Does Anyone Here Know About Buying a Porsche?

Home  \  European Imports  \  Does Anyone Here Know About Buying a Porsche?

I am thinking seriously about buying a Porsche - I can't really afford it :wink2: , but I'm thinking of buying a Cayenne SUV. Does anyone have experience with a Porsche? Would you recommend them? (Any model or year - not just the one I am looking at)

posted by  jimeverett

If you cant afford why buy one? Do you like seeing vehicles get repoed?

posted by  thunderbird1100

Owned 6 of them. 4 of the 944's (one went over 300K miles), a boxster, and a 911.
Very reliable well built car.

But again...why buy if you can't afford it? Even with a warranty, it's still expensive to maintain....

posted by  DiabloSV

.........$20,000 repair bills and a mortgage later :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Umm... not gonna help you here. If you can afford a rich man's car and you arent a rich man, dont buy it.

posted by  StiMan

before you you buy...how about trying Porsche's Driving experience to see if you even like them...

it's better than test drive...you may find it's not right for you.

and look at TCO (total cost of ownership)....

posted by  DiabloSV

God, the Cayenne is the worst Porsche imo. A Porsche SUV, lame. If you want a Porsche, and are on a limited budget, get a 944 turbo. They sell for under 10k.

posted by  PontiacFan27

For some reason I find nothing lame about a 450hp 460tq mid-size SUV that can go 165mph and handles better than some sports cars. Not to mention it's one of the only FEW good looking SUV's out on the road. Not to mention is a capable off-roader with almost 11" of ground clearance (Air ride suspension).

They dont all have the 450 hp engine, thats the top of the line Turbo. The base one (still $45k ish) has 247 hp.

Edit: oops, I think the Base one is lower than that by a bit...

posted by  StiMan

I do :fu:

SUVs are lame, if you wanna haul people, get a minivan. If you want offroadability, get a Jeep Wrangler, or bigger a Hummer. If you want sport get a coupe or roadster.

posted by  PontiacFan27

What if you want to haul people off-road, and then speed away from the cops? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Since when is it more economical and cheaper to buy a minivan, a hummer and a sports car rather than just getting an SUV that does all three? Plus you cant drive all three vehicles at once!

THAT'S why people would buy a Cayenne/Cayenne S. :banghead:

I think Cayenne interiors feel very cheap, and I was quite dissapointed the first time I sat in one. The Carrera interior is much nicer, and feels more Porsche-like.

And yeah I think its lame that Porsche went into the SUV market, but don't get me started on that.

posted by  Mathew

Lol! Very nicely put.

The fact is that people that buy Porsches often have other vehicles, too. Many have high end SUVs. Porsche rightly assumed that if htey were buying SUVs anyhow, why not make a Porsche one to sit next to the Porsche sports car in the driveway instead of an Escalade, Range Rover, or BMW. Or, if they couldn't justify a sports car as a only car or a family car, why not make a car they COULD justify, so that Porsche could still get THOSE buyers?

They worked with VW for economies of scale, but engineered the best utility vehicle they could, with the best onroad performance of any SUV while still retaining towing and offroad capability. It truly is the "Porsche of SUVs."

Porsche was looking at the market that already HAS a porsche, but buys a different brand for the daily driver/family car/tow vehicle. So they built an SUV with all teh engineering expertise of Porsche the sports car company. While still retaining much of what SUVs were supposed to be good at.

The average sports car, as a car, has some deficiencies which require you to have another vehicle to do many of the things you require a daily driver vehicle to do. Like carry more than a comfortable front passenger and a really scrunched up rear passenger. Having Porsche build both your fun car and the practical, all terrain, people and stuff carrier that it shares the driveway/garage with makes sense for those that have the money to do it.

I can see everyone's gripe if Porsche was replacing the 911 series with this, but that isn't the case. This is a Porsche that can do a lot of things that the regular 911 cannot do, while retaining a lot of what it can do. Being sold to those people of means that still cannot justify owning only a sports car, but want the same levels of quality engineering and ability.

http://www.izoom.com/porschecayenne_towing.jpg

http://www.niello.com/catalog/2003041817540073a.jpg

And Pontiacfan, I HAVE a Range Rover SUV. A comfortable daily driver, good in all conditions, easy to carry everything we need (like 4x8 sheets of plywood and roofing supplies last weekend), comfortable for trips, more versatile and tows more than any minivan and more dialy driver friendly than a pickup truck.

The fact that you can't figure out why other people might want something you dont' proves how closed minded and inexperienced you really are.

posted by  ChrisV

i'll get you a link to an ebook with all you need to know about buying a porsche

posted by  Benjin

I KNOW you did NOT just tell somebody to buy a minivan . I seriously cannot put into words my disgust for this statement, I'm borderline dumbfounded. That is just the most retarded, idiotic, stupid thing I've ever seen on this discussion board.

You want to buy a Porsche? Oh, you should go buy a minivan instead, that's way cooler. I mean seriuosly, did you fall and hit your head this morning? Did 75% of your brain leak out of your ear after you fell? Did they cauterize the wound with a branding iron to stop the rest of your brain from falling out?

