BMW vs. Mercedes

Home  \  European Imports  \  BMW vs. Mercedes

Ok I've narrowed down the cars I want down to two, both entry level cars (318i BMW and c220 Mercedes), both have comparable milage (103k km on the BMW, 117k km on the benz), both extremly well kept (no rust, dents, perfect condition leather, they look new inside and out, and have been inspected;both have no major problems. So my question is what car is "better" (higher re-sale value, not that I'll be selling either soon, better mechanically, last longer, overall more well engineered). Here are pics and some information..................

1997 BMW 318I, 4 dr, auto, local $13850
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/kirbyROXOR/etgffdxcgs.jpg

1995 MERCEDES-BENZ C220, 4 dr, auto, local, $12850
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/kirbyROXOR/fddfdsftygf.jpg

I like driving them both. But I like the exterior/colour of the BMW more than the C220 and I like the interior of the benz more than the BMW. So basically I think it comes down to; does the 14k km less milage and 2 years on the BMW justifiy the extra 1000 dollars? And what one will last longer/have less problems if properly maintained (mind you I only drive about 6 000 km a year).

posted by  n00dle

A couple of things to point out here.....if the Merc is a Manual, steer clear, as untill now they couldn't make a decent maual box.....If however the BMW is a Manual, go for it, as BMW have always, in my oppinion, made one of the best Manuals.

In general though, i'd have said the BMW hands down, awhile ago, now however, I'd tend to say Merc, as long as it's an auto, as standard kit's always been better in them, and they're just as reliable as the Beemers! :thumbs:

BTW....the title of this thread nearly put me off entering it lol..... :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

He wrote that they both were auto...go for the Bimma!

:thumbs:

posted by  NISSANSPDR

go for the merc. more grunt than the beema and a little less common. they have amazing turning circles which come in handy sometimes I find, (not the biggest bonus but is practical).

but the beema is a newer car. I just think the bigger engine is always worth more and prefer the look of the C class.

btw, where are you?

posted by  relicensed

B.C., Canada. I dunno which one, I gonna go look at both of them again today , but I'm leaning towards the BMW becuase of that colour lol. Ahhh hardest decision for me to make this summer, BMW or Benz (My friends are so jealous lol).

posted by  n00dle

Bimmer, no doubt about it!

posted by  thunderbird1100

I'd go with the BMW

posted by  jedimario

LOL, easy decison for me.

When you go to look at the BMW check a few things, Check the rear trailing arm bushings to see if they are worn, also check the rear shock mounts to see if they are worn also. After 100k I think they might be in need of replacing. If they are completly worn check the metal mounts that, surround the rubber bushings, if they are bent, or torn, you will need to get the rewelded, and will end up paying out your ass, If they are not then good for you!

But yeah, Id go for the BMW.

posted by  Zalight

LOL...So he did....*must stop reading so fast* :ohcrap: :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I agree....and it's cheaper :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I looked at them both today, compared them inside and out and I think I like the Benz a bit more, just because the interior is more of what I would expect from a car of this type (high end German cars) (Wood grain/digital controls for the dials and buttons, ect.) and it is more confortable to sit in (plus I love sitting in the drivers seat and seeing that big benz insignia on the end of the hood. The BMW definatly looks nicer on the out side tho but the interior allmost seems "cheap" to me, it looks like the interior of my mom's car (all plastics, dials with no digital output for them, no back seat head rests). Ahhh hard to choose, I like them both. My mom says to pick the BMW because it looks nicer and my brother likes the benz because he says it's more prestigeous/commands more respect. And it seems more people here prefer the BMW over the Benz. (BMW 5, Benz 2 lol)

posted by  n00dle

MB = BORRRINNNGGGG. Get the Bimmer.

Got a carfax report on the BMW, looks good no accidents ever reported, milage matches up to what it is at the lot. Lost the VIN for the Benz so I'm gonna check it out 2morrow.

posted by  n00dle

BMW=1.8Litre (in most cases)....Merc=2.2litre, I know which I'd go for....and believe me it's far from booooring :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

But the MB cannot compete without the "kompressor" even at ".4" litres more... :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

BMW
dohc I4
Engine Size Litres/ cu " 1.9 / 116
Hp 138
Tor 133
Curb Weight, lbs. 2866

BENZ
dohc I4
Engine size, litres/ cu " 2.2 / 132
HP 147
Tor 155
Curb Weight, lbs. 3173

