CarExpert Cam Events Advice 101

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  CarExpert Cam Events Advice 101

Ok you didn't supply me with much info on the ram air, perhaps your forte is camshafts.

If I had a turbocharged 4 pot 1.6 litre DOHC with an 8.1 CR and wanted to run 20 pound intercooled boost for extended periods, what cam duration, offset and lift do you think would be a good selection? Don't worry about piston to valve interference I can always fly cut the crowns.

posted by  Wally

is there something you know that we dont? :wink2:

posted by  joshf2

:laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I think wally is trying to shame CarExpert out of his "Expert" name. Good job wally, looks like im not the only one who feels mocked by his self proclaimed title. I normally wouldn't care, but this guy can't even live up to "Car Amateur." It's probaly a joke, but hey, i find it offensive.

posted by  aerith

hmmm..... Is the answer 12, or is it 32. No wait dont tell me, this was just on Jepordy. :mrgreen:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Hell no, I am just looking for some solid advice :wink2:

posted by  Wally

i'll lock in, A: 12, thanks eddie :laughing:

posted by  joshf2

Is this for an engine with variable cam timing? Also does it have the dynamically adjusted CAS? :wink2:

posted by  Who?

To think about the realism of your situation, you're probably driving an import. Realisticly its probably a honda. There are'nt but a few good cam gears on the market for 4 cylinder hondas. At 20lbs of boost I'd say you're running some moderatley serious horspower out of that 1.6L block. I'd suggest a cam at 242 / 240, 195 / 196, .391 / .378. Along with a nice set of HKS adjustable cam gears with at 20 degree adjustable area. You said extended periods of times so I'm assuming this has to be a daily driver.

However if you really wanted to get crazy... lets say that car just needed to run down the quartermile for oh say a few minutes of run time and alot of cooling off. Why not go with a nice set of 276/274 .415/.390. Not sure about the offset on that one. Why don't I leave that up to the Wally miester to figure out? Does 196 / 198 sound good?

Of course this is just thinking logically what I would slap in my 1.6L 20lbs turbo racer... Not saying I'm right...

posted by  DSMer

Your Message