Hello!

Home  \  European Imports  \  Hello!

Sorry.....bad ortography, I am not English.
Why?
American, big cars...7m long.., 20litres for 100 kh/m
-Lincol
-Chevrolet
European cars, mediums cars 4,5 m long..., 10litres for 100kh/m
-Mercedes-Benz
-BMW
-Volvo
-Saab
someone would help, Why big diferences?, thanks.
Sorry.....bad ortography, I am not English.[/SIZE]

posted by  Euspa

Simply put, America is a single, affluent country 3500 miles (5600 Kms) wide, with cheap fuel. Instead of luxury cars being something only the truly wealthy could afford, ours were designed around the middle class. They are large because they can be, and because most towns and cities are not centuries old with tiny little streets.

Much of the central 3rd or more of the US looks like this:

http://www.coral-lab.org/~arm1/digital/my_midwest/my_midwest-Images/23.jpg

Can you tell how big the cars are that are specs in this picture? Truly, they could be anything, as even the biggest cars are tiny compared to the landscape.

Tiny little cars are simply not a necessary design ethos here. And the cities we have, have evolved around the cars, so that even large cars can be (relatively) easily driven or parked in them.

We are used to having space to be comfortable in.

posted by  ChrisV

Well put :clap:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

for once, i was hoping chris would have been a jackass to him..... deserved it.

posted by  Inygknok

Except it's a common question posed by European car enthusiasts who simply don't understand what they are looking at. Had he said American cars were stupid becaseu of being bigger, I would have probably laid into him, but he phrased it more carefully. Now, let's see if he comes back and tries to learn or if he decides to argue. ;)

Our car sizes are based on our inherently understood freedom of travel. A freedom not reserved only for the wealthy.

posted by  ChrisV

and not one of you three has a yank tank in their sig. :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Lol! Ironic, huh? At least I own "yanks" and have definitely owned "yank tanks."

posted by  ChrisV

hehe, i am technically not american though ;). just that since i am Puerto Rican, i have american citizenship automatically for being a commonwealth. so in a way, i shouldnt have a yank tank.... maybe a fun sized tank :thumbs:

posted by  Inygknok

I see a Ranger :hi:

posted by  99integra

One interesting thing that Euspa forgot is that beside the fact that American government is waging wars to get their citizens cheaper fuel and better life (why not use it?), European cars are growing in size from year to year. Every new edition of same model is longer and wider for a 10 – 20 mm (take passat as an example) and eventually these two industries will end up same. But, in the big cities, in Europe where streets are tight, there is very hard to drive ML Mercedes, S class, Escalade or basically any other car that is big and it is even harder to get a parking space, so Europeans prefer popularly called “Golf class”. Taxes and many other motivations are done to prevent Europeans from driving big cars.

posted by  ngluvakov(euro)

Every genius mind holds inside dose of insanity...
http://www.geocities.com/ngluvakov/my_ride.jpg

posted by  ngluvakov(euro)

Your Message