2005 Jaguar Stype or 2005 Mercedes E500??

Home  \  European Imports  \  2005 Jaguar Stype or 2005 Mercedes E500??

hello all, i need advice on my next car. by the end of this year, early next year i'm looking to get a new car, either a 2005 Jaguar Stype or the Mercedes E500. which do you think is a better car?? there are slightly changing the Stype for 2005, the bumpers, hood and rear will look different tehn the current model and I have always loved that design. however i test drove a E500 and that is a nice car as well, can't decide. although i can get a full equipped Stype for about $10k less then the Benz... help??.....

posted by  jsmoov24

well, what do you need this car for? what will its use be? how much are you realistically willing to spend?

inquiring minds want to know.

posted by  SuperJew

well this will be purely a pleasure riding car for the weekends. i currently have a 1995 Plymouth Acclaim that I use to go back and forth to work with plus to drive in the snow and rain and I have a 2001 Infiniti I30 that I will be trading in for a new car. i really don't care for the new BMW 5 series design and from what I see of the new re-designed Lexus GS series its ok but I wouldn't buy one which leaves me with either the Stype or the E500. what do you think???

posted by  jsmoov24

i think you should sell the Acclaim instead of the I30. then get the E Class..its newer and is more reliable than the Jag.

posted by  SuperJew

I recomend the Benz. I do not like what Ford did with Jaguar. In my option if you want a nice Jag you have to shell out 80 or more grand to get a XJ. Plus with the E500 you are going to get a lot more BHP.

S Type
3.0L 235 hp V6
4.2L 294 hp V8
4.2L 390 hp V8

E Class
3.2L 221 hp V6
5.0L 302 hp V8
5.4L 469 hp V8

I would go with the Benz

posted by  Car Guy

You can't go wrong with either car. The Benz is not as solid as past Mercedes, but it's still a great car. The Jag is worlds above older Jags in reliability, while retaining all the style of Jags of old. While Car Guy doesn't like what Ford did with Jaguar, his criterion is typical teenager: hp.

As the owner of a couple older pre-Ford Jaguars, I LOVE the reliability of the new ones married with traditional Jaguar class. If it were my money, the Jag would be my choice.

In the end, you're the one that has to live with it and look at it in your driveway. Pick which one makes you smile more. We can't tell you which that will be.

posted by  ChrisV

:2cents: pick the jaguar s type

posted by  archangle

how about some back up as to why you say this garbage? :roll:

posted by  SuperJew

thanks for the feedback everyone, its greatly appreciated. now i'm really confused, i was just reading through some MB forums and a few people have complained about the car, a couple of electrical issues and other little things like that. another thing is i read that you can negotiate about $2k below invoice for the benz and only $1K above invoice for the Jag but thats in Cslifornia, not sure if that would apply where I am in New Jersey.. additional advice would definitely be appreciated...

posted by  jsmoov24

All I was saying was that I dont like what Ford has done with the Jaguar body. If you still want a Jag that looks like a Jag you would have to shell out a lot more to get a XJ as they are the only new ones that still look like a Jag And my comment to BHP was that you would be getting more BHP for the buck in the Benz. Even the XK 8 does not look all that great to me I would much rather get a SL 55 or something like that. But again this is just my option

posted by  Car Guy

Fair enough. You do know what a Jaguar 3.8 Mark II and 3.8 S type look like, right? You do know that the current S Type looks like a Jag, right? The S Type was designed by Jaguar Stylists who worked for Sir William Lyons, who penned the older Jaguars. yes, the XJ looks very much like an updated version of my Series III XJ6, but the XJ6 was not the only older Jaguar.

http://www.nb.net/~silva/Automotive_Cars/jag+s-mkii.jpg

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B2018.jpg

http://homepage.oninet.pt/931muy/s-type1.jpg

http://www.bmcno.org/Show03/O1.jpg

http://www.autocar.dk/LHD_stock/stock_pictures/JAG_MKII_I.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Nice Mark II with Minilites. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

Hmm I stand corrected :thumbs: But in my option I like the old XJ6 style and the new XJR. But if I had to choose from the two I would still get the Benz.

posted by  Car Guy

very nice 3.8 S sedans. jaguar did a great job replicating the older sedan.. hey guys, do you recommend any other cars in this class??

posted by  jsmoov24

the new 5-series from BMW?

posted by  SuperJew

the interior of the 5 series is nice and the front exterior is too but the rear design is awkward to me. plus I driven a 745i and that whole iDrive system is very difficult to get used to. but I think I will go test drie one just to see.... alot of people seem to like them...

posted by  jsmoov24

I think you'll find the iDrive system on all new BMW's has been made alot simpler so that isn't much of an issue now. As for the original question, I'd go for the Merc as I'm seeing too much of Ford in most new Jags, the switchgear especially, dont get me wrong, I like Ford...Just not in a Jag lol. That's my opinion though and I've never really liked Jags anyway :thumbs: If you decide to try something different, I would deffinatelly consider the 5 series :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I would go with the E500. I love the styling and (in my opinion) hate the styling of the S Type. The back is good...front is junk. Any ways...the E500 I expect is more reliable and probably got more hp as well as better handling...Go for the E500 all the way!

posted by  StiMan

Wouldn't the new XJ be more of a match for the Merc? not that I'd influence anybody towards a Jag anyway but I just thought for the money it was a better rival...

posted by  Cliffy

Actually the SType in my mind matches up, because the larger XJ matches with the S-Series MB.

posted by  StiMan

I did consider that fact but I think that the S-Type is a very similar car to the new XJ in style and performance, so I suppose that are both options :thumbs: although the XJ is more expensive

posted by  Cliffy

Yes...but I was thinking size...he is looking at a medium sized car just like the S and the XJ is a full-sizedly huge car...maybe that is what he wants...I dont really know...

posted by  StiMan

I was actually thinking about the new 2004 XJ series, the XJ8. For the money you get alot of car and it is the flagship of Jaguar whereas the E500 is not for the same price... do you guys like the new XJ?? I have read reviews that this car is one of the better built Jags in a long time.. others says that Ford has designed too much to look like a Ford...

posted by  jsmoov24

I will admit that Ford has turned around the company, but I believe that they still have reliability problems that the MB wont have...the styling is ok, but I would still go with the E500...

posted by  StiMan

Your Message