CarExpert Ram Air Advice 101

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  CarExpert Ram Air Advice 101

What are your thoughts on Ram air systems and how they work?

posted by  Wally

1. They suck
2.same as stock system
3. thanks, I am an expert.

posted by  CarEXPERT

:clap: :clap: :clap: A clap for the idiot.

posted by  GreekWarrior

A Ram air system is a form of induction commonly found in alot of domestic performance catalouges. This is a form of intake placement that introduces the intake cone or filter into directly oncoming air. Sure it all looks good on paper, the only problem is that for the RamAir to have a noticable forced induction effect on the intake of the car you would have to be traveling in excess speeds of Mach2.

If you've ever seen NASA(I think NASA?) they created an engine with no moving parts. They simply fly the engine behind a jet and once it reaches high enough mach speeds the air is moving fast enough to be compressed and fuel is added and ignited and the engine works.

RamAir hoods look cool and they might actually cool your engine off. As far as being a superior form of intake setup, I'm going to have to give it a shifty nodd. Oncoming air may be colder and more dense, but I doubt it would be any more effective than having a cold air box or simply a cold air intake.

posted by  DSMer

We talking about the scramjet? Hmm that sounds familiar. Must be some really clever people out there to get it of the launch pad wouldn't you say?

So are you articulating thoughts on the ram air or do you have some supporting reason why it doesn't work as advertised?

posted by  Wally

Not to sound like a post whore, but CarExpert you are a idiot. He asks you a question and asks you for advice, and you a self proclaimed sarcastic and not to mention idiotic sorry excuse for a "CarExpert" gives him a sorry excuse for a reply much less an insult.

Well, my take on RAM cold air intakes are that they pretty much have no effect on the performance of the engine. Even in CarExpert's sarcastic and insulting words, there is truth, not much of a difference then your stock air box.

posted by  aerith

you need mach 6+ for scramjet

nah, he's still googling the info

:wink2:

posted by  joshf2

I've allready given a supporting reason as to why it does'nt work as advertised. I think you must have missed the part where I said.

As you should know, cars don't travel at mach speeds. Therfore the system would'nt be as effective as it is said to be.

posted by  DSMer

Actually I was being benevolent on this occassion, because one can only take so much of a hiding.

The truth, as CarExpert will concur, is that it does not "look good on paper".

I will let you investigate "stagnation pressure". If you have trouble ask and one or two other members or myself will help you...yes believe it or not thats what some of us do, just as we appreciate it when we get help without abuse.

posted by  Wally

Investigate what? I've dealt with enough RamAir applications to simply tell you they don't work as well as somone would have you beleive. Although I have no idea what stagnation pressure(or the sum of the static and dynamic pressures of a fluid) could have anything to do with air induction.

But, whatever you'd like to beleive is what you'd like to beleive.

posted by  DSMer

Well you can't say that I didn't try :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

BTW just what is it you do in the auto industry that makes you such an angry ant and gives such a skewed viewpoint on the basics?

posted by  Wally

The point of a question is to obtain information that matters to us and only us. That is a combination of your own interpretations of who I am complied to project a statement that you think deserves a response. What I do and who I am is not the topic at hand nor does it serve any purpose to your benefit.

More simply put, stemming back to our original topic, you can choose to believe what you want about ram air intakes and "stagnanation pressure". I've seen what the dyno numbers and test prove. If it is so that you'd like to beleive what it is that you say you believe, continue to do so....

So unless you have anything else to add relating to the topic at hand I'd say this discussion is over.

posted by  DSMer

Well you did come uninvited afterall. I was asking CarExpert for his opinion not yours. I open the door to you and you slam it in my face, how rude is that. :laughing:

posted by  Wally

I have no idea of the merits of a ram air intake performance wise, but the bling factor on a chromed version sitting on a big V8 is pretty high. :hi:

posted by  Who?

This is a forum, everything you post is open to the public. If you wanted CarExperts opinion then you could have simply sent him a private message.
(Just letting you know for future referece. Just in case you have an problems later on about the publicity of your actions and words. :thumbs: )

posted by  DSMer

DSMer, I read the thread "everything you need to know about intakes" but when your saying ram intake uses the oncoming air, then is the filter in the engine bay or out? I thought that a ram intake was just like a regular intake in the engine bay and is short and uses the hot air in the engine.
In catalogs I see there are short ram intakes too. Are they the same thing but just shorter?

posted by  CarEXPERT

ignore me

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

First off, DSMer you're dead wrong, you don't have to be going even close to mach speeds, why do you think higher speed drag cars have them? Such as funny cars. You think they're going to lower their aerodynamics that much for no reason? I think not.

Ram air doesn't do anything until you hit 120mph. Even then the difference is so unoticeable, and it can hurt the car more than it can help it due to the lowered aerodynamics. In otherwords, on street cars, it's just for people who think they're cool.

CarExpert, ram air intakes the also called hood scoops by less proffessional people. Because it's forcing more air into the engine bay, and once you hit a high enough speed, the engine needs more air than what's in there, then that's where the ram air comes into play, it gets more air circulating in the compartement.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

First your openly admitting that RamAir even at 120MPH does nothing. My statement was for "RamAir to have a noticable forced induction effect on the intake of the car you would have to be traveling in excess speeds of Mach2." Maybe Mach2 is a wild exageration, but I know the numbers in speed are really up there for noticable gains of power.

Maybe you should read my words more correctly before you make such vivid assumptions as to my being "dead wrong".

