scoop and big ugly off road driving lights...as I got a good long look at them in my rearview mirror...haha...flash, flash, flash...

Well, now that sounds more civilized. What model BMW do you own??

-Josh

1988 - 528e...only mod is a stainless steel exhaust sys. Rest is stock.

Right on- yeah, that is a complete opposite to the no-top-end WRX. I would think an STi would be a different story though.

-Josh

...among two others. A 1987 325 and a 1997 740i. But the 5 is my daily driver.

Personal experience, the STi top end is handicap by its 4wd. They maybe great off the line, but they start runing out of puff pretty quick. Its a 2ltr motor with a smallish VF turbo. Can't expect it to pull hard at high speed.

Right back at you :)

posted by  57ock

Heh, you speak so soon- the STi has a 2.5l, not a 2.0... ;)

-Josh

http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/specifications.asp?item=23196

Engine
Type Turbocharged, horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder, 16 valve, multi-point injected DOHC with AVCS
Fuel tank capacity litres 60
Fuel system Multi-point sequential injection
Displacement l/cc 2.0/1994
Compression ratio 8.0:1
Bore x stroke mm 92.0 x 75.0
Min. Fuel octane rating requirement RON ULP 98

2ltr!! Same as the Japanese versionZ

RS is 2.5ltr

posted by  57ock

While I certainly don't want to be the one to defend spirited driver, it might interest you to know that cars are sold all around the world, not just in Australia. You are absolutely correct in stating the Aussie and Jap version of the STI have a 2.0L engine but the US spec version indeed has a 2.5L.

posted by  vwhobo

That I didnt know

posted by  57ock

Very often cars that are imported to this country come with the largest engine available in their home country. Sometimes even a US specific engine. Alot of it has to do with the mentality that a smaller engine is cheap instead of looking at them as high tech. Some of it also has to do with the generally greater distances between cities (Oz being an exception) and the relatively low price of gas.

posted by  vwhobo

is that kinda like how the supra here has more hp than the japanese supra? ...just a question

posted by  mazda6man

I don't know that to be a fact but... Japanese market cars have a horsepower limit imposed upon them. Many cars sold there actually produce more power than advertised.

posted by  vwhobo

is that theyre little way of getting around that hp limit or something?

posted by  mazda6man

You're pretty quick. Time to stop riding the short bus. :D

posted by  vwhobo

right on

posted by  mazda6man

u total idiot, go hang out in these better forums then, theres no gays here but im sure there are where you chat if your so excited about them.

posted by  stringer001

Well I don't think that is much of a reason to be an ass like that. He has pretty extensive knowledge about cars if you would let him speak without calling him a "total idiot".

posted by  Heat_Seeker

If you want to look for gays on Nasioc.com, then go ahead. I've been there and seen spirited driver there too. Thats probably not the only forum he's in. You go check out Nasioc and let me know if you find any "gays". BTW, good luck searching through nearly 44,000 members buddy.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

well i just dont like that guy, he gives me the creeps.

posted by  stringer001

I haven't found one post of his that has any significant knowledge other than..."you can't f'k with this..." wrt a Subaru...A Subaru Brat with a face lift... :D :D :D

Maybe I should have been more specific. You have to know him and talk to him about cars and stuff and believe me, he knows his stuff.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

He must have gone out of his way while in this forum to appear otherwise. I agree 100% with Bav, although I think his most memorable quote was "cram it up your ass Chachi". Intelligent and knowledgeable indeed.

posted by  vwhobo

Not sure about Australia, but the NEW STi has a 2.5l motor in America- http://www.subaru.com/servlet/showroom?track=topnav_s&command=overview&mode l=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI_SEDAN

Oh, and thanks for the kind words vwhobo... :rolleyes:

-Josh

Oh my gosh, stringer, Bavarian, vwhobo, attacking the man behind his back. Oh well, you can't please everyone... And I thought the "chachi" comment was pretty memorable too hobo ;)

-Josh

"behind his back"
?!?!?!
tha frig?

you are the one that decides whether or not to check the forum, not the members here
no one can help it if you dissapear for a while and don't show up till later

posted by  asa67_stang

yeah how is it possible to talk behind someones back on a forum... :? :rolleyes:

posted by  SuperJew

Damn guys, time to calm down- I think you've been spending too much time on the intardweb... IT WAS FUCKING SARCASM!

-Josh

Why is it always the fool who's most excited that tells other people to calm down. As for anyone spending to much time online, you seem to be the only one known to frequent other forums and have groupies who follow you. It is documented. Have a nice day. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

Sometimes the only way to get through to people is to use the trusty caps lock key... Heh, and just because someone doesn't give the almighty hobo the great handjobs doesn't mean they're a groupie. All you do is bitch and moan and put other people down for what they say, all the while trying to act as if it's vwhobo's world and we all just live in it. I don't mind admitting that I talk some smack here and there. You on the other hand... time to get real. I'm done with you.

