BMW thread

Home  \  European Imports  \  BMW thread

This is the BMW thread!! Why do you like BMW's? Why don't you like BMW's? What's your favorite BMW? Post it here!!

posted by  jedimario

I don't like the people who drive BMWs round my end. They tail gate me all the time and drive like theres a women in labour inside.

But they do make nice engines...

posted by  fudge

They're just having more fun than you!!
P.S.-I don't drive a BMW, yet!

posted by  jedimario

I agree....maybe it's just a British thing lol.....I love the engines though....and BMW make one of the best manual Gearboxes! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I think theyre wonderful. The Germans make the best cars in the world. As well as the Italians. Hands down. Theres nothing that can compare to the quality of those cars. BMW is one of my favorite car companies.

posted by  FordFromHell351

If anyone is behind you wanting to pass...the proper thing to do is to move over. If you don't, then you're just being an A-hole.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Here's a good example of a well kept '88 M5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-bmw-m5_W0QQitemZ4561191910QQcategoryZ61 31QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice the going price...ON EBAY!!

Happens to be the one in your signature. Tell me about it. :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Especially when I'm already going 20 over the limit. I'm definitely being an A-hole. Happens to me a lot, but I live in a young neighborhood, so it's always soccer moms tailgating.

posted by  Godlaus

i like them alot they are just a diff class then most of the mainstream domestic or asian imports with very few exceptions

posted by  Xenom

If a BMW (or any other motorist for that matter) does that to me, and I'm overtaking at the correct speed limit at the time, I just stay where I am coz I don't like intimidating drivers! GRRRR
:ticking:

By the way, FordFromHell, I have to disagree with you about the Italians making good cars lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Im starting to like JediMario more and more every day!

BMW's, simply put, are the shizzle.

The reason I love them so much is because they are the perfect mix of luxury, performance and beauty. You can look at it one minute and it looks like a classy business man's car. Then look at it again and notice how unbelievably aggresive it is. Its the same way with the performance side, you can be cruising happily in comfort with the air conditioner blasting, listening to your favorite CD on the Harmon Kardon sound system on the way to the track, then when you get there, turn off the ASC and tear up a boxter or two, then cruise back home.

To me, BMW's are so amazing, because they are so well balanced.

posted by  Zalight

I think theres something wrong with you :ticking: With the exception of their air conditioning being shitty, theyre wonderful cars. Who else can make a 3.2 liter V8 huh?

Haha...Its sad but true.... :doh:

posted by  Zalight

Same with BMWs too :ohcrap: They do however get colder than the Italian cars though after a while.

well, i love bmw's! probably because i'm getting one from my uncle. a '88 e30 m3 to be exact. and it's mine in 5 days! :thumbs:

posted by  enzo#2

Very true about the AC....shame you can't see the light about the rest of the stuff...Maybe it's just me and one opinion, but I've never liked Italian cars.....they depreciate, they're unreliable (or used to be), and I apart from the Alfa's 2.4litre JTD engine, the engines aint great (The 2.4 Diesel is one of the quickest and most refined I've ever driven), infact, it was that car that the AC seemed too warm in lol
:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

What about italys supercars? You don't dig them either?

posted by  Zalight

Too an extent. I dont mind Italan Supercars, I mean lets face it, you don't need a great deal of reliability in a Supercar, and the AC's strength is hardly a priority.....They are kinda expensive though!....although so are most Supercars I guess!

posted by  Cliffy

That's the mentality of BMW drivers which annoys me. Why the hell should I move over for you? The proper thing is to stay in your line, moving over is unnessecary and potentially dangerous. Am I being an A-hole for staying at the speed limit or are you being an A-hole for tailgating me? I choose the latter...

posted by  fudge

Yeah, but if EVERYBODY is going ove the speed limit except for you, then you're the A-Hole for not staying on the right.

posted by  Zalight

NO, not at all, you are the A-Hole for speeding. Don't get me wrong, I speed....alot lol, but if other traffic is speeding and wanting to pass me......It just makes me even madder to think that YOU could cause a deadly accident with YOUR tailgating!!

posted by  Cliffy

Im talking about a situation where the speed limit is, say, 65 mph. And everyone is going 75, except for grannys slow ass in the left lane. Then Granny is a bitch.

posted by  Zalight

Why don't you try reading over your driver's training booklet from your nearest DMV and tell me what it reads about what to do when someone wants to pass you...then tell me whom the idiot is for staying in your lane and "crossing your arms" like a child.

...and it's not only the "BMW drivers" with that attitude. It's the mentality of anyone wanting to pass you...and you wont move.

I think he's from my neck of the woods, so probably doesn't know what a DMV is lol.....I assume it's what we call the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency). And as far as the Highway code goes (your driver training booklet?), it may very well state that you should pull over, but only if the driver behind you is doing the speed limit, as speeding even to overtake is illegal over here! It may also be just as a means of keeping the peace in some cases.

As far as I'm concerned, I only pull over for emergency vehicles, or vehicles doing a reasonable speed, if I'm travelling a bit slow eg; In a heavy vehicle (not very often lol)

posted by  Cliffy

The highway code doesn't state that you should pull over to let someone behind you to overtake. It states however on the motorway or dual carriageway you should stay on the left lane unless you're overtaking.

And a lot of the roads i drive on are single carriageway so there's no place to pull over. Only ambulances, police, fire service and doctors are the people i pull off but only for emergencies.

posted by  fudge

Only if the driver behind you is going the speed limit? How rediculous. Who are you (we) to "limit" the speed of a driver?

