2nd or 3rd Gen Eclipse?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  2nd or 3rd Gen Eclipse?

Hey, I am getting ready to get a new car. I was wondering which one would be better. A 97-99 Eclipse or a 00+ Eclipse. Performance and Exterior Styling ... Can any1 help me?

posted by  kai4271

I wouldn't get either, I would get the first gen.

but If I had to choose, I would probably go with a second gen.

posted by  Zalight

2nd gen GSX!!!

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

I also must say 1st Gen...although it's harder to find ones that arent beat on

posted by  NISSANSPDR

i would go for 97-99 gsx they better looking too

posted by  slvracurarsx03

First gen but if you must, second.

posted by  DSMDriver

does anyone like the new ones that are comin out 2006???

posted by  slvracurarsx03

looks ok... bottom line is not going to win any races... since the moment that car goes near the track mitsu is gonna void their warranty! lol ;)

The '06 ones are butt ugly...

2nd Gen's to me look bloated in the rear and they have J.Lo asses...plus they are a bit heavier than the 1st Gen's...I'd rather take a 1st gen w/a good motor (haha...oxymoron)

posted by  NISSANSPDR

thnx for the input guys, I was planning on turning one of them into a tuner. I was thinking of a GSX. But I found a GS-T

posted by  kai4271

GS-Ts have no traction... (FWD) so look for the GSX or if not you will be bitching later... (my friend John, made that mistake)

BAHH. Theres no such thing as a 3rd generation Eclipse. Theres a 1st and 2nd. Then a 2000+ Eclipse... but no 3rd gen. I don't care what you say it does'nt exist and I don't wanna hear about it *covers ears*.

Anywhos go with a 99 GSX, can't go wrong. AWD, strong 4 cylinder, 5-speed manual or autmatic, launches like fat women at a pile of free donuts.

posted by  DSMer

1st things 1st, go with the 1st gen! They look, feel, smell a whole lot more then 2nd gen. Maybe goin a bit over board, but I loved 1st gen's, always wanted to get one, but couldn't coz of money, now i can go out and buy 10 of them...

Hahahahahahaha! Nice, and yet, somewhat terrifyingly true...

posted by  Zenith

excuse my ignorance but what does generation mean? Do generations mean how the model change as in looks? Like when you say 1st generation is it mean that it was the first models made???

posted by  CarEXPERT

I think we are used to your ignorance by now :thumbs:

Generation is when you can group together all the same years of the same body style...

Like Z31 was the 1st generation 300ZX...spanned from 84 to 88.5 (there really wasnt an 89)...90-96 was Z32, which was the 2nd generation.

posted by  NISSANSPDR

generations reffer to body changes in a model

first gen eclipse:
http://www.team-2g.com/show/1st_gen_eclipse.jpg

second gen eclipse:
http://www.logicrealms.com/4images/data/media/1/ProSig.jpg

third gen eclipse
http://turbomagazine.com/tech/0111tur_eclipseturbo01_zoom.jpg

posted by  Zalight

I thought there wasnt a third gen eclipse.

And in honda engines, there are generations too... b16a2 is the second generation and b18c5 is the fifth gneration right??

posted by  CarEXPERT

DSMer was just saying there aren't third gen eclipses because he thinks (as do many) that the third gen isn't worthy of the eclipse name.

posted by  Zalight

Engine don't have generations. They are assigned model numbers an phsyical characteristics. Mains, bolts, heads, etc...

A new generation is simply a change in overall body style of a car. The level of the change is dependant upon what the automakers choose to do. But generally small things like headlights won't differentiate a generation. The engine could stay the same but the body style has to change in order for it to be considered a new generation.

There is no 3rd generation eclipse :mad2: .

posted by  DSMer

there is a third generation Eclipse.... but no 3rd generation DSM... since the vehicle went away from its roots completely. However it is still a Mitsubishi made machine, and they still claim it is an Eclipse, and there are similarities to the older generations. However I agree with DSMer to say that the Eclipse of these days is nothing short of pitiful as I don't like the body, they went to a 6 cylinder engine, and have in many other ways destroyed the DSM namesake. A crying shame.

posted by  Flame Roller

yeah, the 3rd gen really changed. Now Mitsu's trying to incorporate the 2nd gen look into the 4th gen Eclipse ... Since they moved it to the Gallant platform, everything has been downhill. I really wished that they brought back the turbo AWD ... and im trying to look for a GSX.

posted by  kai4271

Does DSM mean mitsubishi cars? or engines?

posted by  CarEXPERT

It means Diamond Star Motorsports. It was a combination of Mitsubishi and Chrysler back in 1989. I'm not as sure to the affiliation of Mitsubishi and Chrysler at this time, but I beleive they have disbanded.

posted by  DSMer

Which is why the eclipse went downhill...

I think the closest thing to DSM in mitsus lineup now is the Evo; all wheel drive, turbo charged 4g63.

posted by  Zalight

Oh yea!! Those are sweeeeeeeet!

posted by  Zenith

That does'nt make much sense. The Evo, while created arround the time of the of the DSM era was never affiliated with Chrysler. It was always soley created by the Mitsubishi Racing corperation of Mitsubishi. An Evo is far from a DSM. The only thing between them are the engines. The AWD drivetrain and transmission on the Evo and DSM are completly different.

The Evo remains under the MR company and I don't forsee the DSM ever coming back again. The original design was scrapped, the drivetrain and engine will most likley never be offered in an Eclipse again. Not that the V6 was bad, its just that Mitsubishi was'nt able to do what Nissan did with the VQ platform.

The 4G63T is a great engine but just like the SR20 and RB25/26 all good things must come to an end for a better engine to take its place.

posted by  DSMer

Yea, I know that the EVO isn't DSM, im saying its the CLOSEST thing to DSM out there right now.

posted by  Zalight

The EVO is a pretty sweet car though. I compared the EVO specs with other sports cars and found that the EVO is pretty good for a 4 banger. I heard there was a 700+HP EVO :laughing:

posted by  kai4271

EvoBoy owns a 1200HP Evo. Google him you'll see his 8 second beast.

posted by  DSMer

u should get a 2g 95 awd dsm... if u need tips to make it fast around 10 seconds ask me.. im not the smartest but i do kno 2g eclipses
2g 95 eclipse/talon awd tsi (the 95 edition is the closest to the 1g u jus might need to change the throttle body and a few parts..)

posted by  4g63

Dude, stop saying the '95 is the closest thing to a 1G, because that's horse @#$.

posted by  Bino

Your Message