.3 L more. Benz has more torque and HP, but it is also more heavier (approx. 300 lbs), still can't decide.

posted by  n00dle

oww, I dunno Bav? I had a c280 for a while and it would take most standard 328s on bottom end to mid range power. But to be fair I would probably still have the 328 over the c280 just cos the overall package, but you know those 318s aren't really a beema in my books. Like he said, the interiors are ugly and cheap, and if it aint 6 cyl then it aint really a beema to me. IMO!
I do think at this level, I'd have the c220 over the 318 every time. And I drive a beema too.

posted by  relicensed

Something is weird about the 328's...they are a bit odd. I prefer the E30 325i's. Stock 5spd are smokin!! Add only a chip and you have yourself a rice killer...not to mention the MBZs

posted by  BavarianWheels

I always thought that the 1.8/1.9litre BMW's were 12-Valve SOHC's...

posted by  Cliffy

I'd have to agree with you on that one. I always liked the e30 and have seen some very nice examples. I have only recently warmed slightly to the (uh??) next model up. except M3's! but when that model (standard 3 not the M) first came out, I hated it! Can't knock the look of the new 3 series though, that is a hot car.
But anyway, give me a 91 M5 and I'll drive off into the sunset forever :drool:

But here in this thread, I gotta go for the MB! Bav? would you really choose a 318 with the cheap interior over the MB? really?

posted by  relicensed

I've never EVER driven a Benz that ha sbeen more engaging than a stock Accord. Matter fact, a stock Accord would be WAY more engaging than a stock non-AMG C-Class. Plus the C220 is a little porker when compared to a 318.
BMW = luxury and sport
Benz = Pure Luxury

Ok the lot I was going to buy from is closed for about a week, and I really need the car by monday so I still want these cars but I'm gonna most likely buy from another lot. How does the c280 compare to the c220?

posted by  n00dle

Still the same boring car with a little more power.

I agree...I love the early to mid 90's M5's.

As for the last part of that statement, I agree with the fact that you tend to have to PAY for the luxury you get in a BMW....especially a 318 :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Carfax is so helpful, I looked at a Benz c220 today at a Mazda lot, perfect condition,good price, drove really well, only 70k km..... Got home ran the VIN, :umh: it has about 170 000 km, lol :doh: . They didn't even know the odemeter was tampered with and had to take the car off the lot until this is sorted out. I really don't know how a car lot that's international/has so many lots could not do a check on the VIN, I mean it's right on the windshield. CARFAX shows that in 1998 the milage was 13 000 km then in 1999 it jumped up to 158 000 km then one year later it was at 50 000 km :screwy: . Oh well BC was rated one of the worst places to buy a used car in Canada.

posted by  n00dle

much better car! I know for sure it's a six cylinder, it pulls some good burn outs (which you will never get from the auto bmw's). Hammers down the motorways with ease!
As far as 220 to 280 goes, compleatley different car to drive.

Except like cliffy said, you have to pay to get the luxury in beemas! There's WAY to many cheap looking (inside and out) 318s.

ps. they must make honda accords different in America, everywhere else there kinda old mans cars! just saying.

posted by  relicensed

if i were you i'd get the mercedes, 3 series bimmers are pieces of crap unless you upgrade their inteirior a bit. you might as well get a honda, though bmw's are really reliable and quik. the mercedes is a bit more sophisicated and executive. and they are in my opinion very nice cars, for what one gets a con, it makes up for it in another area. both are great cars, and very sophisticated, if the bmw has an upgraded intiriori'd go with that, but of it dosent id definitly get with the mb. cant make up my mind can i... :screwy:

posted by  collareddrifter

The only "upgradeds" to the BMW are some after market BMW pads on the seatbeats. But it does look brandnew inside (leather isn't cracked, no wear on the steering wheel, shifter isn't worn).

posted by  n00dle

This topic can never actually not really end in anything other than a flame... just look at the previous thread with this same title.

posted by  StiMan

That's why I said the following :ohcrap: ...

:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Ya, lol. Me too actually. :doh:

posted by  StiMan

:mrgreen: Ahhh I bought the beamer, I just love how that car drives. Thanks for the opinions guys! :mrgreen: Love the "aquagruun" colour.

posted by  n00dle

Merc.

posted by  Oomba

Thanx for that input, Oomba...but you could have posted that oppinion in either one of the numerous other similar threads of this type as he's bought his car now lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message