So if you are doing 65mph on the highway and in the fast lane...and someone comes up behind you obviously wanting to keep going at their pace, you won't move? Anyone that does this is an A-hole...max. It's common sense and common courtesy. BMW or Yugo...makes no difference.

:thumbs: There is NO fast lane.....speed limits are there for a reason. Fudge, you're right about overtaking, but wrong bout Doctors, I dont pull over for no Green lights :ohcrap: ....I think they're more sort of Hazard lights! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Here in the states...the far left lane is called the "fast" lane.

Speed limits are certainly there for a reason...but they're not there for you to enforce. That's why we pay taxes...the police, police the highways.

It used to be called that here too.....but it's known as the 'overtaking' lane now!.....I know I or 'we' can't enforce the speed limits....it's all about coutesy! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

...and common courtesy would say to move if someone is wanting to pass...right? :thumbs:

Ok, here's how I look at it, if I'm overtaking a vehicle on the outside lane of a Duel carriageway or Motorway at the correct speed or faster, I wont move over for an impatient idiot behind me prematurely, if I'm hogging the outside lane (which I never am, just an example), I would happily move over! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Whatever...I guess you just don't get the point. Impatience is your own interpretation of their speed.

I get the point, Bav, but you're right, maybe it's just my interperetation of their speed that's wrong......Or our different driving style, whatever...I guess it aint that important lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

It sure is especially as they have very little to gain and usually I catch up to them at the traffic lights.

The stupid amount of speed cameras and mobile speed units in our country will enforce speed limits. Good way of swindling money from the general public tho.

posted by  fudge

wow, so do ALL the BMW drivers tailgate when the other driver is going too slow?

posted by  jedimario

I like BMW because they combine sport and luxury better than any other brand...(coughMERCEDEScough)...

I really like the 3.2L M3, new 3.0L 255hp six, 5.0L M5, 5.0L M6, older 635CSi/M6, 2002, 8 series, 7 series... there isnt too many cars I dont like from BMW over the years.

posted by  thunderbird1100

No, just people like me.... :laughing:

posted by  Zalight

I hate BMW prices in general, but I love 850's, E46 and E30 M3's, and any V8 5-series with a stick. Just throwing it out there, does anyone know how that new valve system works in the new |6's. I've read about it and seen the flash site several times and I just dont see how it works. Thx.

posted by  VG30DE

Maybe it's just a romantic cencored memory of home (UK) but from what I remember of driving on the motorways is that on the whole, people do move over if I'm behind them. If they don't notice, then a flash of the lights was always enough to get the desired reaction. This is of course on the motorways, normal roads in london most people just chuck down a gear or two and go round the slow gits.

BUT...here in NZ where the limit on the motorway is 60mph (100kph) and it is legal to overtake on the inside lane (which at first I though was great) everyone has the attitude, that I've seen posted here, "why should I move, I'm going at the speed limit?" so called fast lane and inside lane both doing 60mph and purposly keeping me penned back. :banghead: If it ever rains (which is always) they go even slower!!!

I'm used to going at 80odd mph down the motorway, but here that would cause the national gaurd to be called out. I truley believe that this country has the lowest driving standards of any western country in the world. Partly caused by the fact they think they are the best. I used to be a motorbike courier in London and never got worried about black cabs and buses trying to kill me for game, i would no way ride a bike here though! It really is too dangerous.

on a different note, I currently have an old 730i which I love apart from the gas consumption. I plan to import an old 1990 M5. YOu can keep your V8 bmw's.
5.0lt V8 M5 =400hp
3.2lt I6 M5 =320hp and doesn't use a litre of oil between each and every service. The last of the hand built M5's not built next to your billy basic 520i in the factory.

I've driven both and definatley want the 3.2lt. :drool:

posted by  relicensed

That just annoys me even more lol....as for undertaking, if somebody is hogging the centre lane, I tend to still overtake, as I can just see them pulling in as I go round them on the inside lol.....Stick to the inside lane unless overtaking guys lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately. I was remembering my last sexual relationship. My fiance was always pretty conservative. We'd talk about our sex lives and we'd sometimes joke about it at times, but that was the extent of our conversations. Anyway, a few months into our sexual relationship one day out of the blue he starts "dirty talk" in bed. I'd never heard him talk that way before and it threw me off. I remembered not saying anything at first and he asked me why I hadn't said anything. I told him I was surprised to hear it because he was usually so conservative and that I really wasn't sure what to say or how to respond to it. He told me to describe the things I was feeling and things along those lines. I remember trying, but I don't think I did a very good job. I remember repeating a lot of the same things over again. In trying to make things up I surprised myself and I blurted out, "do you think other girls get it this good?" (tame version). Anyway, he laughed and of course he said he didn't know. But, I think he secretly liked that I'd said it. I think it boosted his ego or something.

posted by  suckmyballs

Ok...well thats interesting

I like BMW's primarily for their M cars...I myself own an M3...and i must say that it is amazing.

posted by  M3er

Well, first my rant: If you're on my ass, I SLOW DOWN to make you mad. Tailgating is never acceptable and only holes and idiots do it. And for the on-topic part: I like (old) BMWs because they are simplified perfection in performance, and I don't like (new) BMWs bacause they are built with holes and idiots in mind, not drivers. (iDrive, X3,X5, no manual anything except gearbox, displacement inflation)

posted by  83$+hax0revA

So in other words you fight ignorance by displaying more ignorance on public roads. Good thinking.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message