-Josh

Works for me homie, see ya.

posted by  vwhobo

want to know which is better? easy...EVO8 got 2.0 liter and WRX sti got 2.5 so...WRX sti won! but i like evo better ha ha

posted by  BigBadBrat

I have to say that is the most uninformed response I have ever heard in my entire life. If you think that only the size of the engine matters to see which is better, then man you need to do some research and come back when you can say something intelligent.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

Great reply Heat_seeker, the STI has more power for not too much more $$$ Even just for the sound of the engine, when it roars the STI is kicking butt. But the Evo is still a really nice car.

posted by  phimar77

I agree 100% with that. STi is, and always will be, very high on my list of fav cars.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

Ok, now I get to have a little fun. Consider this. If engine size has anything to do with how fast a car goes, then a Geo Metro (3 Cylinder) should get it's ass whooped by a Corvette (8 cylinder). Obviously, it would. Now, If a Geo Metro has a 3 Cylinder and a crotch rocket has a 2 Cylinder, the Geo should by your standards win. however, the Geo also get it's ass whooped by this. So, power-to-weight matters more than engine size. however, engine size does help sometimes.

posted by  Satty101

Please read through before you type.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

::EDIT:: Worthless post. corection made and all is good...for now..MWHAHAHAHAHA *throws smoke ball on ground* *evil laugh* *smoke disapears* *stands up* DAMNIT! It never works!

posted by  Satty101

I did, you just posted too fast. I didn't read over it before I hit submit. Mistake on my part.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

soo bad he cant senor satty

posted by  SuperJew

corection made. Funny one too.

posted by  Satty101

Evo vs. Sti, a very common forum question. They both have their good point, its just preference, you cannot say which one is better. The Sti is better for everyday driving, and has 300hp compared to 271hp but the turbo is larger, takes longer to spool up. The evo having a smaller twin scroll turbo spools up faster. The evo handles better and has better acceleration and stoping distance, because of the weight to power ratio. But the Sti, has an great engine, its larger, and has large list of aftermarket parts. Basically the Evo is an pure sports car, and the sti is more civilized. Both are AWD and participate in the WRC. But the J-spec Evo is another thing, with 300hp and the Super AYC, the J-spec evo is the clear winner. Even though i am an EVO maniac, i still respect the STI, they are both admirable cars and eternal rivals. Its just personal preference.

posted by  fury604

i think u got the two cars confused, the EVO is the better daily driver as it has a smoother ride, smooth acceleration, smooth handling that other cars drool over, and is just plain smooth . the STI is a little less forgiving with less linear acceleration (once that turbo spools look out) , a pretty stiff ride, a six speed tranny that grabs you out of your seat, plus no radio. I mean look at it this way which car would you be more likely to take off road? with the FMIC and how low the car sits the EVO is pretty much stuck on the road, as opposed to the TMIC on the STI and the 6+ inches of ground clearance...i think that would make it more a "sports" (well the sport these cars were designed for anyways) car as opposed to a daily driver.

posted by  VrrmPshh

the evo WILL out perform a STi.. round a track, 0-60 woteva.. it has a wider power band, it develops nearly all its torque from as low as 3500rpm, where as the subaru has v little to offer below 5500rpm.. the evo has AYC and a better front centre diff, stiffer suspension/anti-roll bars, a stiffer chassis and an much better placed/faster gear change.. the subaru has the benifits of a better ride quality for day to day use and a much nicer/better built interior... if u want a daily car buy a STi, but if u want something to throw round a track at weekends and don't mind small niggles wiv the interior buy an evo.. also note that in the japanese domestic market both cars have a 2.0 liter turbo engine.. but running on japanese fuel the subaru has 265 bhp and the evo has closer to 300 bhp.. the only reason theres a T25 2.5 liter flat 4 in the american domestic market is coz subaru realised that american fuel was not producing sufficient power in thier cars.. now lets look at rally car specifications.. their not allowed engines bigger than 2.0 litres.. so has the subaru not lost its main principal? to be a road going rally car.. in some respects yes, in others no.. its still a hugely capable car, even with the heavier engine which promoted greated doses of understeer... for me its the evo, thru and thru..

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I think it was mazda6man who was telling me Evo's are crap, unless you like visiting your local mechanic a lot.

posted by  jzxTT

dude;
the evo 8 does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds!
it handles better and as simply faster than the sti
i'm sure it can even beat a corvette, the car you all adore and praise

posted by  monsterevo

Your Message