Skoda 120(I wonder if anybody knows what one of these are)

Home  \  European Imports  \  Skoda 120(I wonder if anybody knows what one of these are)

This is my second car at he moment.It is a Skoda 120.When I bought it it had the older models engine.The 105 Skoda engine, and a four- speed manual transmission.Now I replaced the engine with a Skoda 120 engine.(around 62 hp)I also put in the Skoda 120 five-speed transmission.Tell me whatyou think of it.OH yeah one more thing, the 105 engine had 45hp,and now the 120 engine has around 62hp).

posted by  vwmaniac

Responding by popular request. Your Skoda seems like a nice enough car to me. I owned a few while I lived in Europe including at least two 120's. While they weren't the most technically advanced or stylish car, they were good dependable transportation. That and I made decent money on all of them. Have fun with it.

posted by  vwhobo

They are also one of the most reliable cars, Not a performance car, but good enough for daily use!

posted by  Cliffy

I agree.This year in a month I did 12 000km with it.(during summer vacation)Not a thing went wrong except for the starter motor,which was already damaged when I bought it.Also the tire popped in Austria,though that isn't the cars fault.
Now with the 120 Skoda engine, mine can do 150km/h on a straight road.
This year when I was on the Autobahn driving it, my little Skoda did 170km/h!!Though to tell the truth I was going at a slight downhill.(lol)I also think that the line that controls the speedometer is showing my Skoda's speed around 10km/h higher than it should.
I really like the car,especially the engine sound.It's a beautiful sounding low rumble. 8)
Though I must admit that the engine is very loud.(as with all old Skodas)

posted by  vwmaniac

While in Ukraine, I had the opportunity to drive and be driven in Skoda's...they are fun to drive (they just "feel" different). I also drove around in a few Volga's. They are the "Checker Cabs" of Ukraine (and Russia I suppose).

They were loads of fun.

posted by  BavarianWheels

and to offer an American POV, most Americans wouldnt be caught dead in one of those. I know I wouldnt.....how much does that weigh? if you can go 140 KMH...but then again thats only about 86 m/h, which isnt too amazing. my dad typically does 80 on the highways. with no strain to the car. however, the newer Skodas are pretty damn cool - ive seen them in some VW place in Berlin and i liked the sporty ones. some good stuff u europeans got...too bad gas (petrol) prices are so high.

posted by  SuperJew

All I know about Skodas is that I have watched the new ones rally race, and they aren't half bad.

posted by  Heat_Seeker

SuperJew, I don't mean that 140-150km/h is some super hard to achieve speed.Though what I mean is that it is quite a high speed for such a Skoda.Since in books,it says that the top speed is 120km/h.So I am just thinking that it is quite fast for my Skoda.
As do I drive my Jetta VR6 at 80mp/h on highways also,and I don't think it's too fast,but as I said it is quite fast for a Skoda 120. :D

posted by  vwmaniac

so basically you should have said that you went relatively fast

posted by  SuperJew

Do you mean like going somewhere with your cousins? :D

posted by  vwhobo

I dont get it.... :?

posted by  SuperJew

Another pointless post. Cousins... relatives... weak humor.

posted by  vwhobo

i see.....kind of :?

posted by  SuperJew

In most cases after 100mph or 160kph, there is a 10mph or 16kph speedo implication which meens that where you think that your doing 100mph your actually doing 90mph. Still, It's quite fast for that car, was it rattling at all? lol

posted by  Cliffy

Yes,the engine was rattling quite a bit. :D Though the Skoda stayed on the road,going in a perfect line as if it was glued to it.I was very surprised,since when I still had my 98 neon,at 150km/h the whole car was shaking so bad.A lot more than the Skoda.Though it's quite obvious that the Skoda's engine is a lot more rattly at those speeds than a neon's. :rolleyes:( I mean an old Skoda,such as mine and a new neon)

posted by  vwmaniac

Your Message