Civic Feul

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Civic Feul

i was wondering would it matter if i put in octance 87 vs, 89 or 91 in my 1997 civic? i beleive the user manual said to use 87 fuel, and thats what i have been using. however people tell me that 91 and 93 are better, because they cost more and contain less volitile substances. so i wanted to know should i switch to octane 91 or 93, or continue with regular? thanks

posted by  aspen

well, if you use octane you need NOS first. Octane fuel would be best with NOS because the mixture will casue the piston to explode morer. It would be awaste of money to use octane fuel with out NOS. So if you get the octane, install NOS on the car.
PS. if you dont know what NOS is it is a bottle and when you push a button on the steering wheel NOS goes into the engine and you go superfast that everything is blurry. (watch fast and the furious if you still dont know what NOS is) :2cents:

posted by  CarEXPERT

I feel for you guys. The lowest RON rating for unleaded petrol in Oz is around 91-93, lead replacement 96 and premium 98.

posted by  Wally

i just go to quick trip cause you can can 87 and 91 octance fuel for the same price..so i get 91

posted by  Eclipse_2004

There is no reason to buy 89 91/93/94 for your car.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The same price? Doubt it. I've never seen higher octane fuel the same price as 87..not even when new places open up.

We can pat the back of environmentalist liberals of the 70s for our shitty fuel in the U.S.

On the West Coast they dont even GET 93/94 like we do on the East Coast. They get the lovely Choked down horrible 91 octane thanks to the lovely Californian representatives.

We do get 94/100/110+ but, you'll have to visit a near-by track Sunoco for that and expect to pay $3.50-$4.00/gallon for 100 or 104 (which our 93/94 here in Georgia is only $1.99/gallon right now).

so there is no advantage of using 91/93 over 87?

also i have seen gas stations where 87, 89, and 91 were all the same price, the price of preimum+, so everyone gets the 91.

posted by  aspen

exactly thats what i was talking about..before this thunderbird guy comes along and says no way...dont say it aint so unless u see it :banghead:

posted by  Eclipse_2004

please let me help you out dude! stop talking and you won't sound like such a fool. and morer isn't a word btw

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

this has nothing to do with that question but i have an 89 civic hatch and i ran 2 and 1/4 inch pipe from the header back without a cat and my question is am i losing hp by removing the cat

posted by  89HONDACVC

More than likely lost some low end power, but gained some overall.

posted by  Wally

No, you can gain hp but it will be illegal to drive witout one

posted by  CarEXPERT

if tha manual says to go with 87 then go with that, having higher octane fuel in your car will in no way help performance(at least not in a stock vehicle)
but what you can do is run a better quality fuel such as chevron. 87(usually86) octane from chevron is better than 91 from a cheap place such as am/pm, due to the additives they use such as techron

posted by  carlos

They must do that out only on the west coast... Because they've never done it over on the East Coast.

I could be wrong but:

Octane ratings only reffer to how much the fuel can be compressed and remain stable. So if you have higher compression engine, you should run higher octane fuel. If not then the fuel could pre-detonate on the cmpression stroke. You should always run high octane fuel on performance applications, if you have forced induction, Nitrous Oxide, etc.

posted by  Zalight

On turbocharged applications you need to run premium fuel. (Im not sure is "premium" is spelled right.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Yes...Thats exactly what I said. High octane, as in premium.

posted by  Zalight

fuel is depenant upon what the motor is up to. for example, my old beater jetta hated and i mean hated 91. why? because it isnt meant to use it. whereas 87 makes everything happy. hell my 82 GS rx7 runs better on 86 than 87. granted that is hard to find but still, point remains.

posted by  Low Impedance

are premium or octane gas prices higher than regular

posted by  CarEXPERT

1.99 for 87
2.09 for 89
2.19 for 93

thats the pricing currently in new york.

posted by  aspen

That is probably more to do with tuning.

posted by  Wally

^^eh...thats vague.

posted by  Low Impedance

And deliberately so. Because I am now getting a hang of things here I am making sure my posts are succinctly vague and never to the point, unless I absolutely need to be specific. Then you will envy my implicit knowledge and adore me for being so wise :mrgreen:.

But seriously if you are running an higher octane rated fuel, the slower burn rate allows you to retune your engine for earlier and longer flame propagation, so at blowdown you aren't emptying unburned gases or moving the peak brake effective pressure down the stroke like you could by running 98 in an 87 tuned engine. Bring on aftermarket ECU's I say :wink2:

posted by  Wally

wtf did u just say?

posted by  Inygknok

That"s a hell of a reply! Straight and to the point. :thumbs: Told you, you would like this place, or was that WHO? :oops:

posted by  lectroid

YO dawgs whattup.YO does any o yall know this answer. If u get like a Civic type R and the normal 2005 coupe and they both have da same engine, which ones like gonna go faster. Maybe its the weight maybe aerodynamics. whatever . just answer. if u can.lol :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

posted by  zap3000GT

:orglaugh: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH :orglaugh:

TYPE R..

posted by  CarEXPERT

look at his other posts well post. i think he is serious...

posted by  Low Impedance

Your Message