98 Altima = 240SX?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  98 Altima = 240SX?

I've heard from a few places that my 98 Altima shares the same engine as the US 240SX, so is it possible to use the same upgrades? I doubt it, but I thought i'd ask. Also, while on the subject, any recommendations on some performance upgrades that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

posted by  ThirdeYe

yes the 240sx and altimas share the same engine KA24DE
if you just want 20whp its going to cost you bout $1000-$1400
i prefer you get nice body kit on that and save some money
later, get some nice rims on them.

posted by  slvracurarsx03

I already have some pretty decent Kazera Wheels on it.

posted by  ThirdeYe

The engine has slighty differences...I am sure you know since yours is FWD and the 240sx's is RWD

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Why is it that u would wanna put money into making ur car look fast when its performance is crap, thats just ****ing stupid. Dont waste ur money on the body save up and buy a performance mod.

posted by  ThisguyhasADD

The performance isn't that bad, get a life.

posted by  ThirdeYe

First of all, please don't say "rims", im just suggesting this, but other people around here will flame you about it and it does sound stupid and ricer like. Call them "wheels." I personally find just upgrading the exterior and not the performance itself is pretty retarded but that is just me, its really just personal preference, most people prefer the look over the actual performance powering the wheels.

posted by  aerith

dude it doesn't matter as long as you get what we are talking about :banghead:

i think i heard him saying that he doesn't want to pay too much on performance :banghead:

Since the engines are the same, say you had a 240 and a 98 altima...lmao couldn't you switch the 240 to a front wheel drive car? :laughing:

posted by  DSMDriver

:doh: what :screwy:

Ok. Couldn't you take the engine in the 98 altima with all the other stuff, put it into the 240 and have a front wheel drive car.....

posted by  DSMDriver

Umm, not that i'm aware of. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the drivetrain, not the engine.

posted by  ThirdeYe

Aye guey.... Sometimes I wish I would'nt read these threads.....

posted by  DSMer

Eh no matter how I say it, its not gonna come out right. :banghead:

posted by  DSMDriver

I get what you are saying.

He's talking about making a 240 FWD instead of RWD. Personally I don't know why somebody would want to do that but to each his own

posted by  rcefstsfecr

i'm just curious to know if you have a 98 altima could you use engine parts from the 240sx since their the same engine. i'm not talking about swapping since the 240sx is rwd and the altima is fwd. but if i wanted to put in cai, turbo setup etc would these parts work

posted by  sk8punkmjw

Um, that depends on what parts. The pickup-truck engine in both the 240SX and the Altima are mounted differently.

Altima
http://www.benlevy.com/nissan/images/twincamengine.jpg

240SX
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/714000-714999/714305_8.jp g

So a CAI for a 240 isn't gonna work in the Altima's engine bay.

posted by  elchango36

ok i'm sure i can find cai for an altima but as far as turbo setups go alot of them say 240sx/altima but with the engines being mounted differently just trying to figure out how that would work plus it just the turbo and intercooler with no piping

posted by  sk8punkmjw

Does that have anything to do with it being fwd and rwd or does that not matter in engine mounting?

posted by  Pythias

You could put an Altima engine in the 240, and vice versa. However you would have to use the cars own transmission and motor mounts unless you were converting it to other wheel drive. But if you were capable of doing that serious of a swap, you would realize it would be smarter just to buy the other model and/or already know what it would require.

posted by  PontiacFan27

WOW your a ricer and body kits are gay unless its got the performance first

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA All the sudden switching engines can make your car fwd or rwd? wow thats a funny one

you dont want to spend alot... but you want a turbo, hmmm

thank you

posted by  Stem

Um, think about it.:wink2:

(the answer is YES)

posted by  elchango36

Yes. Think about the way the engine turns. Follow the driveline. It would be far more complicated to drive the rear wheels with a transversly (across) mounted engine, and the same for FWD with a longitudely (inline with the car) mounted engine.

posted by  Mathew

um i agree with two other people on here (but i am going to say it in a nicer way) preformance first, dont go high bill on exterior and put a fart can on yoru car to look and sound fast. looking and sounding fast cannot match up with being fast.

posted by  O-P-ET

true that....well on your part lol

posted by  Andrew0261

I thought so, but I wasn't positive so I thought I'd ask.

posted by  Pythias

Any of you guys heard of a SR20, It comes in front and rear wheel drive versions, turbo or non turbo, 2.4 litre is a bit of a joke in australia, we can't believe that any one would spend a cent on that lump of crap, if ou just want to do a few cheap performance mods try maybe a pod filter, or a new exhaust, the cars lungs are one of the only places you will get a noticable power difference without paying huge money

posted by  DRFT-R

Your Message