?Horsepower to the wheels?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  ?Horsepower to the wheels?

Hey what upgrades do you need to do to get the power more to the wheel and not the crank. Because its more accurate if you know hp to the wheels than the crank. does anyone know what upgrades i should get? Maybe a flywheel?

posted by  CarEXPERT

This is funny sheit :laughing:

posted by  Wally

GET AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD AND NO ONE GETS HURT.

posted by  b_DuB13

if you upgrade the horsepower at all it will increase the power at the wheels and at the crank, you can't upgrade just one or the other.

posted by  Zalight

Yeah, get you a better flywheel or flexplate. Always works. :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yeah, get yourself a flywheel like DR67 said, that'll do it. What kind of car do you own again?

Once again you have the right idea with incorrect and incomplete information. Let's take example car A. Car A produces 200 horsepower at the crankshaft on an engine dyno but only 150 horsepower when on a chassis dyno. That means that through drive train losses, 25% of the power produced by the engine is wasted BEHIND the flywheel.

Now let's say that by using better lubricants, smoother bearings and a more efficient transmission we cut those losses in half. Then we would only have 12.5% power loss in the drivetrain so while the engine would still produce the same 200 hp the chassis dyno would show 175 hp.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that power can't be gained by building a more efficient drivetrain.

posted by  vwhobo

That makes sense, but the main Idea of my post was that if you increase horsepower at the flywheel then you will naturally increase horespower at the wheels, right?

posted by  Zalight

Hey seriously your a dumbass. Read my question, your answer didnt tell me nothing except that you cant read and think. What i was asking for was the flywheel and drivetrain and driveshaft parts to make less powerloss. So do they have aftermarker products to give you less powerloss through the drivetrain?

posted by  CarEXPERT

No s*** dumbass. any horsepower increasment from the crank will have effect on the wheels. but better lubications and bearings or whatever will have effect on the wheels and not the crank.

posted by  CarEXPERT

You need to chill the fu*k out because your ass has made more mistakes and stupid comments on this website in the past week then most people have since they've joined.

I was making a point, not asking a question, with my second post. And as for my first post, yes I misread what you said, I thought you werre asking if you could make engine modifications that brought the horse up at the wheels but left the crank numbers alone, I didn't realize you meant drivetrain mods.

And yes, of course you can, Hobo already listed a few mods for you before you even asked your question for the second time:

posted by  Zalight

Sorry for being an idiot :banghead: . Thanks for the advice vwhobo!

posted by  CarEXPERT

Of course that is the most likely scenario as long as you do nothing except increase power at the flywheel. But you did say "you can't upgrade just one or the other" which is a false statement.

posted by  vwhobo

How do you think a flywheel will increase power to the wheels?

posted by  Wally

Lighten the flywheel will decrease the weight on the flywheel, which will decrease the weight on the crankshaft, which decrease the amount of force need to spin the flywheel and crankshaft, which will decrease the loss of power due to the decrease of the rotational force needed to crankshaft, and so on and so forth....

posted by  Coffin Type R

What is the best flywheel to use to get max horsepower. How much do flywheels weigh.? Does the flywheel connect to the clutch and transmission? Would getting a clutch get power to the wheels easier?

posted by  CarEXPERT

To answer your last two questions go here...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

however the first questions I don't how they do it, I just know some of the physics theories behind it.

subnote:this not an advertisement

posted by  Coffin Type R

Lightening the flywheel does not now nor has it ever increased the power output of an engine. What it does is allow the engine to accelerate and decelerate faster due to lower inertial mass.

You bozos really need to put a little more effort into the thought process prior to posting. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Nowhere did i say it will increase the power output. I said was it will decrease the amount of power loss. I was just answering the question from the physics point of view. :mrgreen:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Apart from minor parasitic losses, just where is this force that is spinning the flywheel ultimately going?

posted by  Wally

A lighter one will give you a higher top speed but a heavier one will give you more torque. RIGHT?? HOBOCOCK

posted by  CarEXPERT

Damnit I was too late :evil:

posted by  Wally

Same difference. Regardless of how you want to split the hairs, the weight of the flywheel will have no affect on the power output of the engine. Flywheels do not cause a power loss, they store power and therefore maintain inertia.

posted by  vwhobo

SO a lighter flywheel is better because it will make your car go faster? THe aftermarket flywheels are aluminum so their lightweight, should i get it to make my car go faster?

posted by  CarEXPERT

Good point.