I have absolutely no respect for you any longer... sorry.

posted by  Bino

I don't agree with him either, but what's wrong with minivans?

posted by  hondaman

This model is not off-the-charts expensive. I was half joking about not being able to afford it. Yes, it will be a little tight, but we can make it.

posted by  jimeverett

My statement was not about the actual purchasing of the car, it was about the fact that any repair on the car (however minute) is quite expensive. It was a piece of knowledge my father gave me when he was recollecting a MB sedan that he bought from his mom after his Nova started to die after law school. The car didnt cost much, but the fact that it broke alot and that every part was expensive (the oil filter was even some special thing that could only come from MB) during a time he had little money made him come to that statment. They have financing and such for buying the car, but they dont usually have programs to pay for maitenance. :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

Alright, alright, I deserved that. I can afford it - we will just have to budget wisely. Sorry to mislead you.

posted by  jimeverett

Your comments about the repair are VERY helpful. I know someone with a Jaguar who regrets the day he bought it for THAT reason. That is definitely something to take into serious consideration. Thanks.

posted by  jimeverett

Excellent ideas - I am already following up. THANKS!!

posted by  jimeverett

No prob man, just didnt want you to dig yourself into a hole. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

the issue of repairs shouldn't be one for the first few years. And if you lease it, it should be a non-issue unless you do something to break it in a non-warranteeable fashion.

I've owned a number of older Porsches and never had a repair cost issue.

posted by  ChrisV

Very true - that is one of the reasons i am running this thread... :wink2:

posted by  jimeverett

Maybe there is a difference between the older models and the current?

posted by  jimeverett

Why lame? I am just starting to explore the possibility now - I have no assumptions. The 944 turbo wouldn't work with a family.... :wink2:

posted by  jimeverett

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

posted by  jimeverett

German cars (on average) now have the second worst reliability (US cars are first, then German cars, then Japanese) on average. Now I know that ChrisV and tons of other people are gonna get pissed by that, but its fact, its in a Automobile mag from earlier this year. Its simply because they are trying to make them all so complicated now. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

And to think I thought you were going to rag on him because in another thread he was saying stuff TOTALLY against buying minivans. Now it seems he's recommending a minivan over a Porsche Cayenne S. I think he MIGHT be bi-polar, or quite possibly jus ta hypocrite. :laughing:

No, it is a fact. VWs are the worst offenders in the reliability ratings. Porsche's aren't to bad, and the fact is, you don't have to pay for repairs in the warranty period. So cost of repairs for the first few years is pretty much a non-issue, as I said.

The thing is, I hear people sayiong don't get an old Porsche or something like that as the cost of repairs is so high. The fact is, most of them don't need major repairs, only minor things that can often be lived with. So when I hear the same thing about newer ones from non-Porsche owners, I have to take teh comment with a grain of salt, as it's merely hearsay. And new ones should need no out of pocket expenditures for repairs for quite a while (the Porsche dealers are usually better about that than the VW dealers are).

Whether they are in the shop a lot is a different story, and one I can't comment on from personal experience. But it should still not cost the owner during the warranty period.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks

posted by  jimeverett

That's a shift. I had always heard that German cars were the top when it came to reliability. So it sounds llike they WERE, but have lost some of the reliability they had.

posted by  jimeverett

Thats what I said just forgot the apostrophe, sorry. :laughing:

jimeverett, if you are looking for a really reliable car your best bet is a Japanese car, but if you want that Porsche, theres really nothing else you can do.

posted by  StiMan

Actually, his best bet would be a Porsche too.
http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/images/2005089a.gif

Number 2. Followed closely by Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac etc...

posted by  hondaman

Whoa, I have never seen that kind of results... hmm....

posted by  StiMan

I know it's what you said. I was agreeing with you that is IS a fact that German cars aren't so good anymore, and showing that it didn't upset me. :thumbs:

And like I said, newer Porsches aren't that bad.

posted by  ChrisV

Cool. Didnt wanna start another flame war over this. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

(THIS GOES FOR THE PEOPLE WHO COMMENTED A FEW PAGES AGO)Not everybody wants an ugly mini van just because they want to be able to bring more than 1 adult and 2 little people to but in the back seat of a porsche. It is one of the very few luxury suvs and it is very nice in my opinion and i find a 43,000 to 60,000 $ car in no way "cheap" as you explained it

i do have a question from somebody WHO HAS OWNED a porsche 911( which means if u dont own on i dont care) how often did you have to get maintenance on it and about how much did it cost each time?
THNX:smoke:

posted by  LORELAIIZME

Thats an extremely broad, question and do you mean maintenace like oil changes and routine stuff, no much more expensive than normally, a Ive done a few myslef, or major repairs, because those tend to be rather expensie due to packaging of the vehicle and other variables.

posted by  Enthusiast

how often did you HAVE to get maintenance????? Bad question. Because, asking only people who've owned one how often they HAD to get it maintained is basically asking how often did it break down. I'm sure any GOOD owner has it maintained when it SHOULD be, not when it HAS to be. And you don't need to be an owner to answer that question. So you can "not care" all you want... doesn't make you any smarter.

posted by  windsonian

For all the talk about expensive Porsche repairs, there's a post just a few below this one (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=27552) describing a repair that was less expensive that the exact same thing on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

posted by  OneOfEm

Your Message