swapping old VW beetle engine for a FWD engine. Possible?

Home  \  European Imports  \  swapping old VW beetle engine for a FWD engine. Possible?

im planning on getting a VW beetle(the older models)
but i will only get one if it is possible to drop in an engine that was made for a FWD toyota, Honda or RWD, etc
cus i live in the philippines and its hard to come across euro parts, Japan parts are no problem.
so is it possible?

posted by  machspeed

I've seen a VW bus that was running a 20R toyota motor with the stock bus transaxle. You could go with a rotory but your best bet would be a Subaru motor cause their roughly the same size and there both flat 4's(well most of them are). Your biggest problem is the radiator cause there isn't much room or airflow under the decklid.

posted by  x1/9-rally

You can certainly do the swap as described above, but... Aircooled VW's have a huge following in the Philippines, a number of active clubs and even some pretty big shows. Surely if these other people can find parts for their cars, you should be able to as well. Plus, you'll be keeping your ACVW all ACVW which will make it more valuable.

posted by  vwhobo

well... those guys with the VW's here in the phil. order out the country to buy those parts,
i dont got much cash thats why im doing a conversion,
and i think i can run the radiator in front no problem, just need to cut a vent

posted by  machspeed

That'll have to be one big hole to get enough airflow to cool an engine. Are you gonna try and keep the deck lid on?Or take it off and make a custom engine compartment?

posted by  x1/9-rally

Your Message