mitsubishi evolution VIII

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  mitsubishi evolution VIII

hey. i was wondering why noone ever gets the Mitsubishi Evolution MR edition? why does everyone only get the EVolution VIII. and i was wondering..which is faster the Evolution MR or the VIII? they are both same power and everything but the MR has 6 speed an d VIII has 5 speed

posted by  vuhuynh109

The MR is about 35k w/o markup...so it's expensive...

Here's some info on it

People tend to get the Evo VIII well first because it was out first so maybe the ones you see are the ones pre-MR era...2nd...b/c it's cheaper...3rd...b/c you can make your Evo VIII beat and MR...just not stock vs. stock...but you maybe could if you were an exceptional driver and the other guy was not...

A magazine (MPH magazine) did a comparo of the Evo RS, Evo VIII, and Evo MR on a roadcourse...the MR won by 22 ft over the 26k RS which was in last...so the question was...is 22ft worth like 9k more? The distance between the RS and Evo VIII was small...the RS had it's nose on the Evo VIII's side view mirrors (which is ironic since it's supposed to be stripped down and lighter and faster than it's portly brother). The distance between the Evo VIII and the MR was about half a car...maybe less.

One could argue that the better buy is the RS...but you miss out on alot of the power options (but you could add some of them...thru dealer or thru aftermarket if you really wanted). But the essence of the Evo is there...AWD, turbo, quick. The Evo VIII is just a bit more liveable for a daily driver. The Evo MR is just the Evo VIII quicker and better handling.

The features found on the MR will be found standard on the next Evo...the Evo IX...so if you want...you could wait til then!

posted by  NISSANSPDR

mitsu seems to be going under anyway...recent reports of heavy losses and an article from WSJ, though mitsu has denied it...

posted by  boostOn

I doubt they will discontinue the Evolution line ever, well at least if mitsu is still in the automobile business. Since the evolution line is the only product keeping the whole department alive. This generation of the eclipse is a total failure, just hope that the next generation Eclipses can live up to their hype.

If you are really an Evolution fan and you really want the best one, there are two choices either try and get the Evolution VI (by far, my favorite one, the last one of that platform, probaly the best version in evolution history) or wait for the Evolution X, which according to many magazines will use a whole new platform. As you may be able to tell, the recent Evolution VII and VIII was built on the same platform as Mitsubishi's low end segment's econo-box (The Lancer) so performance wise, its still not as ideal as could be. But Mitsubishi said that the Evolution X (could be named something different) will be built on a brand new platform that will be exclusive to the Evolution.

posted by  aerith

Just some more specs from Car and Driver.

-.94g skidpad vs. .90g Evo VIII
-0-60 4.7 vs. 5 Evo VIII
-Quarter 13.4 @ 104 vs 13.6 @101 Evo VIII
-Weighs 3300, 40 lbs more than Evo VIII
"New six-speed manual transmission with engagements almost as snick-snick precise as those in a Honda S2000"
-276hp and 286 pound-feet torque vs. 271hp and 273 Evo VIII

EDIT: Oh and by the way this is from the October 2004 issue.

posted by  ToCkS

I, too, was a HUGE fan of the Evo VI...the RS in particular...the GSR was good, the TME was great but I really dont like TM...I thought he was a prick and always made excuses when he lost...just admit you lost...dont blame the tires, the car, the team...blame yourself.

The Evo VII was better looking than the Evo VIII...but not as cools the Evo VI.

Evo VI owns j00

posted by  NISSANSPDR

the actual reason why ppl get the Evo8 is cuz the MR simply has no luxury at all. no power anything as base, not even an A/C. so think about it, is it really worth it to give up everything, even your simple radio, and pay a whole lot more cash when u could have all of that, for less? not to mention a very comfortable ride to get to ur place, or anywhere as a matter of fact.

posted by  Inygknok

the EVO MR has everything the EVO VIII has standard and extra stuff.. what do you mean it has no AC?? it has everything evo VIII does..it has bilstien dampers, HIDS, BBS rims, 6 speed and a whole lot more

posted by  vuhuynh109

MR has all those things, and RS doesn't. He probably just messed them up

posted by  RusMan

hey nissanspdr, I don't know where you got your info, but, its good everywhere but one point.

I know for a fact that its on sale in the states. Ive seen three at different dealers around my area.

posted by  Zalight

i think i actually did..... i dont know... gotta go home n check the mag i read......

posted by  Inygknok

Oh...I see what you are talking about...I copy pasted the info...I didnt realize that it said Japan only...no it's not...it's in the US too...

You're right...I just didnt read that top line...but the info was right on!

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Do I smell plagarizm (sp?)?! :hi:

posted by  StiMan

the MR is a little faster than the VIII, it has a different shape than the VIII

i would rather have the MR than a VIII

why would somebody rather have a VIII

posted by  gtr_man

A good reason would be it's hard for them to find an MR or they cant afford one

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Your Message