I have'nt seen to many cars where the intake element is outside of the car unless they were running blowers on top of a big block V8. No the filter is within the car and is placed behind and opening anywhere in the direct flow of ambient air. The opening or funnel could be in the bumper, under it, on the hood, in the side panels, just about anywhere you're going to get airflow at moving speeds.

ShortRam(as I explained in the article also*yeah budy sure you read*) is simply a very short intake that is usually contained within the general engine area

posted by  DSMer

You still don't need to be going in excess of any mach speed. It's useless on a street car I said, hurts in more than does any good. In the faster drag cars it does give a very noticeable gain. When you're going 300mph at 10 grand your motor needs every bit of air it can get.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

in a ram air u ket like 5 horses more at the crank which is like .5 to the tires buy a CAI instead

posted by  8G Galant

When a engine is at high speeds (rpms) it creates a vacuum because air canot be puched in fast enough so it must be pulled. With a restrictive airbox like on the lt1 the vacuum becomes bigger than the airbox and air hasd to be sucked through cracks in the airbox very much hindering performance and breathing capability of the enigine. With ram air there is no worry of the vacuum becoming to big for the airbox because the air is sucked straight out of the sky or whatever. So ram air is better than a restrictive air box but the only thing i canthink of that would make it better than a cold air intake is that the air coming in the scoop may be a little colder because its farther away from the engine. i read in a magazine a while back that the ram air system on a 04 mustang mach 1 really only had a "air ramming" effect above 80 mph.

posted by  Enthusiast

i just revived a thread im sorry

posted by  Enthusiast

Thats alright, atleast it wasnt a "What car should i buy, car A or car B?" thread.

posted by  car_crazy89

I don't like the ram air intakes, its been proven that cold air intakes gain you more horsepower(I think its because it has a longer tube which means the air has a longer time to get cooled off and the entry point(filter)is located outside of the engine bay for cooler temps, right above the wheel well on my car) Sombody correct me on this if I'm wrong. BTW, I don't even understand why companies still sell ram air, is it just because it was developed first and they need to get rid of them?

EDIT: AEM V2 is even better so it seems.

posted by  Accord_Man

And just exactly where was this proovin and who prooved it? HUH? A longer tube would give the air more time to get hot because its closer to the engine longer. Now think about it. On your car you said the cai is located right above the wheelwell. so its probably what a foot and a half away from the engine? but still in the engine bay. Now think of all the heat your engines giving off. Its all being trapped in the engine bay because heat rises and the only place to get it out easily is out from under the car but it wouldn't go there because once again heat rises. So that means your cai is sucking up all that hot air. Now ram air sucks it right up out of the atmosphere. Now which one makes sense hot air from a heat soaked engine bay or cool air that comes from far away from your engine.

posted by  Enthusiast

wow, actually kinda glad this thread was revived. just fyi, nasa didn't develop the scramjet on their own. a lot of the development was done down here in sunny queensland, in our mech eng department at the uni where i studied.... *basks in own glow*
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/f_scramjets.html
it mentions it here.

posted by  windsonian

the cai entry point goes down through a hole and is outside of the engine bay so it is closer to the ground, hot air rises so it is getting colder air. Thats how it is on my car at least, besides i said correct me if i'm wrong so don't get mad at me.

posted by  Accord_Man

sorry when I talked about ram air I was thinking about short ram. Re-read this quoted post and substitute "short ram" wherever it says "ram air." Again, sorry about the mistake.

posted by  Accord_Man

Dont worry about it.

posted by  Enthusiast

you fools dont know sh**. . .a ram air has to doo also with the type of hood. . it has scoops in the hood that way when you are drivin the scoops work with your intake and help suck in air quicker and more efficient. . . (spellin sucks ass). . . just think of it almost like a turbo. but not quite. . .when you press on the gas you go faster, the scoops help by directing the air flow straigh to where it needs to go. . cuz if you look at regular intakes . .. .where does the air come from. . mostly the bottom of the car. . .ram air solves this problem by letting air come in through the hood. . :screwy:

posted by  96-GSX-RHD

Thank you for repeating almost my exact words. I care not to hear from you when your going to tell me i dont know "sh**" when you just said almost exaclty what i said. :fu: :clap: :fu:

posted by  Enthusiast

its funny cuz i was still on the first page... .but its even funnier. .you talk about askin for help when you think you know what it is. . :screwy:

posted by  96-GSX-RHD

How do you account for hood intakes that face the driver?

posted by  Wally

There are two types of scoops (that i can think of) that face the driver. Cowl induction and heat extractors. When a car is in motion air is built up at the windshield. The air trys to go up or down it can go down because theres a hood so it goes up and over the car. put a "scoop" or a cowl induction entry point right there and the air can be forced downward into the intake. On heat extractors it just gives the hot air a place to escape (since heat rises) and it helps the engine bay stay cooler. :2cents: :2cents

posted by  Enthusiast

And Ram Air doesnt always have to do with the hood. What about to old 4-4-2s they had ram air down on the front end

posted by  Enthusiast

its still basicly the same shit cuz its helpin push air where it needs to go. . .as for the two different types of hoods. . read above. . nailed it on the head. .

posted by  96-GSX-RHD

Almost a year after the fact and I still don't know if there has ever been a thread on this forum with more misinformation. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Well, that'd be a good thing.

posted by  67Coronet383

Misinformation? I didn't think there was any information. :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Just think, you could have accomplished the same thing by taking no action at all. Leave it to an engineer to find the hardest way possible to do something.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah, but the coolest.... remember, we don't care about servicing :wink2:

posted by  windsonian

Your Message