swap or keep d17

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  swap or keep d17

Should i keep and build up the d17 in my civic or swap. If swap which way b18 or k20a.

posted by  cjwilliams180

k20a is better, ck ebay, they sell the whole suspension set up, also battery needs to be moved to the opposite side. am getting ready to do the same mod. eng set up approx 2k. also honda dealer does change over for some $$. don't for get the computer change over.b18 to expensive for me

posted by  doug wong

The D series is NOT a good engine to mod. MY suggestion is a built B18b and turbo it. For the price of a 220hp/153tq K20a you could have a 300-350whp/300wtq turbo b18b. AND it drops in a lot easier than the K20a.

posted by  thunderbird1100

d series can be good, its a strong block and good for boost... my friends d series was beating GSRs left and right

posted by  mazda6man

Probably stock GSRs

posted by  CarEXPERT

D series is not a strong motor... They dont use D series motors in any kind of racing. Either they use a B series or K series now (in drag they are moving to F and H series motors).

What is wrong with you? He asked for input, not stupid remarks. Its better to have a NA k20a with less horsepower then a turbo b18 with more horsepower, turbo creates too much torque which equals to uneeded wheel spin due to the FWD setup of the civics. Plus the k20a is a great motor, not saying that the b18 isnt, but I personally would go with the k20a.

posted by  aerith

Even with the more money you save over getting the K20a ($5500) compared to getting a B18b ($800), surely you can afford an LSD to get rid of most torque steer and wheelspin. :2cents:

K20a into your car would be hard and expensive to install. I would get lower compression pistons and boost it and get some way to get more fuel in like ECU and fuel pump, injectors etc.

If you want to swap, swap a b18c1 (GSR VTEC) because its much easier than the K20a and cheaper. B18c1 will have more parts than the k20a and boosting it will be much easier.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Your Message