01 honda civic engine looses power

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  01 honda civic engine looses power

I recently purchased a used 2001 honda civic and it has an intermittant problem. When I leave work and drive home after 20 minutes at interstate speed I cross over a steep bridge and the engine looses power downshifts and will only run 40 mph then slows to 20 mph and then dies. After about twenty minutes with the hood up the engine will start and run fine to get me the rest of the way home. The delership had had the cruise control fixed right after I purchased the car. This has happened twice in the last two weeks. The dealer put it on a machinre to read the computer but found nothing, he said to bring it back while the problem is occuring but the dealer is no where near the bridge in question. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any guesses?

posted by  oliver smith

auto or manual?

posted by  Inygknok

automatic

posted by  oliver smith

check airfilter, change fuel filter, possible fuel pump weak. cat starting to clog up.

posted by  doug wong

the problem could be that it is an automatic

posted by  gtr_man

if automatic or standard, engine will not die, it will continue to rev up and car does not accelerate. also trans will start to smell bad to smoke / fire. engine stop is fuel, air,or ignition

posted by  doug wong

Your Message