Afterthought>I guess I need to reveiw some of my mechanical physics :laughing:

posted by  Coffin Type R

No it won't make it go faster

Edit should I say I won't increase your top speed.

posted by  Wally

Then why are there aftermarket flywheels that are lighter, they have to make a diffrence because why would they sell it?

posted by  CarEXPERT

Here's your answer;

posted by  Godlaus

So a lighter flywheel will make you go faster!!! because it will be easier to spin the flywheel.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Crikey I can't keep up. I should have said it wont increase your top speed. It does effect your rate of acceleration. A light flywheel will have less inertia and therefore result in less smooth stroking of the engine. This is obvious at idle, but can result poor VE at higher speeds due to inconsistent piston acceleration.

posted by  Wally

Stick a couple of NOS stickers and put on a huge wing, oh don't forget the Type R sticker, that should add about 200hp at the wheels. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Really? I dont know about the stickers but I thought the wing was for downforce.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Can't forget the performance floor mats. a pair will get a 100 extra hp

posted by  Coffin Type R

Oh yeah, havent you seen all the civics going around with stickers and big wings?

posted by  GreekWarrior

:laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I hand tool, cranks, cams and flywheels in my shop.They are made from used aluminum turkey roasters and used foil. If you want, I can even add used coffee cans( adds a lot of strength, but almost doubles the cost). Guaranteed to increase horsepower 25 to 60%.

posted by  lectroid

Make sure you put the coffee cans on the exhaust. :orglaugh:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Can't believe no one picked up on this little sh!t calling Hobo that... :banghead:

Do you not understand this guy prob knew more about mechanics and engineering before he was even 6 then you ever will.. :roll:

Listen.. Its a great way to learn.. :clap:

posted by  2002_EVO_VII

here, here :thumbs:

posted by  Coffin Type R

EACH!!!! Each one will get you 100 extra. And how could you forget about the short stick shifter? That adds atleast 20.

posted by  Godlaus

Neons to their good for about 10hp each. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Carexpert? do you have a pen and paper? You might want to copy all this down.

PS2 system in car - 20 hp
500 CD changer - 15 hp
Titanium driveshaft - 25 hp
34" rims - 40 hp
Neon spark plug wires - 15 hp
Purple (not any other color) steering wheel - 10 hp
New tachometer - 5 hp
Racing Gloves - 10 hp

All are good to my word

posted by  Godlaus

:fu: :finger: :fu: :finger:

posted by  CarEXPERT

Chill out, dude. Its all in good fun. :orglaugh: :mrgreen:

posted by  Coffin Type R

I know but you guys r taking it too seriously, like 10 posts of that shit.

posted by  CarEXPERT

What we are doing is describing the ricer. tell you go to this site and check it out and you will see what we are talking about.

http://www.riceboypage.com/

posted by  Coffin Type R

I love this shit. I actually think that CarExpert believed it.

Lambo doors: 15 hp
Spinners: 15 hp ea.
Chain plate cover: 2500 hp
Etc.

posted by  StiMan

Yeah, it is funny. But we might create another Riceboy? Did you think of that?

posted by  Coffin Type R

Man that would be a sad day for CF. We would have stooped to a new low.

posted by  StiMan

DAMN that site was funny. There was a computer that had a vtec sticker on it :orglaugh: . They said it makes the computer faster.

posted by  CarEXPERT

That is what a ricer/riceboy is. You see now?

posted by  Coffin Type R

Some cars there are nice, with bodykits and lights and wing but would it be a rice car if the engine was heavily modified too. Some of the cars look nice but the stickers were just gay!

posted by  CarEXPERT

NOw there ARE LIMITS. If you have Mitsu Eclispe GT and you put a spyder badge on it, that is wrong. Because it is not a spyder.

posted by  Coffin Type R

Are there JDM integras type R. im not talking about the engine.

posted by  CarEXPERT

best place to look is on the internet

posted by  Coffin Type R

I'm banned from the net, can you look it up for me?

posted by  CarEXPERT

:laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Your Message