Mercedes' manual gearbox, YUC!?!

Home  \  European Imports  \  Mercedes' manual gearbox, YUC!?!

This seemed like the most appropriate place to stick this so here goes, have any of you guys ever driven a manual transmission Merc (about a '98 C or E class)? If you have you will probably agree with me in that Mercedes can't make manual transmissions. I have driven a few and in my opinion they are clonky, rough, horible pieces of crap (the gearboxes that is...I guess the cars are okay lol). Apparently Mercedes is putting a new improved box in all future cars so it can rival good gearboxes from the likes of BMW who I think make the best in the world!

posted by  Cliffy

C'mon! this thread cant be that bad...can it? Merc did used to make crap manuals! :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

ive driven one, i didnt much care for it... it was an 80s one though

posted by  mazda6man

I have never driven a mercedez, but it wouldnt surprise me to hear they have crap manual trannys, most of their cars are auto, atleast, the ones I have seen, maybe not most.

posted by  Integra_LS

Yes, I have driven more than one, and what I can say is that the current C an d E-Class Models are the first ones that have a good manual transmission.

The ones in the older Types like W210 and W201 were really horrible! You had to be very patient when shifting.

posted by  Diewaldo

manual mercs are pretty awful, if you want a manual german by a bmw, mercs are made to be driven in and bmws are made to drive

posted by  cinqyg

Have you ever driven the new C-Class? This one is as sportive as the BMW 3!

I have driven them both, so I can tell!

posted by  Diewaldo

I havent driven the new c class, is that the manual or the auto?

posted by  cinqyg

It was the manual, as I know nobody here, who buys a C-Class with a automatic.

posted by  Diewaldo

Ask an american who buys an auto :laughing:

posted by  cinqyg

Sorry Cliffy, but everyone is'nt allowed the luxery to drive and critisize cars that cost more than thier own asses. I would never have suspected anything to be wrong with the transmissions on Mercedes. Please, explain further what you mean by "bad"? Are the gears sticking in 2nd and 3rd? or is the transmission just generally grindy and hard to shift?

posted by  DSMer

Does that answer your question?.... :banghead:

If you want it answered in more detail, Merc manual gearboxes tend to have and awfull lot of travel between shifts and somehow feel dis-connected if ya like lol :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Try driving a almera there ewwwwww. you get so much side to side travel that you think your in neutral all the time.

posted by  cinqyg

Haha Oh you mean the loose gearboxes that feel like a used condom.. *Not that I would know anything about that*.

posted by  DSMer

more like chasie lane!

posted by  cinqyg

Of course they don't. They primarlily buy tiny diesel engines (and tinier gas engines) with manuals, because they can't afford the huge cost of fuel. (but will spend vastly more on the car than they would have on the difference in fuel use...).

posted by  ChrisV

i think your talking more rubish, the diffrence in purchase cost of a diesel is repaid in about 20,000 miles in fuel economy, autos are heavier for this aplication and are not so efficent at transmitting power (ie higher fuel consumption)

The cars are alot lighter, so there is no need for a big engine.

posted by  cinqyg

What's your point here? You are the ones which buy 5 Litre V 8 Cars and then drive only 50 Mph on your freeways. :screwy:

And then the American cars provide you with a 4-speed automatic that will eat up all the power and topspeed that could be possible!

I remember those imported Chryslers that went to smoke, because they could not cope with the speeds of German Autobahn, they just overheated when you were driving faster then the American speed limit. :doh:

And by the way, the European car buyer wants high-tech cars, so he won't buy an American one!

posted by  Diewaldo

Most American Inhabitants would never consider getting a luxury car like a Benz or a Bmw in Manual. Due to the general lack of Knowledge. Along with that in mind where i personaly hang out driving a manual car would be an incrediable pain in the ass and now my friend is suffering with his 300zx. I have noticed that most current BMW produced models are now equiped with either Automatic or Tiptronic. So give it sometime and i believe slowly Manual transmission is going to be a thing of the past. Some might not agree but that my personal opinion.

posted by  Denis0727

I think thats probibly an opinion best reserved for the usa.

posted by  cinqyg

We like the accelleration, and 5 liter V8s are SMALL V8s, so the cars they are in can usually handle pretty good. Oh, and just because the speed limit is 70, and the traffic jams can be huge, don't think that we don't have areas where we drive much faster.

Fuel cost just isn't as important.

And as for "high tech." you really need to point out the tech of a car that costs teh same in each location. VWs aren't any higher tech than other cars they compete against here in the US, and we don't even GET the cheap ass European cars YOU get there (i dare you to show me how low end European economy cars are that much higher tech than anything we have here, with the exception of some of the diesel variants...)

posted by  ChrisV

ok well lets stick with the nuts and bolts, lets say a rover 25 with a 1.4 k series engine. sort of thing that compeats with the civic.

The engine is a all alloy DOHC through bolt design with varible valve control multi point direct injection. Making it very light and relativley powerful. The majority of the bodywork are polymer based to reduce weight and increase durability (110bhp stock).

Then look at the C3 for example the 1.4 hpi, uses a functionally graded metal matrix composite block, again with VVC multipoint direct injection etc, even lighter 105bhp the crush can is a GARP with extensive use of light weight materials and achives a combined cycle of 50MPG (the diesel does 74MPG)

Both these cars are under £8000 ($13600) on the road.

I am not sure if you would call them high tech but in terms of materials and engine performance then they are realitvly on the ball. Good in acidents with a 3*/5 for the rover and a 4*/5 for the newer C3.

posted by  cinqyg

Your Message