BMW M3 vs. Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 2005

Home  \  European Imports  \  BMW M3 vs. Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 2005

So, i'm looking to buy a car.
I've ridden in a M3, and it has incredible power.
I also like the fact that i could take people around...
SLK has more sleeker look and its performance is better (mpg)

Which car would you pick if you had the choice of M3 or SLK OR cars around 60 grands?? :hi: :wink2:

posted by  aznk0b3

I'd take a bmw over a benz anyday. Especially if you're buying a benz in the US...They're made in the US now....Therefore BMW > Benz anyday.

posted by  Juhosaphat

M3...no "kompressor" needed to keep up with the competition.

MBZ needs those little extras to keep up.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Who cares? Many of the BMW's are made in Spartenburg (sp?), North (or South) Carolina. I have seen the plant. Many VW's are made in Mexico, who cares? They use the same tools etc.

I would go with the M3, if this was against the SLK AMG (I dunno if the new one is out), it would be a different story.

posted by  StiMan

If you have $60k, the SLK55 AMG is right at that mark. A faster ride than the M3.

posted by  moostang104314

I'd go for the M3.....It's my oppinion that the SLK is.....how should I put this?...a hairdressers car :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

On what planet? More like $100K.

Back to the original poster. I'd track down a used red M5... sexy sexy.

posted by  Bino

The average M3 is around £45,000 (as far as I'm aware) here in the UK.....how does that translate to US dollars?

posted by  Cliffy

Oops, I read SL 55 AMG... that's my bad.

posted by  Bino

well, if you want performance and power------->M3
If you want daily drivabilty and versatility------->M3
If you want looks------------------------------>M3
If you want an expensive driving penis---------->SLK 350

posted by  Zalight

I added orange...lol

I think it is like $50k.

posted by  StiMan

m3 - slk is for pussies

or, you could wait liek a lil over a year for the new m3 to come out

posted by  Jay-G

£45,000 is about $82,000.

but as stiman said, they cost about $50,000, give or take a few thousand. i surely hope they arent 45,000 pounds across the ocean... i would figure closer to 30,000, unless cars are more expensive in general? :ohcrap:

posted by  pik_d

I'd go the M3, I've always liked them.

posted by  GreekWarrior

M3, I like BMW more than Mercedes anyway. Although I do love the SLK :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

cars actually are generally more expensive in England

posted by  Jay-G

This is very interesting because these 3 cars are my top 3 choices for high-end models along with the Cayman S. I think I have to agree (although I never thought of it before) but the SLK is for pansies. :ohcrap:

posted by  LoganKI

the new SLK is purty cool
, but the M# is a 4 door sedan, so y u compra ro a 2 door coupe/hard top?

posted by  ProudDomestics

Hey look...you're post #17 and #19 here...cool.

wat is yer problem, y do you keep calling me that, i think you have a crush on mihim

I do... :ticking:

:laughing: oh ya, lol

M3 definetly. I believe the sportier model of the SLK only comes in automatic too. That's a big no-no

posted by  TurboLag

Yeah, I believe the only standard transmission offered by Merc is in the SLR McLaren.

posted by  Zalight

Sorry buddy the slr mclaren comes with an auto. It could be one of those automated manuals or other fancy autos but there still auto because you dont row your own gears. Alot of mercs come wiht manuals but the autos are usaully quiker so you hear less about them.

posted by  Enthusiast

So do you consider the Ferraris (575M, Enzo) auto or manual?

posted by  windsonian

that's SC, and I drool whenever I go by. I'd definatly take the M3, but more b/c I'm biased towards BMW than anything.

posted by  jedimario

i consider the ferraris automated manual an automatic because its AUTOMATED, but i do understand that it is actually a manaul.

posted by  Enthusiast

so it would have to have no electronics to be considered a manual in your book?
I differ slightly in that I think it's automatic when it changes for you. I understand your POV, but the only difference is that a button drives an actuator to make the change, the change isn't made AUTOMATICALLY.

posted by  windsonian

If i am to consider a manual a true manual (on an automobile) i must use a clutch and throw the shifter between the gears.

posted by  Enthusiast

Your Message